Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, does anyone have any advice on painting a Smart Car? Mine has the clear coat peeling off and just looks terrible. Is there a brand of spray paint I can purchase that looks decent?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
...it's not the paint...it's the labor of the prep work that gives you the ultimate paint job...
...getting rid of the peeling clear will be key..
...adhesion paint promoters will be a most for a plastic car....

Jetfuel....Ford tuxedo black color

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello, does anyone have any advice on painting a Smart Car? Mine has the clear coat peeling off and just looks terrible. Is there a brand of spray paint I can purchase that looks decent?
I recently repainted my 2009 (Rally Red) because of clearcoat peeling. Preparation of the panels is key to a satisfactory outcome. In my case we removed all the panels and sanded the old clearcoat (mostly) off. At that point there still was significant damage to the original paint and the panels. More sanding and bodywork was required. Most automotive paints today already have additives necessary for paint to adhere to "plastic" so that isn't an issue. I would suggest that if you are thinking of simply hitting the car with rattle-can paint you are not going to be happy with the results. In your case you may want to find a set of panels that are another color so there isn't the peeling clearcoat damage problem and reduce the time and effort required to "prep" the panels. Incidentally, I found that if the panels are "reinstalled" in a certain order it saves a lot of time. Anyone contemplating this project should contact me and I'll send them a sheet I put together of how to reinstall the panels. Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
  1. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle City car
    Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle City car
    Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle City car
    Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car City car
    Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car City car
  2. Hello, does anyone have any advice on painting a Smart Car? Mine has the clear coat peeling off and just looks terrible. Is there a brand of spray paint I can purchase that looks decent?
    Apologies for the double pics but a lot of prep (wet sanding) I used a product called Automotive Touchup, great product and decent match even though my Smart is metallic blue and 12 yrs young. Good luck
  3. PS go to YouTube painting a smart car

1 - 6 of 6 Posts