Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmm . . . . yea, I suppose one could swap panels for only the cost of shipping. But what to do while you wait for the FedEx truck to arrive? Can you drive a Smart nekkid? I mean, without the body panels?

tm

·
Registered
309 Posts
1) could ask the local dealer, as a courtesy, no charge, to keep an index box with owners and their colors, who may want to swap. (no shipping charges). ... after contact, swap in a mid point parking lot, or at ones home. hour or two, to switch.

2) set up a thread or section here, for people who want to switch, in same cities.

3) start a local web club, for switching panels, wheels, etc,.

4) local paper ad in your city.

smart could offer a collectors special edition panel color run, of maybe 1000 panels, every six months or so.

candy apple red, gun metal silver gray, champaign metallic, would be good se's.

like getting a unique special edition all new smart, every six months or so.

·
Registered
931 Posts
All that swapping will be tempered by the fact your car registration would need to be amended to show the new color.

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
I once read that some 450 owners originally registered based upon tridion color, with the panels being just "decoration." But, the 450s have a lot more of the tridion visible. Also, the 451 silver tridions are somewhat two-tone silver & black.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
You may have seen this thread discussing price for new panels:
http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1120

Seems to me it would be helpful to set up a place to post info on people wanting to swap panel colors; once they find a match the only cost involved would be shipping. Or is that too easy? :)
Hey!! That would be a great idea. Like haveing a library of body panels. Get bored with your car, you can swap out to a new color. Better yet, you can mix out panels so that none of them match.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
All that swapping will be tempered by the fact your car registration would need to be amended to show the new color.
No color listed on Maryland registrations. They go off of make,model,vin and plate number for id here, so no issue.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Here's a thought. Want to really turn some heads. Drive the car with no panels, just take them off. As best as I can figure there would be only the side lights and the license plate to deal with, unless you have the fog lights, maybe just unplug them for a while.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Here's a thought. Want to really turn some heads. Drive the car with no panels, just take them off. As best as I can figure there would be only the side lights and the license plate to deal with, unless you have the fog lights, maybe just unplug them for a while.
Oooh, or clear panels! Now that would be cool! Then admiring observers could see the Smart's blood flowing and heart beating as we cruise around :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey!! That would be a great idea. Like haveing a library of body panels. Get bored with your car, you can swap out to a new color. Better yet, you can mix out panels so that none of them match.
I was going to do the mix matched panel thing, like one of those Harlequin VW Golfs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts