Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 451
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the beginning stages of a makeover on my '08 Passion. The panels will be white. The wheels and tridion cell will be copper. I want to do the wheels first.

Powder coating would be great, but expensive, so I've been looking into painting the wheels. An advantage is matching the wheel and tridion cell color. I just can't believe how much the paint costs. Then you add on the cost of removing, replacing and balancing the wheels.

Has anyone left the wheels on the car and painted them by hand? Can you paint clear coat by hand?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,810 Posts
If you don't want to go to the expense of braking down the tires and wheels, at least remove them from the car. You won't be able to properly mask them if left on the car and you will get better coverage and way less mess if you mask both sides of the tires. If you just plan to paint the front side of the wheel, you can still properly mask the inner barrel and keep any overspray off anything you do not want painted. Good luck and please show some photos when you are finished.

·
Registered
2008 451
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, 1983JZR3W. I'm passing your comment on to my brother who is helping with this project.

I think what you're saying is that no, it's best not to leave the wheels on the car because you won't get the right coverage otherwise. Would this be the case if I painted the wheels by hand?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,810 Posts
If you leave the wheels on the car, it will be very hard to brush paint them or spray them with out getting paint on other parts. I am thinking, shocks, springs, the inner part of the wheels, the lug bolts, etc. If you want the job to look like it was properly done, please take the time to remove them from the car. If you don't have a floor jack, jack stands, or even a lift, you can always take off one at a time to paint. It will take longer, but will be worth the effort in my opinion. I am almost 75 and have been modding cars since I was a teenager. One of the first things I learned, take your time to get the best results. It will be well worth it when you stand back and say with pride "I did that myself".

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
...if clear coat if cracked...and corroding aluminum they will require stripping to bare metal

...if the clear coat of the wheels are in good shape and not showing corrosion underneath then remove wheels...clean well with soap and water...laundry detergent does a great job so does dishwasher soap....degrease...scuff wheels with red Scotch brite....get some cheap playing card sets and place length wise and staggered between tire and wheel to keep paint out.....
....spray away....

Jetfuel...BTDT

·
Registered
2008 451
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you again. This is the explanation I was looking for. If my brother doesn't have the equipment to lift the car, I'll have to pay a professional to do it.
...if clear coat if cracked...and corroding aluminum they will require stripping to bare metal

...if the clear coat of the wheels are in good shape and not showing corrosion underneath then remove wheels...clean well with soap and water...laundry detergent does a great job so does dishwasher soap....degrease...scuff wheels with red Scotch brite....get some cheap playing card sets and place length wise and staggered between tire and wheel to keep paint out.....
....spray away....

Jetfuel...BTDT
That still requires removing the wheels, which is our stumbling block at the moment, or trying to save the cost of removing/remounting/balancing.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
...a floor jack or whatever you use to lift the car....do one wheel at a time ...or place some wood to hold the car up if no jack stands are available....do this at your own risk....
...no need to remove tire from wheel ....that's what the playing cards are for...

Jetfuel...not a brain surgeon....

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Here a good wheel painting procedure. From a Scionlife forum. It’s all about good preparation.

·
Registered
2008 451
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here a good wheel painting procedure. From a Scionlife forum. It’s all about good preparation.

Thank you so much. I've passed it on to my brother.

Well definitely advise what we end up doing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts