Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 fortwo has the dreaded peeling clear coat issue. I tell people she's molting.

Research has convinced me that wrapping is not the solution. Anybody have experience with wrapping plus the molting issue?

Anybody care to discuss painting the panels? Art at Madness said it's pretty much like painting plastic bumpers... Also that new panels are available in only black, silver or white for about 1650. None are the color I want.

Thanks in advance for contributions.

·
Super Moderator
1,719 Posts
Curious - is your current color red? There have been lots of reports of that color "molting."

Len

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, mine's blue. Alan (smart car go-to guy) from the Ft. Walton Beach club had never heard of a blue one molting before. Apparently the red ones were notorious for it. I guess I just had to be special.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Before wrapping your car. Have you thought about replacing the bad panels on your car. That was a idea feature, about damaged body panel. For the smart car. I would look for salvage panels, on line. Contact this firm. They might be able to locate a panel color for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link to the dismantler! I live an hour away from the nearest dealer, and no idea how far from a parts place big enough to be helpful. I'll check with them today.

Doing some research has convinced me that wrapping the car isn't a solution, so I don't have to go looking for a place that'll do a good job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before wrapping your car. Have you thought about replacing the bad panels on your car. That was a idea feature, about damaged body panel. For the smart car. I would look for salvage panels, on line. Contact this firm. They might be able to locate a panel color for you.

Talked to Mike at autobahnsmart. Out of all the cars they have, one is blue--the rest are white. I'm going with white. It's immediately available at a decent price. I'll do some checking on painting and decide if I want to leave it white or not.

And, one of the guys there has a blue one that is molting as well. That makes two.

Thanks for all the input. I'll post pics when she's done, whether she's white/silver or brown(copper)/black.
What color do you have in mind?
I really want a coppery brown with black cell (which HAS to be repainted so I'll stop being irritated at the obvious difference between the original paint and the paint after the deer attack).

Anyway. Black wheels would be nice but I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy them, so I thought painting the existing wheels to match the body might be an option. Or paint them black. Is painting wheels a reasonable thing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a paint scheme I wanted and didn't have the time or space to do it myself. That, and I was intimidated by the whole thing. I happened to have a little extra cash in my pocket so I paid a local lo-dollar guy to do it.

I pulled all the panels off to minimize masking/prep that needed to be done to lower the cost. Stripped it bare so the only thing left on the car that needed paint was the visible parts of the cell.

For the low dollar I didn't expect much and that's what I got. A 30-foot paint job. Looks good from 30 feet, but any closer and it starts to fall apart. The wheels, painted 3 colors, were especially rough but from 30 feet I really like the effect. And despite the guy claiming the paint would adhere to the plastic just fine, it does not. I don't dare run it through a car wash.

The upshot here is that in the process I learned I don't need to be afraid to do the job myself. I am now fairly confident I can do at least as well as this "professional" did, if not better. Probably better. Pull every panel off and masking them is completely unnecessary, I can hang the panels so they're easy to shoot from any angle, no one panel is very big so handling is very easy, and once all the panels are off masking for the cell is pretty easy. Painting the wheels like I want is going to be a fiddly job that will probably end me, but a one-color job would be very easy to do well. When I get my shop built to work in I'm going to Plastidip the thing and get myself a 10 foot paint job, maybe even 5 foot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Just a note to say many thanks! I ordered my panels from autobahnsmart today, and should have them in a week and a half or so. The entire car cost me $600 plus freight. All together, a little over half what new ones from Madness would have cost.

I'm going to leave the panels white and paint the tridion cell a copper. Unfortunately the best color I found is powder coat only. If the color I decide on for the cell is close enough, I may be able to have the wheels powder coated.

Monday I'm having the window tint redone, and after the new panels and painting are done, I'll have the interior detailed and the headlights refinished. A brand-new 2008 car!

·
Registered
2009 451 Rally Red, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40, Wix XP 51356, 185/55R15 tires, 44 psl
1,044 Posts
Dupli Color makes Paint Shop colors, premixed...

(Click on the “Colors” tab)

You can find the quart cans for $25 on Rock Auto...

Just remember, primer/ base coat affects the color of the top coat...

And you will need a clear coat also...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info! I'll forward to my brother who will be doing the painting. He's wanted to paint a car and a friend of his has left an old Toyota with him, but I don't think he's touched it yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts