Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to paint all the black pieces to match the white plastic panels. I need paint code to match the white plastic.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
I'm going to paint all the black pieces to match the white plastic panels. I need paint code to match the white plastic.
the white body panels are molded in that color if I am not mistaken if you are after that dipped in a vat look just paint it all. good luck.
karl

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
Color Code

The color code (paint code) MAY be on the identification plate on the driver's side "B" pillar, right below the "Made in France" - it is on the Euro smarts. Then again, the MIC plastic panels may not have a paint code as they are not painted like the metallics.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Most good auto paint suppliers can do the same thing as Sears, Lowe's, Home-depot and others do with the computer paint analysis software.

Take your front panel (easiest to detach) in to the auto paint store with this capability to have the white color matched (call around to see who has this capability first) ...

Do not bother getting Sears or Lowe's etc.. to do it, as the house base colors and the auto paint base colors are all different

Failing getting a color code, or having any auto paint suppliers in your area that can computer select the color......... find a crash repair center and find the one or two auto painters in your area that has been doing it for decades...you would be amazed at how many of them can tell exactly what brands and mixes will be so close you can not tell the repair was made.... these are the old birds that have learned how to adjust for fade and deterioration even when they have the factory color code...

Be sure to tell them what color the White is going on top of....!!!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Take your front panel (easiest to detach) in to the auto paint store with this capability to have the white color matched (call around to see who has this capability first) ..
You should also have someone at the auto-paint store come out to the car for a look. Anything plastic that you paint will need adhesion-agents in a primer, and some kind of flex agent in the color coat (plastics have different coefficients of expansion than metal, and different plastics often need to be painted differently from each other). If not you could have a real mess on your hands when the paint starts coming off.:mad:

·
Registered
970 Posts
You should also have someone at the auto-paint store come out to the car for a look. Anything plastic that you paint will need adhesion-agents in a primer, and some kind of flex agent in the color coat (plastics have different coefficients of expansion than metal, and different plastics often need to be painted differently from each other). If not you could have a real mess on your hands when the paint starts coming off.:mad:
He speaks the truth - plus the textured plastic usually needs some sanding/prep to smooth it out.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
The above is good advice even for the Black Tridion... to make an all white smart you are going to paint white over the Powder coated Tridion and some of the Black plastic parts of the roof.... so be sure to take the car tot he paint guys or the paint supplier and tell them exactly what all the components are and what they currently are coated with....

·
Registered
871 Posts
Its a scratch!! I would rather paint it and buy the panel after there are about 20 scratches. I think that panel is close to 200.00.

Meaux :)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about the blue paint code??? Please?? someone scratched mine.

Meaux:)
My body shop had a real hard time matching the paint, got 2 different codes from smart niether sample was even close. He finally had it scanned. And the computer. Matched it almost perfectly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
@ giantkiller:
very nice! i bought a spray with custom-mixed CA8L (the official code) - a member of our club let it scan too and the machine also said that the code is correct. i'm going to spray some smaller parts the next days - if the code then really apears to fit, i'm ordering a little more paint, so i can paint my plastic-parts too. :D
but i got a black tridion and therefore the mirror-caps become black - would be not so nice in my eyes, if the mirrors near the black tridion would be white...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
@ giantkiller:
very nice! i bought a spray with custom-mixed CA8L (the official code) - a member of our club let it scan too and the machine also said that the code is correct. i'm going to spray some smaller parts the next days - if the code then really apears to fit, i'm ordering a little more paint, so i can paint my plastic-parts too. :D
but i got a black tridion and therefore the mirror-caps become black - would be not so nice in my eyes, if the mirrors near the black tridion would be white...
yah black mirrors would look better I think too with black tridion. blacked out headlights would look good too. It's a bit of a job heating them up to get them apart and then prep and painting and sanding and painting and sanding.
then melting them back to gether. But I think it's worth it. If you don't want to mess with it yourself. Smartune does it for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does any one have a chip on the plastic? I have a chip on the panel right below the driver's head light. They told me at the dealership in Devon, PA that this was injected plastic and the color should be the same throughtout. Well it isn't, I have a silver metallic and the under the chip is black. Does anyone have any suggestions? If this is plastics as well and I going to have a tough time with the paint?

Thanks for your sugguestions - Denise from Bucks County, PA

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Does any one have a chip on the plastic? I have a chip on the panel right below the driver's head light. They told me at the dealership in Devon, PA that this was injected plastic and the color should be the same throughtout. Well it isn't, I have a silver metallic and the under the chip is black. Does anyone have any suggestions? If this is plastics as well and I going to have a tough time with the paint?

Thanks for your sugguestions - Denise from Bucks County, PA
your car has metalic paint on black plastic like my blue one ask your dealer for some touch up paint for the "chip" lots of cars have plastic body parts most auto body shops know what to do.
karl

·
Registered
105 Posts
@ giant:
well - mine where the first white with the brabus-headlights in germany. ;)

the idea for the black mirrors came, as our member "z" showed me his...

he also got the black lights now. should do another photoshooting. :D

what are those "spikes" on your rearspoiler giant?

@ meaux61:
the code for the "exciting blue metallic" is CA9L!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts