Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question isn't really specific to Smarts, but it seems that we have some pretty savvy drivers here, and it is a problem I have with my Smart more than any other car because I'm always trying to squeeze into very small parallel parking spaces (which is the entire reason I got the car).

So, when I'm doing that back in, pull up, backup, pull up thing that one does when getting into or out of a tight spot (no, I am not good enough of a parker to just back it in in one try), the ABS brakes will often kick in, causing much shudder and not allowing me to make those tiny little rolls forward and back. (Am I making sense here?) So, is there a way to -- not disable the ABS per se, but rather to regain control of the brakes from the ABS system in such a situation?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Do you feel the shudder through the brake pedal or the whole car?

If the former, it may be the ABS, although at the creeping speed of parking it should not activate. I would suspect it is more likely the clutch shuddering as you are trying to creep the car slowly.

Long distance diagnosis. Worth exactly what you paid for it.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. There's definitely loss of control of the brakes, so I'm pretty sure it is the ABS kicking in.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
It is the ABS kicking in. I'm still trying to figure out an engineering reason for this, beyond the typical ABS brakes calibrating. It happens frequently enough, makes it a challenge shifting cars all over the lot sometimes...

I usually just stop and hold the brakes down for a few seconds until it stops crunching around. Pump a couple times to make sure I'm in the clear, then park away.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is the ABS kicking in. I'm still trying to figure out an engineering reason for this, beyond the typical ABS brakes calibrating. It happens frequently enough, makes it a challenge shifting cars all over the lot sometimes...

I usually just stop and hold the brakes down for a few seconds until it stops crunching around. Pump a couple times to make sure I'm in the clear, then park away.
First -- THANK YOU for confirming that I'm not nuts, and that the ABS is more sensitive in the 453 than other cars.

Second -- if you ever come up with some "fix" for it, please PM me. I live in Center City Philly and parallel park all the time, and this is a significant issue for me and, even more so for my child who is just learning how to drive (and parallel park).

This -- I'll give that a try.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
First -- THANK YOU for confirming that I'm not nuts, and that the ABS is more sensitive in the 453 than other cars.

Second -- if you ever come up with some "fix" for it, please PM me. I live in Center City Philly and parallel park all the time, and this is a significant issue for me and, even more so for my child who is just learning how to drive (and parallel park).

This -- I'll give that a try.
In the meantime, the e-brake is your best friend especially on inclines. :nerd:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts