Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, we all know about the crazing. Now has anyone seen this. Remember I have an 2008 so it has seen the majority of sun exposure. On the back part of my pano roof (the part that isn't clear) some of the glossy finish is chipping away. Right now there are two 0.5" wide by 6" strips that have become dull.

What is happening is the top gloss or light tint finish has come off, so its like the clearcoat on the roof is coming off.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Saw a car at the Indy meet in May that I think had the same condition - really bad surface on the front portion of the pano roof. :(

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I an trying to think of a way to put some type of coating on it so it doesn't spread...but I don't think that is the best solution.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Somebody mentioned trying a place that is familiar with polishing fiberglass boats - not sure why. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
I noticed the black vinyl roof on my Pure looks to be discolored from the windshield washer solvent (??) ith as a kind of purple hue to it in a wedged shape pattern. small at the front and wider at the rear. Doesn't come out with wax cleaner like the cloudiness on the rear top plastic.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I've not seen that on my 08 yet.

Remember, these cars are now 6 years old(hard to believe), and UV can do a number on plastics. My guess that as these cars get older, more of these issues will come to light. They can't stay new forever... As much as we would like them too.

I'm expecting to see more of this over the next couple of years with mine. Since I finished the restoration on my truck, the smart now sits outside all the time to keep my baby nice and cozy in the garage...:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there a class action suit for the defective pano roofs? Crazing, jamming sun shades and now this. Looks like Mercedes needs to replace these starting with the 2008's as a gesture of goodwill regardless of weather Penske or MB had sold them. As we all know these cars attract a lot of attention and I get asked by strangers about the car constantly. I feel like a salesman for the brand and want to speak with confidance that I have no regrets about owning one. Just gets kinda awkward when people ask whats wrong with my roof.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is there a class action suit for the defective pano roofs? Crazing, jamming sun shades and now this. Looks like Mercedes needs to replace these starting with the 2008's as a gesture of goodwill regardless of weather Penske or MB had sold them. As we all know these cars attract a lot of attention and I get asked by strangers about the car constantly. I feel like a salesman fir the brand and want to speak with confidance that I have no regrets about owning one. Just gets kinda awkward when people ask whats wrong with my roof.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
No roof/shade Class Action and smart is pretty much done with the good, the bad and the ugly of the 451 and moving on with the all-new 453. :banghead:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Yep, and with a model that is basically done, I promise they won't do anything about it...

I don't like my crazed roof, but it's not a major detractor to me. I live with it, and still enjoy the car. I hope smart learned their lesson on the 451 and use a much better material on the 453...

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is totally UV related. I am just waiting to see if and how quickly it might spread. That will determine what I do next.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Has anyone contacted Bayer Makrolon division about repair or clear coating of a crazed Makrolon pano roof to restore it to full clarity?
Here is their contact web address if anyone is interested:

https://www.plastics.bayer.com/en/Contact

Maybe if enough requests are made we might get an answer. Maybe include pictures if possible?

It looks like they only receive email from corporate email addresses. Company and email address must match, is my guess. Needless to say, I did not get through.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Has anyone contacted Bayer Makrolon division about repair or clear coating of a crazed Makrolon pano roof to restore it to full clarity?
Here is their contact web address if anyone is interested:

https://www.plastics.bayer.com/en/Contact

Maybe if enough requests are made we might get an answer. Maybe include pictures if possible?

It looks like they only receive email from corporate email addresses. Company and email address must match, is my guess. Needless to say, I did not get through.
They are well aware of the issue. In fact one of the members here works for them. Apparently according to him, Bayer informed smart that the roof wouldn't hold up, and they had a better(although more costly) alternative. Supposedly, smart didn't want to spend the $$$. Look up old posts by Carbonbrabus. He was at the Dragon the year I went and shed a lot of light on the panoramic roof...

Also, the crazing in in the middle of the panel, not on the outside where it can be buffed out. smart washed their hands of this mess early on. Unless you were lucky enough to have it happen in warranty, you're pretty much SOL!!!:|

Mind started about 2 years after I bought it, but because of the miles I drive( about 60K when it started), they (Penske) offered to cover labor if I bought the panel. That was still going to leave me out $700!!! Sorry, I wasn't going to spend that, just on principle alone... They picked the wrong material, why should I pay to put more wrong material on?:(

·
Registered
763 Posts
Perhaps it's time to revive the discussion about replacing pano with a true sun roof. The cars have been around long enough that there might be choices.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Is the roof tinting on the surface of the roof panel (i.e. top or bottom), or within the plastic material?

The reason I ask is because I have a few scratches in mine, where it appears the tint has been scratched off. The scratches are lighter or clearer than the rest of the roof. They are more visible from inside the vehicle looking up through the roof.

~toaster

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think we might have to bombard MB en mass to get their attention regarding this matter. As GM can tell you, you can't run from your obligations even if the cars are out of warranty. There is no way this is normal for any car, let alone one with origins from the 3 pointed star.
....and don't get me started on the roller shade.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I think we might have to bombard MB en mass to get their attention regarding this matter. As GM can tell you, you can't run from your obligations even if the cars are out of warranty.
GM ignition switch safety issue.

Random smart crazed panoramic roof/roller shade beyond warranty not a recall item.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts