Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you know of a law or rule that gives us instructions about how to go about charging our electric car on public parking that has chargers.

1-) What to do if an ICE car is parked on a public parking with a dedicated electric car charger and you really need to charge your car because you have 15% of charge left?

I have seen many ICE cars parked on the parking spots that have the BLink chargers.

2-) If an electric car is already finished charging and it is unattended, can one unplug it and plug yours and leave a note?

3-) Would it be better to go on the "first come first served basis" or by the need of charging of the car? For instance I have 60% charge but the car that came after me has 15% left of charge. Should the car with less charge take priority?

4-) Would it be nice if you can have the first 1 or 2 hrs. of charging half a price so you can charge your car enough to get you home to continue charging and if you charge more than the minimum you should pay regular charging price?

What is your opinion on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
646 Posts
This is an emerging etiquette, so I don't think there are any hard rules, just common courtesy. I don't have a problem at all if someone unplugs my car if it is finished charging. In fact, with Chargepoint that saves me money, since they charge by how long you are connected to their charger, whether or not it is charging.

Gas cars should NEVER be parked in front of an EV chareging station. However, in San Diego there are a couple of EV spots in malls that also display the Handicapped sign. I would assume those are for handicapped people with electric cars, but if a person parked there who had a gas car but handicapped plates, I wouldn't want to get in a pissing match with them.

·
17,380 Posts
Here in IL, parking spaces with chargers are usually marked with signage saying "Electric Vehicles ONLY". :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
2-) If an electric car is already finished charging and it is unattended, can one unplug it and plug yours and leave a note?
The hard part is telling how charged a car is. How would you tell that with a smart? The Gen II and others like Tesla have a lit indicator in the plug area that tells you when it's done. The current gen smart ED doesn't. If you can tell it's done, then sure. If not, probably best not to play with it.

This is part of why many commercial EVSE are moving to multi-corded single-head units. They can monitor/charge each cord separately without the need to duplicate the display and interface components. The head can then change it's advertised rate per cord as well to match demand vs supply, and perhaps give higher current to cars with less charge or that can handle it. (For example, an intelligent head may know that smarts with IDs in the Gen 3 range can only pull 3.3Kw, and limit that cords charge accordingly, to give more supply to a Leaf or Tesla with a larger charger capacity.)

Right now though, there are no laws in most places. Often leaving a note to an ICE parked in a charging spot is enough to help prevent it in the future. If not, and it's a regular abuser, alert the property owner. They have the right to block or tow non-compliant cars in most cases, but generally won't do so unless someone complains and/or it's a regular problem issue.

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Chevrolet suggests EV Etiquette . . .

For many Spark EV owners, getting plugged-in to an all-electric, no-gas-required lifestyle will be a new experience.

Here are a few tips to ease the transition:

• Recharge daily – And do it quicker with the soon-to-be-available SAE combo charger for DC fast charging. It can recharge the 21-kWh lithium-ion battery pack to 80-percent capacity in 20 minutes.
  • Extend range – Maximize the mini-car’s EPA-estimated 82 miles (130 km) of driving range by recharging in public charging stations, or use Spark EV’s standard 120V cord in any outlet.
  • Don’t be a juice hog – Public charging stations are in high demand. After charging, move on so that other EV owners can recharge. Or if parking conditions allow, place a note on your dashboard saying it’s okay to unplug your car if the Green Light indicating a full charge is flashing.
  • Know the distance – The available BringGo smartphone app can help Spark EV owners know how far they can go without recharging by providing full-function, in-dash navigation via Chevrolet MyLink as well as live traffic updates, for less than $60.
  • Go with the flow – Many EV owners like to maximize range by driving at or below the speed limit. No problem, just steer clear of the fast lane so other Spark EV drivers can enjoy their instant torque.
  • Be loud – The Pedestrian Safety Signal projects a light chirp and calls attention to Spark EV’s presence. Pulling the turn signal lever back while in Drive will give a friendly honk. The alert can be set to activate automatically in Drive and Reverse at speeds below 18 mph (28 km/h).
  • Enjoy the savings – Spark EV can save its owners approximately $9,000 in fuel over five years compared to the average new vehicle – that’s $150 per month that can be spent on something else.
  • Be an EV advocate – Expect to get lots of questions about Spark EV. Take these opportunities to spread the advantages of going gas free.

https://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Sep/0918-sparkev-driving101.html

·
Registered
646 Posts
The charger itself will tell you if the car is "Charging" or "Charging Complete"
Just look at the readout on the charger.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The hard part is telling how charged a car is. How would you tell that with a smart? The Gen II and others like Tesla have a lit indicator in the plug area that tells you when it's done. The current gen smart ED doesn't. If you can tell it's done, then sure. If not, probably best not to play with it.
Yes, you can tell. The car will tell you. Just by unplugging the car and plugging it back. The car will tell even how many hrs. left before it gets to 100% charge.
Just unplugging other people's car because you want to charge yours I guess is not fair; but if the car is already fully charged I think it is just fair to unplug it. I'll be OK with someone else unplugging my car after is charged.

This is part of why many commercial EVSE are moving to multi-corded single-head units. They can monitor/charge each cord separately without the need to duplicate the display and interface components. The head can then change it's advertised rate per cord as well to match demand vs supply, and perhaps give higher current to cars with less charge or that can handle it. (For example, an intelligent head may know that smarts with IDs in the Gen 3 range can only pull 3.3Kw, and limit that cords charge accordingly, to give more supply to a Leaf or Tesla with a larger charger capacity.)

Right now though, there are no laws in most places. Often leaving a note to an ICE parked in a charging spot is enough to help prevent it in the future. If not, and it's a regular abuser, alert the property owner. They have the right to block or tow non-compliant cars in most cases, but generally won't do so unless someone complains and/or it's a regular problem issue.
Last time I went to a Carl's Junior where they have Blink chargers; all parking spaces with chargers were taken by ICE cars and there were many regular parking spots available. What could be done about this? Call Blink, call the police, etc. ? Who to complain to?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is an emerging etiquette, so I don't think there are any hard rules, just common courtesy. I don't have a problem at all if someone unplugs my car if it is finished charging. In fact, with Chargepoint that saves me money, since they charge by how long you are connected to their charger, whether or not it is charging.
This is a good approach, this way, we all will think about other people charging needs. When I used to put gas, I'll move or leave as soon as I finish pumping gas for the other people to pump their gas.

Have you seen those people that take their time to go inside the gas station shop, have a snack, talking on the phone, going to the restroom, etc. while they leave their car parked in the pump spot while other people wait for them to leave?:(
Gas cars should NEVER be parked in front of an EV chareging station. However, in San Diego there are a couple of EV spots in malls that also display the Handicapped sign. I would assume those are for handicapped people with electric cars, but if a person parked there who had a gas car but handicapped plates, I wouldn't want to get in a pissing match with them.
I think that ICE cars owners should get a ticket like parking in a handicap parking spot. It's very inconsiderate to park in a charging station.:(

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
Last time I went to a Carl's Junior where they have Blink chargers; all parking spaces with chargers were taken by ICE cars and there were many regular parking spots available. What could be done about this? Call Blink, call the police, etc. ? Who to complain to?
Probably Carl's employees?

One rainy night while on a road trip ALL the spaces were taken in front of a fast food joint while the rest of the lot was empty. No customers inside, just employees?

Walked back outside and took a picture of the parking situation, bought my food. Called the toll free number on the receipt and shared my observation - phone rang in the "rental food" emporium and suddenly the employees found a need to move their cars . . .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Probably Carl's employees?

One rainy night while on a road trip ALL the spaces were taken in front of a fast food joint while the rest of the lot was empty. No customers inside, just employees?

Walked back outside and took a picture of the parking situation, bought my food. Called the toll free number on the receipt and shared my observation - phone rang in the "rental food" emporium and suddenly the employees found a need to move their cars . . .
Good observation. Sometimes a call to the appropriate people in charge solves a situation like this one.:wink:

·
Registered
946 Posts
In Houston TX...

...the only place that we frequent that has charger spaces is the Whole Food chain. I think that they have properly placed their spaces to avoid the ICE car in the charger spots - the charging spaces are located at the extreme end of the parking lot.

Since most people value a shorter walk more than occupying a specialized space, the charger spaces remain empty all of the time. Although I occasionally see an electric vehicle on the street here, I have yet to see any vehicle (electric or otherwise) in the charger spots.

(We have Carl's Jr. "stores" here, but I've managed to avoid them thus far. From the street, they don't seem to have any charging facilities.

We have handicapped plates, and are frequent users of handicapped parking spaces. (My ability to walk and stand up has become somewhat limited over the past three years.) I have never seen a combination handicapped/EV charging station space in some four years of heavy use of handicapped spots.

One place where I have yet to see a charging station for an EV is at Disney World. They try to stay on top of such developments, so the absence was pretty odd.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here in IL, parking spaces with chargers are usually marked with signage saying "Electric Vehicles ONLY". :)
It is this way here as well. I assume that it is that way most places but society is full of IDIOTS.

I say for #1 we just leave a little note on their hood or door that says READ THE SIGN DUMBASS!!!. Written in key of course :D

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sadly, here around Boston, the signs tend to say "Electric Vehicle parking PREFERRED"

What the heck does that mean? Seems to me it says there is no enforceable ban on ICEs, in other words "Gas guzzlers welcome!"

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Yes, you can tell. The car will tell you. Just by unplugging the car and plugging it back.
Bad idea. On some charge stations (ChargePoint in particular) once you un-plug, you have to re-validate when plugged back in. Unplug someone to see how charged they are, and you may as well plug your car in...

Also, that assumes that the person unplugging and replugging a smart car in knows that it shows up on the inside display, and that the windows aren't tinted.

The charger itself will tell you if the car is "Charging" or "Charging Complete"
Just look at the readout on the charger.
Most do, but not all. Some simply have a light to indicate state, often without any verbiage about what colors or patterns mean what. If you're not familiar with it, it may not be easy to tell what it's doing.

I suppose that will depend on your employer.
If it was me, I wouldn't give out free electrons...
Some employers give out free soda. Some have a jar next to the coffee maker and ask for nickles or dimes per cup. (Some have more loyal workers...) All depends on your location, employer, etc. An extra few bucks a month in electric for most employers is well worth the cost of happy employees.

·
17,380 Posts
It is this way here as well. I assume that it is that way most places but society is full of IDIOTS.

I say for #1 we just leave a little note on their hood or door that says READ THE SIGN DUMBASS!!!. Written in key of course :D
At the local mall, I always see non-plug-in hybrids parking in EV spots. Come on, who are you fooling, I can see the exhaust coming out the back of that Prius!

Off topic: Light green? Really???? Since black is not an option, I think I'll go red...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe Smart think we're more paranoid in the UK - all the charging points I've used lock the cable at both ends when the car is locked to avoid theft of the cable or coming back to a still uncharged car, is it different in the US?

One of my local supermarkets has 2 EV charging spaces and 2 EV + Disabled, I'm the only person to use any of them in the year they've been installed, no problem with ICE users as they are at the unpopular end of the car park. Another supermarket also has 4 EV spaces almost as far from the entrance as possible, 3 have ICE cars in most of the time, I got the 4th one last year and I was chatting to the Leaf driver that turned up later who parked across the ICE cars and blocked them in. He guessed they were employees and left his mobile number at the customer service desk. Sounded like a reasonable compromise to me...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Maybe Smart think we're more paranoid in the UK - all the charging points I've used lock the cable at both ends when the car is locked to avoid theft of the cable or coming back to a still uncharged car, is it different in the US?

Yes. The US smart model doesn't even have a lock pin in the smart plug on the car. There is no way to prevent removal with the US model. Currently the only US based EV I've seen with a lock pin has been the Tesla. (It was on the converter, which also locks into the Tesla when charging.)

No problem with ICE users as they are at the unpopular end of the car park.
One would think placing the chargers at undesirable spots would be a good solution. Part of the price you "pay" for charging is having a longer walk. I'll tell you right now that would work quite well in the US. The problem being that all "special" spots tend to get jammed together out of habit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts