Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. On my 2016 prime my taillights went out. My brake lights work, but not my taillights. I went to check my bulbs and found out my car has partial led’s. I don’t understand why brake lights work and taillights don’t not like standard bulb with two filaments. Any suggestions appreciated. I have an appointment with Mercedes Benz dealer next Thursday. Using rear fog lamps as taillights for now. Would like it to be an ez fix I can do myself e.g. fuse. Holler. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This happened after I changed my headlight bulbs to cool white halogen bulbs. Don’t think there is any connection but what do I know?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to Mercedes Benz of coconut creek (Florida) to get the taillights fixed and have the car looked over. They said they fixed the lights Before I left I checked and they were not working Service rep swore up and down that they would only come on at night. Switch in auto or on position didn’t matter. :oops:After 10min of back and forth I told him he was wrong but I would wait until nightfall 10 pm no taillights. The a/c needs a pressure sensor and they won’t have until Tuesday so I gotta go back anyway. Back to lights I noticed that when I turn the headlight switch to on (in the dark) headlights come on (without starting car) if I turn it to auto the headlights don’t come on. ( I have to start the car). I don’t think that is normal. Not sure if it has always been like that but don’t think so. Not sure I smoke a little bit of the marijuana. Pleeeease any input? Service rep not very bright.😡

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Well.... if you have the headlight switch in Auto, the lights won't come on unless a) the ignition is on, and b) the light sensor tells them to. That's normal on every car i'm aware of.

It'd be the same thing with the tail lights. If it's dark enough for the headlights to come on when the switch is in Auto, or if you turn the headlights on (not sure about if you have it just so the daytime running lights are on...), the tail lights should turn on.

·
Super Moderator
17,547 Posts
It sounds like your 453 has the lighting package. 453s with this package have LED brake lights and taillights. These LEDs cannot be replaced like bulbs.

The taillights illuminate when your light stalk is set to Parking or On no matter if the car is running or not. The headlights also operate in this manner, so your observations are normal. :) The lights will only come on in Auto when the car is on and it's dark enough.

Check your fuses

If they all check out, there's probably something wrong (maybe in the stalk?) preventing the taillights from coming on. It's unlikely that every LED on both sides would burn out. Do the parking lights work? If they don't work either then I'd definitely be looking at some sort of electrical malady or similar going on.

Reactions: gtdump

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Turns out I screwed up wiring rear view camera. $475 repair. 💩 Still gonna smoke weed so keep those comments to yourselves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts