Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have had my smart only for a few days now and plan to install a double Din on Saturday.. I got the wire harness and face plate from 4smartcar.com and have alread wired up the harness to the Clarion double din touch panel multimedia (MAX385VD) but there is one wire that has to be connected to the parking brake wire in order for the audio to show up on the screen.. Does anyone know where this wire is and is there an easy access to it without taking up the carpet? One other question is there a way to by pass this so audio can be on when car is running? Please help..

Aloha, Tim

·
Registered
92 Posts
double din

You don't have to connect it to the brake wire. I connected mine to the stereo ground wire and put a switch inside the glove box, so if a cop pulls us over, when reaching in for the registration I just hit the switch.That way on long trips the wife can watch a movie.Radio shack sells a low profile toggle switch for like $3.99.and uses a 1/2 round hole to insert. Just drill and install no tricky cutting.:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't have to connect it to the brake wire. I connected mine to the stereo ground wire and put a switch inside the glove box, so if a cop pulls us over, when reaching in for the registration I just hit the switch.That way on long trips the wife can watch a movie.Radio shack sells a low profile toggle switch for like $3.99.and uses a 1/2 round hole to insert. Just drill and install no tricky cutting.:)

Thanks Speedracer,

I am off to radio shack!!!

Aloha, Tim

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That is a damn good idea. Double thanks for the info. I will do this when I insall mine on Sunday. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
double din

A little extra help here you might need. When I installed my deck I wanted it set back in(flush to dash). So I can take the old deck and remove the face of it off. To be able to put it over the double din for a safe gaurd while in a mall or other store for prying eyes(sits on the dash lip and infront of the new deck). Because I set the deck back (and the deck swings out to load the dvd's)I needed to file the opening on the face plate alittle more for clearance for the deck to swing out. This had me stumped when the deck would not work correctly I thought it was a bad deck and had to send it back.I called Panasonic had no help I figured it out when I removed it to send back.Glad I found the deck was rubbing just alittle to cause the error.(First install of a swinging out deck go figure).:bangwall: Don't get the switch confussed with the Nitrous Oxide switch (LOL)....see other posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Parking brake override

The suggestion Speedracer gave about placing a override switch in the gloved boxed was great. I did exactly as posted and the switch worked great.
Thanks for posting such great information.
Happy New Year 2010

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had this switch on my 07 camry and it cam in handy once. cop asked me to play a dvd while in drive mode. It saved my butt a ticket, and he let me off with a warning for going 8 over.

Getting my 4200 pioneer installed tomorrow gonna be sweet!!!

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Had this switch on my 07 camry and it cam in handy once. cop asked me to play a dvd while in drive mode. It saved my butt a ticket, and he let me off with a warning for going 8 over.

Getting my 4200 pioneer installed tomorrow gonna be sweet!!!
That is one idiot cop. That is like having beers in a cooler in the car. You're not drinking them, but you have the ability to do so, so you get a DUI. The list goes on, your car is able to go over the speed limit so they give you a ticket because you can.

I've got a DVD player in my car which is great for when I am constantly waiting around for the missus or at car shows. The switch is a great idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I have had my smart only for a few days now and plan to install a double Din on Saturday.. I got the wire harness and face plate from 4smartcar.com and have alread wired up the harness to the Clarion double din touch panel multimedia (MAX385VD) but there is one wire that has to be connected to the parking brake wire in order for the audio to show up on the screen.. Does anyone know where this wire is and is there an easy access to it without taking up the carpet? One other question is there a way to by pass this so audio can be on when car is running? Please help..

Aloha, Tim
parking brake switch or ground

D

·
0 Posts
Hi, so how exactly is this done? I run the parking break wire from the stereo to the switch and then from the switch to the ground wire? And so if the switch is flicked on it's grounded and will work and if it's switched off it's not grounded and will not work? So the parking brake will be irrelevant correct? If it's in park and the switch is off it still will act like it's in drive?

D

·
0 Posts
Okay I have my switch and my wires all cut to length and I'm ready to do some soldering but I'm not sure what goes where? This is the switch I bought, I think it's the popular one used for this modification.

It has four prongs on the back labeled 1a, 2a, 1b, 2b and has two empty slots marked 3a, 3b

When the switch is clicked up it looks like it will be using 1a and 1b. When it's flipped down it looks like it's just off because that's where 3a and 3b are. 2a and 2b look like they are constant? Is this correct? So it's a single action on/off switch.

If this is correct I would like to wire it so when it's on it bypasses the parking brake and when it's off it operates as it should with the parking brake. So I figure 2a should be the wire from the back of the stereo, 2b should be the parking brake, and 1a should be the stereo ground wire? I already found out where the parking brake wire is, just getting to it will be a hassle. I'm hoping I can get to it without removing the seats and carpet completely.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
What kind of system are you installing? There may be a hardware or software bypass method available. My Pioneer system has one of each method available. If you have a Pioneer, check out AVIC411.com. Maybe you can get some info there.

D

·
0 Posts
I have a Power Acoustik. It's supposed to bypass simply by grounding it. I also want to be able to go back to the legal function. I don't think I'll actually use the bypass very often but I like the idea of the stereo having full function capabilities at all times.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Okay I have my switch and my wires all cut to length and I'm ready to do some soldering but I'm not sure what goes where? This is the switch I bought, I think it's the popular one used for this modification.

It has four prongs on the back labeled 1a, 2a, 1b, 2b and has two empty slots marked 3a, 3b

When the switch is clicked up it looks like it will be using 1a and 1b. When it's flipped down it looks like it's just off because that's where 3a and 3b are. 2a and 2b look like they are constant? Is this correct? So it's a single action on/off switch.

If this is correct I would like to wire it so when it's on it bypasses the parking brake and when it's off it operates as it should with the parking brake. So I figure 2a should be the wire from the back of the stereo, 2b should be the parking brake, and 1a should be the stereo ground wire? I already found out where the parking brake wire is, just getting to it will be a hassle. I'm hoping I can get to it without removing the seats and carpet completely.
What you have there is a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch. In order to do what you want you'll need a Single pole double throw (SPDT) .
The "parking brake" wire from the radio would go on the center terminal of the switch and the wire coming up from the parking brake would go on either of the other terminals and then lastly a ground wire on the third terminal. This will give you your either or switching you want:D

D

·
0 Posts
What you have there is a Double Pole Single Throw (DPST) switch. In order to do what you want you'll need a Single pole double throw (SPDT) .
The "parking brake" wire from the radio would go on the center terminal of the switch and the wire coming up from the parking brake would go on either of the other terminals and then lastly a ground wire on the third terminal. This will give you your either or switching you want:D
Thanks. So I think I found one that will fit the hole I already drilled and pretty much look the same. This right here is what I need? And then wire the stereo in the middle, the brake on one end, and the ground on the other end?
http://www.amazon.com/Automotive-Round-Rocker-Switch-Center/dp/B001TQMU5C

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Yeah , that's where you want to be. Don't get the switch with any LED or lights in it as that's going to cause other wiring issues. As far as the way you are wiring the switch , that's absolutely correct. Now which position is the brake, vs the ground is just a matter of trial and error......otherwords you have a 50/50 chance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
double din

1 - 19 of 19 Posts