Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found that I could get a number of parts for my smart at the local Mercedes dealership, and for reasonable prices... often less than I hear the smart dealerships charged. While they did not have the ability to look up parts, they were able to order the parts when I provided a part number... often obtained from these forums. :wink:

Well it seems that this has now changed. My visit to the (non-smart franchised) Mercedes dealer last week resulted in the smart-specific parts not showing up in their system. :(

The parts guy was not even able to bring up a part that he had successfully ordered for me in the past. He tells me it is the same system error he used to see when he would attempt to order a Sprinter part, before they had the Sprinter franchise.

Since my closest smart dealership is 100-miles away, I guess I'm going to have to go the eBay/Amazon/mail-order route now.

Has anyone else discovered this blocking of smart parts ordering from non-smart dealerships?

~toaster

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Has anyone else discovered this blocking of smart parts ordering from non-smart dealerships?
You can look up your own part numbers. Go to EPC-net Online and select Subscribe on the left side. Agree to the disclaimer and on the next page you can subscribe to Mercedes parts for no charge. Smart parts are with non-US and truck parts for $12.00 per year.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You should be able to order over the phone from that dealer and have them shipped to you, no?
Probably, but these were mostly small items where the S&H costs would exceed the parts cost. Plus the Mercedes dealer was able to obtain them very quickly, typically in 2-days!

Additionally, they only had the Mercedes mark-up which seems to be substantially less than the smart mark-up... probably due to there being more Mercedes dealerships than smart dealerships.

~toaster

·
Registered
55 Posts
So you gave the MB dealer the part number(s) and they ordered the part for you cheaper than the smart dealer would. I wonder if a smart dealer would give you the part numbers to save $12.00 subscription fee.

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
I don't own a Smart (yet), but I was curious about this thread since I use the EPC often for my other Mercedes. When I logged on to my account and selected "car," one of my options was the Smart. When I selected it, I was taken to all the Smart car pages and could navigate through the Smart car parts just like I could with my other Mercedes parts. I am using the free EPC for US addresses, so it appears that it is free to find Smart car parts there too.

However, when I selected a Smart specific part and plugged it into the Mercedes parts database, it came up as "no part found." But when I selected a part that was not Smart specific like a bolt that was used in other Mercedes vehicles, it did pop up in the system as expected. So it looks like you certainly should be able to obtain part number in the EPC and then you may be on your own to locate them. I'm not sure if there are many parts purveyors who carry Smart car parts yet. I know my primary parts site does not list Smart parts yet, but a Google search does bring up several Smart parts online sellers.

Len

·
Super Moderator
28,250 Posts
As Rusted Wrench pointed out, there is a separate EPC Online for US smart owners - not free as it should be, but for a mere $12 a year you can search for smart specific parts as much as you want. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,253 Posts
As Rusted Wrench pointed out, there is a separate EPC Online for US smart owners - not free as it should be, but for a mere $12 a year you can search for smart specific parts as much as you want. :)
But see my post right above yours - I am getting all of the parts picture blow ups and part numbers for the Smart just like I do with my other Mercedes and I'm using the free EPC.

Len

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
You should be able to order over the phone from that dealer and have them shipped to you, no?

I ordered over the phone. Paid by credit card. Got a parts in, card in the mail. Had to pick the part up from the dealership. I guess you could ask the dealer to ship the part to you, for extra postage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well after entering my information including credit card I subscribed for the free EPC online account. Then had to install java 5.0 developer update 15. and then figure out how to find stuff. Finally entered my vin number and started viewing parts and exploded diagrams - have very nice free resource bookmarked now.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you gave the MB dealer the part number(s) and they ordered the part for you cheaper than the smart dealer would. I wonder if a smart dealer would give you the part numbers to save $12.00 subscription fee.
Yep. The part numbers were ones I generally found on this forum. I went to my local MB dealership and they were able to order the part for me. The only info that their system was able to display for the pn was the name and pricing.

For example, the fog light trim pieces were $14 ea at MB, vs $25 ea at smart. I had them in 2-days!

Alas this 'service' has now ended, as my local MB dealer can no longer access these parts. Yours may or may not... give em a try!

~toaster

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well after entering my information including credit card I subscribed for the free EPC online account. Then had to install java 5.0 developer update 15. and then figure out how to find stuff. Finally entered my vin number and started viewing parts and exploded diagrams - have very nice free resource bookmarked now.
Why did you need to enter your CC info if the account is free?? :confused:

~toaster

·
Registered
209 Posts
Regarding the EPCnet Online signup-

The visibility of the password you selected for the account (and your hint question/answer) on the "Thank You - Subscription is Complete" page and on your welcoming email is in violation of all contemporary security standards.

Very surprised at MB - makes you wonder how they protect other data.

-Barry-

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just went in to renew my "free" subscription to EPC net. Now MB wants $75 a year for this service!!!

They can kiss my butt.. No way I'm paying that....:mad:

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Yep, they started that on Jan. 1 I believe. Pisses me off too even though I'm subscribed through 2021 or so. Be glad to try to help with my subscription if you need something.

Len
2014 EV
Actually you could.

I need the part numbers for the intake manifold gasket/O-rings(manifold to head) and throttle body gasket/o-ring( TB to intake manifold). Starting to think my Dad's smart running issue may be a vacuum leak...

Thanks in advance.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts