Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an all Electric Smart Car. Range is 67 miles. I would like to know where to take my car for service. The local Mercedes Benz dealer will not service a Smart Car. Riverside is a bit far for my liking. Any place closer?

Thank you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an all Electric Smart Car. Range is 67 miles. I would like to know where to take my car for service. The local Mercedes Benz dealer will not service a Smart Car. Riverside is a bit far for my liking. Any place closer?

Thank you.
Hey a LOCAL smart ED owner!, I'm not the only one out here in the Desert!! I did the drive to Walters MB/Smart dealer in Riverside. They were great, but I did have to stop at the Walmart in Moreno Valley charging station to charge up each way, & I asked Walters to charge my car, spec their 220 charger - the one out front is 110, while they were working on it. To save aggravation & energy I skipped the 60/91, leaving walmart I took Alesandro to victoria to adams, the drive is very scenic esp. victoria which a historic horse drawn trolley route dating back to early riverside history. I too wish Palm Springs MB dealer would oblige us with service, but the attitude I got when I went in, after pulling up in my SMART ED really put me off.. shame.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hey a LOCAL smart ED owner!, I'm not the only one out here in the Desert!! I did the drive to Walters MB/Smart dealer in Riverside. They were great, but I did have to stop at the Walmart in Moreno Valley charging station to charge up each way, & I asked Walters to charge my car, spec their 220 charger - the one out front is 110, while they were working on it. To save aggravation & energy I skipped the 60/91, leaving walmart I took Alesandro to victoria to adams, the drive is very scenic esp. victoria which a historic horse drawn trolley route dating back to early riverside history. I too wish Palm Springs MB dealer would oblige us with service, but the attitude I got when I went in, after pulling up in my SMART ED really put me off.. shame.
The local Mercedes dealer here doesn't deal with smarts either. I don't know why. Beverly Hills does....

It's strange that they won't look at an ED. It even shares the desiccant cartridge with the B-Class, and really not much maintenance wise/no oil change..... Maybe their star machine won't connect?....

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
When MB took over the smart brand from Penske, they had a choice and I believe they had to meet certain criteria to handle the smart brand. Not all MB dealers qualified or wanted to mess with them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
When MB took over the smart brand from Penske, they had a choice and I believe they had to meet certain criteria to handle the smart brand. Not all MB dealers qualified or wanted to mess with them.
Makes sense. I still remember they should strap the car down on the lifts through the doors! Still hoping to see that lift in person one day...

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Anza Electrical Cooperative just installed an electric charge station here for the electric cars, if you are ever headed west from Pines to Palms Highway from 74 to Highway 371. The charging station requires a credit card. The charging station is on the right hand side of Highway 371 directly across the street from Valley Auto. There are two electrical pedestals so that two EV's can charge at the same. The nearest electrical charging is in Temecula. I hope this will help.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for the info! maybe a road trip up there in the making, just wondering how much that steep grade up hwy 74 would eat up my charge, its just 50 miles distance wise and Im getting roughly 77 distance reading after a full charge. Re the chargers J1772 only or the CCS combo? Does anyone know of an adapter so we can use those CCS stations - they will step down for J1772 charging speeds but the large combo nozzle/connector just doesn't fit in our cars.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lino's in Palm Desert on Hovley Lane services Smart and Mercedes at a lower rate and much closer.
Warranty work only at Riverside or Temecula...etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Summer is coming! I believe when its 100+ out here I should just use my ICE car, to help not stress the batteries of my smart. but what about when its sitting in my garage- which can get equally toasty here in the desert? should I just leave it plugged in so the battery cooling can take place? and is the 220 evse OK for that light duty or should I use the 110 evse? I think with either one I can go into the car and set the charger to the 8kw low setting instead of max. We can get long stretches of 100+ weather, so it might sit in my garage for many days till the temps dip down to where I'll take it out.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Summer is coming! I believe when its 100+ out here I should just use my ICE car, to help not stress the batteries of my smart. but what about when its sitting in my garage- which can get equally toasty here in the desert? should I just leave it plugged in so the battery cooling can take place? and is the 220 evse OK for that light duty or should I use the 110 evse? I think with either one I can go into the car and set the charger to the 8kw low setting instead of max. We can get long stretches of 100+ weather, so it might sit in my garage for many days till the temps dip down to where I'll take it out.
Thanks
The car should perform well, I would be wary of leaving the car on the 110v charger in direct sunlight though because Palm Springs is insanely hot during Summer. When the vehicle is driven heavily, it will take longer to charge the car as it needs the battery to cool to certain thresholds prior to charging at maximum rate. Other than that the commercial grade chargers should be fine.

Driving the smart EV during Summer is recommended though because the air conditioning cools much more quickly than the gasoline smart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts