Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was shopping for a used Smart I thought all Passions had a badge near the side view mirror. Mine does but do they all?

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
Yes, if there is no badge it is a Pure. If it has a Passion badge it is a Passion. At least I believe that holds true for the 451's anyway. But by the same token I've seen Pure's that have had more options than a Passion, so the trim level could be a misnomer. DCO

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I cannot tell you how many people and used car dealers list their cars a Passion without the badge. But then the ads I've seen say front wheel drive and dual climate controls. Almost every ad I saw had at least one false claim. In most cases it's a case of typo but the purchaser must be diligent.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a slightly different note, mine has chrome side mirror covers. Was that an option or was it aftermarket? I'm the third owner. The first was Mercedes for 3 years (lease I assume ) then the second owner for 3 months.

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
The chrome mirror 'caps' was a factory option called "chrome package" and were most likely available individually as well. As for the Passion side badges, they can fall off. Both of them have come off on my current Passion. My 2008 Pure was listed on the title as a Passion Pure. It was a Pure, and at the time, there was not a listing for a Pure at the DMV or even at the bank for loan purposes.

The "Passion" was a trim package and it was possible to start with a Pure and add options to 'make' a passion by adding options. The biggest giveaway would be the pano roof and the steel wheels. Steel wheels were only on the Pure, and a solid roof was only available on a Pure, and the Pure does not have the paddle shifters. You could get power windows on both models, and power steering.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The chrome mirror 'caps' was a factory option called "chrome package" and were most likely available individually as well. As for the Passion side badges, they can fall off. Both of them have come off on my current Passion. My 2008 Pure was listed on the title as a Passion Pure. It was a Pure, and at the time, there was not a listing for a Pure at the DMV or even at the bank for loan purposes.

The "Passion" was a trim package and it was possible to start with a Pure and add options to 'make' a passion by adding options. The biggest giveaway would be the pano roof and the steel wheels. Steel wheels were only on the Pure, and a solid roof was only available on a Pure, and the Pure does not have the paddle shifters. You could get power windows on both models, and power steering.

Hope this helps.
Also in '09 the Passion was available with the solid roof as an option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts