Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll bet this problem will sound familiar to many...

Now that I have a 451, I'm wanting to make a few mods.

Sounds simple, right? Hardly!

For example, my 451 has silver grille trim, but I want black to match the Tridion. So, I asked the parts department at four different dealerships for the price of the trim, in black.

"We need a VIN."

"Can't you just look up the part, and order it?"

"No. We need a VIN."

Then I asked about yellow 'BoConcept' mirror caps.

"What's the VIN?."

I explained that all of the parts I wanted were for different production years/colors than my VIN would show them.

Ok, next – floor mat hold-down hooks.

"Got a VIN?"

And so it went. In total, I had a list of nearly a dozen items on my wish list of goodies; smart always promotes that these cars are meant to be customized. Ha! Just try.

I became really frustrated, and didn't end up spending a single penny of the several hundred dollars that I'd been eager to throw at them. At subsequent dealerships that I then called, the story was the same – "What's the VIN?"

Is there an easier way?? I also need to be sure that any replacement parts will fit my year and model.

These guys act like they couldn't care less about selling me anything at all. In some cases, I had to call multiple times to get anybody to pick up the phone. When I left voicemails, they all went unreturned.

Very annoying.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks. I found a part number for the grille trim, in black. That's a start!

Mirror covers seem to be listed only in black and silver. Not even kinetic green, hmmmm.

The only year with ED parts listings is 2016. I'll give a call.

Their site doesn't list a location or time zone anywhere?!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Thanks. I found a part number for the grille trim, in black. That's a start!

Mirror covers seem to be listed only in black and silver. Not even kinetic green, hmmmm.
Surprised that hadn't heard the "what's the VIN" smart mantra before?

Go on fleaBay or similar vehicle selling tool and "borrow" a Kinetic VIN...

·
Registered
292 Posts
VIN might not matter

Steven,

I just went through a similar, but less frustrating, experience with some parts. I started looking for some touch up paint because our cell is an uncommon colour. "VIN?". Which certainly helped to make sure they had the right paint in the quote.

However, because I had the part number for the *cabrio* roof switch (we have a coupe) I was able to get a price and availability even though it doesn't match our car.

So you may be able to give them the VIN and then the part number even though it is for another model.

Can I ask you to share the part number for the black grille trim?

A black smile is something I've been considering too. Although in my case I ordered a small 20x50" ($4) roll of 3M "carbon fiber" vinyl. I was planning to try it on our silver trim both to make it black and to help protect from more road rash. Hard to argue at the price.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Just use this site,find the part numbers of what you need and arm yourself with the number while visiting the local smart center. It's worked for me since IO have gotten a bunch of exterior items from later 451 years to put on my '09. (color matched valances and mirror caps etc)
https://www.mbpartsexpress.com/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Steven, Having spent the better part of my 42 year career in Dealershjp Parts and Service Management, I can give you a little insight as to why they continually ask for the Vin number to look up parts.The biggest problem faced in the parts business over the years was getting the WRONG part for a customer whether it be retail or a shop or it's own service dept. Manufacturers spent years working with computer companies to eliminate the possibility of looking up the wrong part for any specific vehicle, Thus they began, a long time ago, to use the Vin number to identify EXACTLY what parts were used in the production of a particular unit, since every year and model has so many choices of interior colors, fabrics, options etc.and was a parts person's nightmare to wade through all the possibilities to get the correct part, and more often then not, they got it wrong. This eliminated almost all the chances of a wrong part and a pissed off customer. I'm guessing that it has become very difficult - not impossible these days to look up a part without having the Vin number. That said, They could still be a little more understanding and do a better job of trying to help someone trying to upgrade their pride and joy, as I did when I was in the business.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Found the black grille surround: A 451-888-00-51-C22A
Just guessing, but they want your VIN to get you the right part as noted above. The other issue is that some parts like the grill and the mirror come in various colors. So for example the part number for the grill is A 451 888 00 51, but then the EPC has a note for the color code. I haven't looked it up in the EPC myself, but my guess is that the C22A is the code for the black grill.

Len
2014 EV

·
Registered
112 Posts
My dealer asks for the last 8 of my vin # each time, so I always have that info with me in my phone when I call. The Mercedes dealer (different than my Mercedes/Smart dealer) even keeps my vin# in their system, because at one point I was ordering parts regularly. ( currently have 4 Mercedes vehicles)

Is it really a big deal with giving someone a number that takes 2 seconds? Although you have the right to feel how you feel and I also undertstand that you mentioned mix matching items that may not show under your vin # they are doing it for your benefit, not to be jerks.

Asking for the vin# for the car helps to ensure that what you get fits, something that you also mentioned in your post was important to you. "I also need to be sure that any replacement parts will fit my year and model."

I can't help but wonder if they didn't ask for a vin# and you ordered several hundred dollars worth of parts and most, if not all didn't fit would you be here stating the stupid dealer ordered my parts incorrectly?

We all get impatient, or bothered but something, or a process. I know I do, but I happen to like the steps my dealer takes in trying to make sure the part I may have to wait to come from Germany, or Cali, or whatever fits my needs when they arrive. I would hate to wait 5 to 10 days to get a part only to find out it is wrong, then have to return it and wait for the next order to arrive. I would be online fussing about that for sure.

Go with the flow and just order a bunch of cool stuff for the Smart. I hope eventually you find all the parts you need, anyway you can get them.

FYI- parts stores on eBay have also asked for my vin# to confirm an order before a purchase. Not all, but half of them do.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
As has been stated, this has been a common practice for years. The parts dept. of the dealer where you bought your car can look up your VIN without you having to provide it. Because of the way parts systems software is designed today it can be very difficult for a dealer to just find a part in their system. Through this great forum I have been able to supply parts numbers to my dealer in the past when they just couldn't locate a part - even when trying very hard to do so.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the helpful responses, guys! The parts source links may be especially useful and appreciated.

MB DNA probably had the best solution – snagging a VIN from an eBay listing. I hadn't thought of eBay, where it's common to find listed VINs – I had been looking in other classified ad sources which typically don't list VINs.

The BoConcept mirror caps, wheel center caps, and interior trim (all in yellow, and my first choice) are scarce. Finding a good BoConcept VIN may take some time, but that's okay.

Is it really a big deal with giving someone a number that takes 2 seconds?

The parts that I'm interested in don't correspond to the VIN of my car, so providing my VIN would be pointless.

I'm looking for replacement parts that correspond to other models or years.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
their software probably requires a VIN to start the process, they may not be able to go any farther with the computer unless they have a number to put in.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Is there a way to set it for ED rather than gas? I could only seem to get the ICE version of the smarts part filter to show. My VIN didn't seem to be valid.

Never mind. Apparently the 451 ED is a "2016 Smart ForTwo Electric". Pretty amazing since we leased ours in 2014.
Not much difference... As a matter of fact , my son's ICE is a 2015 BUT for the most part , things seem to show up as a 2013 year (no diff there either)

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks for the helpful responses, guys! The parts source links may be especially useful and appreciated.

MB DNA probably had the best solution – snagging a VIN from an eBay listing. I hadn't thought of eBay, where it's common to find listed VINs – I had been looking in other classified ad sources which typically don't list VINs.

The BoConcept mirror caps, wheel center caps, and interior trim (all in yellow, and my first choice) are scarce. Finding a good BoConcept VIN may take some time, but that's okay.

The parts that I'm interested in don't correspond to the VIN of my car, so providing my VIN would be pointless.

I'm looking for replacement parts that correspond to other models or years.

Check your Tapatalk messages. Found a vin from a boconcept that was being sold on CarMax a while ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The way the parts system is set up is to look up by VIN, otherwise there are too many permutations that make the result useless. You can look up parts by model number but you would need to know the exact model designation, such as 451331 or 451334, etc. Parts people are not trained to do it that way. They get paid on commission for the most part and do not wish to take the time to do all your research for you wading through various color codes and such.

You can go to https://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/ and subscribe to the Electronic Parts Catalog and look up your own numbers.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pre-purchase parts installation questions:

• Are standard 451 trim rings fot the tach/clock interchangeable with the SOC gauges of an ED, i.e., will they universally fit?

– How do you R&R the trim rings?
– How do you R&R the wiper stalk cap?

• Is the front grille-mounted logo detachable, leaving the grille intact, without signs that a logo had been removed?

– Is the grille removal difficult? (Clips seem hard to access.)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not much difference... As a matter of fact , my son's ICE is a 2015 BUT for the most part , things seem to show up as a 2013 year (no diff there either)
Ummm, except for the propulsion and cooling systems. Filtering also helps remove all the ICE parts that aren't applicable, and there are *many* >:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts