Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys so I have a check engine light for two lean at idle and I need to go thru emissions.

Was thinking of putting on the original injectors and keeping open the wastegate and let the car clear the light and set the readiness codes so I can go thru emissions ....

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
358 Posts
I dont even swap the injectors or disconnect the sfr computer, I just put my cat back in and open the wastegate and drive it around the day before, passed inspection the day after last time... as long as no codes pop up. :shrug:

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's fine as long as the county doesn't find out.
I've thought about doing the same thing, but I'm good for another 23 months. I had my inspection prior to having the turbo kit installed.

·
Registered
493 Posts
my 450 (with turbo) has passed NY smog every year with out issue.. BUT what really throws the red flag up is the VIN..
usually every car built has 17 numbers.. and the 9th is the year... BUT Smart (pre 08) the 9th digit is a "1" or "2" my car is an 05.. so they think its stolen or rebuilt wreck.. so then I explain, with a posting on another site using my pad, that explains the "1 " is cabrio, and "2" is coupe. they check it out and I get my sticker...

so every year at inspection i have to bring this posting ,(i printed up so they have a hard copy) to the inspection place, (same place i go to every year) and go through it all again and AGAIN... and I have the ONLY 450 registered in the state of NEW YORK!!... they told me this..

best advice to pass smog, 91 Octane (or better) on,a FULL tank, take a long drive like you STOLE it. Then get it smogged..
steveg.

·
Registered
883 Posts
best advice to pass smog, 91 Octane (or better) on,a FULL tank, take a long drive like you STOLE it. Then get it smogged.. steveg.
A good smog station should run the car on the dyno to heat up the Cat before testing. If you drive in and have to wait for a smog, the Cat will cool and could fail.

Long hard drive, burn that carbon off. When I did smog, the tech said as long as the CEL is not illuminated [and the emissions controls have not been altered] then passing smog should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts