Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Panorama roof like a sunroof or is it just a clear/tinted plastic roof? I really, really like sunroofs, but don't per se want to have a cabrio. I do know that there was a fabric sunroof offered in the 450 smart but that I have not seen it in the 451.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is the Panorama roof like a sunroof or is it just a clear/tinted plastic roof? I really, really like sunroofs, but don't per se want to have a cabrio. I do know that there was a fabric sunroof offered in the 450 smart but that I have not seen it in the 451.
Do you mean "does it slide open"? No, it doesn't. It does have some kind of fabric inside cover to block the sun. I'm pretty sure that at least in Canada, the 450 didn't have a slide-open sun roof.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Similar to other pano roofs ...

the top is transparent but tinted (not clear) and the fabric slide shade does do a good job blocking the sun when in place (experienced it first-hand at a Chicago drive event on a sunny day). Seem to recall Corvette's with the transparent plastic insert targa-top had a pop-in shade ... and the pano roof of the MB E-class has a shade as well for rear-seat passengers over where the roof doesn't re-track ... its' pretty effective for bringing the sun in but NOT the same as a regular sunroof. Still prefer this over a plain enclosed roof.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Sunroof

The 450 Passion coupe I have has a sliding sunroof, with the fabric screen inside. I don't think the 2008's will be coming with opening sunroofs.:confused::mad:.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Test drove a 450 grey market at dealer in Milwaukee John Paul's. It had a sliding sunroof that raised above the roof and slid back. No head room loss. Sweet. Are not available in the 450s.

·
Registered
181 Posts
better than a leaky fading fabric top

I'm with you canon, I too like sunroofs that open. I don't know why they didn't offer a sliding/opening sunroof option :mad:

I will be hawking the aftermarket arena for a possible retrofit :ugh:

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I'm with you canon, I too like sunroofs that open. I don't know why they didn't offer a sliding/opening sunroof option :mad:

I will be hawking the aftermarket arena for a possible retrofit :ugh:
Since the roof is plastic, just get out the skilsaw, cut a square hole, mount a piano hinge at the front, and glue weatherstrippiing around the edges. You can keep it propped open with your official Smart coffee mug.

Piano hinge: $3.99
Weatherstipping: $5.49
Causing other Smart owners to cringe: Priceless

·
Registered
570 Posts
Frankly I think that a even a nice pop up old school sunroof would have been nice, or maybe two little sunroofs, one for the passenger and the driver, like those on the Land Rover discovery in the back. I am sure they could have been made from the same material as the rest of the roof.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
"Its like riding in a big blue bubble" comment made be a Friend during his first ride. I like the canopy effect you get with the clear (yes tinted) roof.
karl

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
How about a roof hatch like on the city bus? One side up, both sides up, both sides down. And can be used for emergency egress in case of an accident.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No doubt by now you've had your question answered by inspecting a smart at close range. The panoramic roof is a darkened transparent roof which is easy to see out of and lets in plenty of light, but it's difficult for someone outside to see into it, not that it makes much difference as nosey folk can look thorugh the other windows.

The sliding screen is indeed fabric, and blocks out most of the light.

Thus far I've put 72.5 miles on my car, and I'm still getting used to the ato-manual transmission. I can't drive it with the stereo on very loud, as I need to hear the revs in order to change gear.

It's drawn lots of attention and comments, the usual ill-informed ones about safety and the classic statement 'it wouldn't be much use for a family'...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts