Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Veronika and I got into an accident a couple years back in my Smart Car Electric and I cannot afford to fix it. I am trying to see if there is anyone that needs parts for their smart car or if anyone would like to buy the car from me as is and repair it?

This has never happened to me before and I do not know what to do with the car. It is just sitting in my driveway covered and I know that I will not have the money to fix it any time soon.

I am just trying different avenues to maybe give this car a good home.

Thank you

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure there's folks here willing to help you. I'm not sure where you're located(IE) However that information would be helpful. There's a company in San Diego California. That are parting out Electric smart cars. That came out of fleet use. Exactly what is wrong with yours? What was the dollar estimate for repairs?

Good luck, Rick.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
Sled only, in California? And your black on black 2013 smart ED has a "Titania Grey (Matte)" tridion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure there's folks here willing to help you. I'm not sure where you're located(IE) However that information would be helpful. There's a company in San Diego California. That are parting out Electric smart cars. That came out of fleet use. Exactly what is wrong with yours? What was the dollar estimate for repairs?

Good luck, Rick.
Hey Rick,

I am located in San Bernardino and to be honest I never got a quote on how much to repair the car, so I have no idea.

the front right side of the car is pretty banged up and the windshield is cracked. the airbag on the steering wheel deployed as well as the airbag below the steering wheel to protect your legs. it is not the entire front end, just the right side. but because it has sat in my driveway for a year and half the battery will not charge, which means it needs to be recalibrated.

not sure how much that helps...thanks for the info about the company in San Diego. what exactly do they do?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,564 Posts
I am confused......did you not have insurance? If your car was financed, the lender would require insurance, if not, were you driving with no coverage? It just seems odd, that a fairly new car would sit for two years and not be repaired.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am confused......did you not have insurance? If your car was financed, the lender would require insurance, if not, were you driving with no coverage? It just seems odd, that a fairly new car would sit for two years and not be repaired.
they let me drive off the lot with the insurance I had on my other car w/o adding the smart car to the insurance before I left. then my insurance did not have coverage for the smart car and I got in the accident.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hey Rick,

I am located in San Bernardino and to be honest I never got a quote on how much to repair the car, so I have no idea.

the front right side of the car is pretty banged up and the windshield is cracked. the airbag on the steering wheel deployed as well as the airbag below the steering wheel to protect your legs. it is not the entire front end, just the right side. but because it has sat in my driveway for a year and half the battery will not charge, which means it needs to be recalibrated.

not sure how much that helps...thanks for the info about the company in San Diego. what exactly do they do?
Needs to be replaced. That was a ~$30k mistake, not charging it. Sure, by now maybe you can find a used battery out there for far less, and you'll have to find somebody savvy enough to replace it without killing themselves from the high voltage. :crying: :(

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,761 Posts
That was a ~$30k mistake, not charging it.
The first $30k mistake was not insuring it.

Don't think BP can take a charge without a functioning brain?

Might want to first charge the 12V so as to wake up ED's computer?

This all remains rather confusing, guess as long as you continue to make payments they won't repo that mangled "low mileage" piece of uninsured metal in the driveway?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They have not come to take it away thus far...and I have continued to make the payments on it. I know that not having insurance was not a good thing, but they let me drive off the lot with only the insurance I had on my truck. When my insurance did not want to insure the smart car, then I was scrambling to find someone else...in the mean time I needed to find a way to get to back and forth to work.

Thanks for your help...someone told me that there is a place in San Diego that sells parts for smart cars now...since they have been around for a while. Maybe I can sell it to them once I buy the car...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Advertise the car on eBay, call the nearest SMART CENTER and ask for the Used Car manager and ask if he knows who would buy the car, check out the SD SMART parts source to sell to to be parted out! There are a lot of expensive parts in the car but if you let is sit it WILL BECOME worthless so time is not on your side!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts