Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this article from the Albuquerque Tribune. The City of Albuquerque is looking at extending a program that currently allows hybrid cars to park for free at city meters to include other very fuel efficient vehicles, including the smart.

Could be a big plus for the smart concept if other cities adopted similar programs...

(the piece in question is the side-bar titled: "Green parks for free")

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/oct/13/city-workers-upset-over-training-sessions-included/

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
Found this article from the Albuquerque Tribune. The City of Albuquerque is looking at extending a program that currently allows hybrid cars to park for free at city meters to include other very fuel efficient vehicles, including the smart.

Could be a big plus for the smart concept if other cities adopted similar programs...

(the piece in question is the side-bar titled: "Green parks for free")

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/oct/13/city-workers-upset-over-training-sessions-included/
I'm wondering if it will be legal to park perpendicular to the curb in a parallel parking spot.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the perpendicular parking situation. I guess as long as the car is parked within the required inches from the curb... and on a hill, just be sure to turn those tires :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm wondering if it will be legal to park perpendicular to the curb in a parallel parking spot.
Most parking laws are local of course, but most jurisdictions require parking to be parallel to the roadside and within 18 inches of the side of the road. It was the first thing I thought would be fun to do, so I checked around.

·
Registered
522 Posts
smart parking

Most parking laws are local of course, but most jurisdictions require parking to be parallel to the roadside and within 18 inches of the side of the road. It was the first thing I thought would be fun to do, so I checked around.
Paul, I wonder if the lawmakers need "enlightment" ;) as to the virtues of smarts, so that they can change the law. Efficiency is parking nose in and two smarts in one spot. Certainly makes life more interesting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Before you park perpendicularly, I strongly suggest covering your butt first and contact the police department and find out if you can do it ahead of time, and then get it in writing. I know from reffing high school sports, and my last parking ticket*, that covering your butt in gray areas is the safest and most effective policy.

*For those who want to know, it involved parking in a handicapped space. I was taking my brother, who was in a wheelchair and had a valid hang-tag, to a soccer game. But it was raining and in our haste forgot to hang the tag. Fortunately, I was able to avoid the $400 fine by providing a letter from my brother, the phone number of his doctor, and the hang tag to the hearing. :)

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
My son informs me that many locations in Europe, Germany in particular, have become intolerant of smarts parking end-on. A nice but dying fad. Sharing a marked space in tandem with another smart, small car, or two-wheeler is a common practice and un-molested, including metered spaces (usually a case where one buys a time-stamped ticket at a kiosk and displays it behind the windshield).

With smarts growing to 8.8

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
At least it will now be easy to take the open spaces where someone has left a shopping cart.

My pet peeve: People who leave their shopping carts in the parking lot. :mad:

I agree and end up moving a cart or two out of spaces when I take my cart back. I laugh because these people pay $40-50 a month to go to a gym but can't walk their cart back to the store. Health experts say to take those extra steps every day and burn a couple more calories. Every little bit helps. :)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...I laugh because these people pay $40-50 a month to go to a gym but can't walk their cart back to the store....
I think these may be the same folks who circle the parking lot five or six times waiting for a close-in space to open up. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts