Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the parking attendant told me today that everytime he see's me pull in the garage, he gets so happy to see my car. I don't park it to often at this location and I did notice how he smiles when I come in.

Another thing I'm noticing is people tend to want to help me out with finding a parking spot. It's like they know the perfect spot for the car to fit and they have to let me know. This has happened several times when i'm in a garage or just an event with a full lot.

Just thought I'd share some of my experiences.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I always park with extra room in front, it helps others know that a car is parked in the spot and they don't try to pull in before they realize a car is already in the spot.

I have had parking attendents park me in a spot right up front so they have some extra room to get people in and out or for a pedestrian lane.

·
Registered
337 Posts
ALWAYS back at the rear of the spot. Coming from a motorcycle life, take my word for it and ALWAYS park at the rear of the parking spot. If you pull all the way forward, I can pretty much guarantee that sooner or later, you *will* get smashed in the tailgate by someone thinking the spot is open, and whipping in at full speed... only to realize too late that the spot is NOT empty... only half-full.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
My absolute favorite parking spaces in San Francisco are either first in line at a corner, or at the bit of curb between most garage doors at the old apartment buildings. It's just right, with room front and back for people to enter and exit their garage. Any other car sticks out into the driveway and merits "stink eye". :D

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Recently I found the "perfect" parking space, just long enough to be 1.5' from the car ahead and just at the post marking the end of the parking zone. But I got a ticket for "Within 3 feet of the car in front". This was downtown Washington, DC, where almost no one leaves 3 feet in front and behind... where the shortness of the smart shows its advantage!
2405.2 No person shall stand or park a vehicle, whether occupied or not, in any of the following places (including for the purpose of loading or unloading materials), except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic, or at the direction of a police officer, traffic control sign, or signal; Provided, that a vehicle may stop momentarily to pick up or discharge a passenger or passengers:
(a) ...
(i) Within three feet (3 ft.) of the front or rear of another vehicle or vehicles parked at or parallel to the curb, except where dual parking meters are installed and curb parking spaces marked to ensure maneuvering space between “dual parked” vehicles;
BTW: the ticket was $5. (Cheaper than the parkmeter...) :wink:

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Recently I found the "perfect" parking space, just long enough to be 1.5' from the car ahead and just at the post marking the end of the parking zone. But I got a ticket for "Within 3 feet of the car in front". This was downtown Washington, DC, where almost no one leaves 3 feet in front and behind... where the shortness of the smart shows its advantage!

They were probably just waiting for a smart car to take that bait since only a smart would fit in that space. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts

WOW. If they gave a ticket for that out here, they'd spend all their time doing it! Sheeesh.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I pulled into a city parking garage in downtown Charleston and was about to take a ticket but the gate opened magically before I could push the button.

Looking around for some kind of trap, I found the ticket taker in her booth waving at me to roll down my passenger window.

"That's cute!", she says smiling. "Just park it right behind my booth."

I pulled in behind her booth, sideways, got out, locked up and thanked her. I still don't believe in miracles, but this was real close!

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
I'm afraid I never take advantage of one of the smart's biggest pluses. Keep in mind that I don't live in nor commute to a crowded big city environ (and avoid them whenever possible). But, even a stop at the local department store sees me park at the far end of the lot. I'm with KRA in this regard. I'd rather walk a hundred yards or two. Lord knows the exercise won't hurt me ... and I usually beat the "gotta park as close as possible" folks to the door while they're searching for their perfect spot.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i still park in large spots, just to show off how small my Gizmo is. and, i do park at the end of the spot so that no one will think the spot is empty. i've driven lots of compact cars, and i hate the ones that pull all the way forward, so i already had that in mind when i bought the smart.

this was my best parking job so far. not the best picture, but the rear end of the truck to the left is a PARKED truck, and my husband's Fit is on the right side of the picture. i made the truck driver mad, but hey.. not my fault i needed to park and he took up 3 spots with his overly compensating vehicle :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312353_1756656854636_1785445616_1153017_1589933705_n.jpg

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
i still park in large spots, just to show off how small my Gizmo is. and, i do park at the end of the spot so that no one will think the spot is empty. i've driven lots of compact cars, and i hate the ones that pull all the way forward, so i already had that in mind when i bought the smart.

this was my best parking job so far. not the best picture, but the rear end of the truck to the left is a PARKED truck, and my husband's Fit is on the right side of the picture. i made the truck driver mad, but hey.. not my fault i needed to park and he took up 3 spots with his overly compensating vehicle :D

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/312353_1756656854636_1785445616_1153017_1589933705_n.jpg
Looks like you need a need a new headlight bulb kitty :wow:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I always park with extra room in front, it helps others know that a car is parked in the spot and they don't try to pull in before they realize a car is already in the spot.
ALWAYS back at the rear of the spot. Coming from a motorcycle life, take my word for it and ALWAYS park at the rear of the parking spot. If you pull all the way forward, I can pretty much guarantee that sooner or later, you *will* get smashed in the tailgate by someone thinking the spot is open, and whipping in at full speed... only to realize too late that the spot is NOT empty... only half-full.
Yes and yes. (also a motorcycle rider too)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks like this thread has been idle for a while.

So I commute to a DC metro station with a parking garage. It has 5 levels, but fills up quickly. It’s so bad that people park on either side of the access lanes, even though they are clearly marked NO PARKING. I have passed this spot many a time in the past, usually finding something lower down, but today, nothing. So I figured I would risk it. It isn’t marked NO PARKING, and there were no safety barrels blocking it. Damned if the Smart didn’t fit like, well, a Smart.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts