Smart Car of America Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1115 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that many of us have had our cars for a year now and I haven't really noticed this question posted except a few remarks buried here and there I'm wanting to know how many other Passion Coupe owners have their roof crazing.

I've had my car a year now and do not garage it, it has spent maybe 2-3 weeks total in my garage over total ownership time. The panoramic roof is now spiderwebbing or "crazing". "Dave S" described it as spiderwebbing at the Orlando meet a few months ago but also noted he didn't know too much about it as he hadn't seen it. I had wanted to walk him over to my car as he was not 35 feet away from it and show him. Well, it is getting much worse BUT even though my car is only a year old it does have 26k miles on it so I'm now on my own. :mad:

I would call it crazing:

Definition:
Crazing is a network of fine cracks inside a surface or glaze of a surface.Crazing is a phenomenon that frequently precedes fracture in some glassy thermoplastic polymers. Crazing occurs in regions of high hydrostatic tension, or in regions of very localized yielding, which leads to the formation of interpenetrating microvoids and small fibrils. If an applied tensile load is sufficient, these bridges elongate and break, causing the microvoids to grow and coalesce; as microvoids coalesce, cracks begin to form.

My car has SERIOUS crazing now, it's quite disturbing to point I am now considering painting it silver to match the tridion. There are positive points and negative points about it.

+ is it would be cooler in the summer with lighter cooler and I would also add a headliner.

- is I love the open airy feeling of the interior when I open that sunshade, painting the roof I'd loose that.

Just wondering if any others out there are starting to have this problem? I've had it for some time but it is now getting bad. :confused:

·
Registered
841 Posts
BbB-What is your theory on the causes?
-sun
-elements/rain
Would garaging really help?
Did you apply cleaners?
What replacement options are there? $?

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I'm thinking UV rays is the cause of it. I don't think cleaners would make a difference as the hairline cracks are INSIDE the roof. Not on the inside or the outside. My dad's Passion is always kept in the shade or carport and the roof still looks like new. We picked his up last July 4th. My roof had started crazing after about 8 months.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I sure would be interested to hear from other in the sun belt who don't garage their cars how common this is as oposed to those that keep it in the shade or under a Cal Pop top when in the sun.
I think you should spend the bucks on one of those tops as a preventitive measue just in case, especialy if you might need to sell one of those cars.
http://www.capoptop.com/purchase.htm

Oh, and for those that may be putting a shade between the sunscreen and the roof, You may be adding heat to the Bayer Policarb and potentialy making the issue worse.

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
If that is a manufacturer defect I don't know what is as they the roof shouldn't be cracking in a year. I will raise hell to smart if mine does this as I put my money in the car expecting quality. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
FWIW, mine still looks like new but I'm up here in NJ. The car is not garaged except for occasional weekends but is covered at night. During the day, it sits in the full sun at work. (I picked it up May 1st and it's been my daily driver since then.)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Crazing is indeed a small series of flaws in the chemical soup that makes the clear roof. Since the roof is part of the structural integrity of the car for passenger safety I would certainly be challenging smart (MB) about your future wellbeing.

To be sure, it would require independent testing (read expensive) to be positive, but since this is "just" out of warranty I would be threatening them that IF they don't replace it and you have an accident, your lawyer will be advising your estate that the weakened roof was the cause of your demise...... squeeky wheels and lawyer threats are the best way to get action these days with the diarrhea of law school grads being puked out today.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
...aircraft windows are exposed to heavy doses of UV rays at altitude, carbon residues from other jets just sitting on the tarmac and the condition you describe only had but one solution...replacement...today this windows made out of many materials like Monolithic acrylic ,Laminated acrylic ,Acrylic/Glass laminates and Glass/Glass laminates can be restored/recondition to like new conditions by many processes....the company we use, Perkins Aircraft Windows, does a hell of a job for us and if you ever see this work being done you'll tell yourself "it will never be the same"...the whole process start with sanding up from 180 grit, which makes the plastic totally milky white, using a jitter bug sander, working your way up to 6k and even 10k grit, finish the whole thing with an anti-static coating and protective wax..
...can it be done on the smart?...I don't see why not...my 1c

jetfuel

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Crazing is indeed a small series of flaws in the chemical soup that makes the clear roof. Since the roof is part of the structural integrity of the car for passenger safety I would certainly be challenging smart (MB) about your future wellbeing.

To be sure, it would require independent testing (read expensive) to be positive, but since this is "just" out of warranty I would be threatening them that IF they don't replace it and you have an accident, your lawyer will be advising your estate that the weakened roof was the cause of your demise...... squeeky wheels and lawyer threats are the best way to get action these days with the diarrhea of law school grads being puked out today.
You do make a good point Russ........good food for thought. We're heading down to the Old Town meet in a few weeks and I have to get the 2.0 upgrade so I may show it to them then. Other than that, I haven't complained about it at all to anyone....until I mentioned it in this thread.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I wish the '08's would have had the '09 steel option, I'd have paid extra not to have the heat, scratches and potential failures after extended time, plus a thickness that would give space for real insulation.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...aircraft windows are exposed to heavy doses of UV rays at altitude, carbon residues from other jets just sitting on the tarmac and the condition you describe only had but one solution...replacement...today this windows made out of many materials like Monolithic acrylic ,Laminated acrylic ,Acrylic/Glass laminates and Glass/Glass laminates can be restored/recondition to like new conditions by many processes....the company we use, Perkins Aircraft Windows, does a hell of a job for us and if you ever see this work being done you'll tell yourself "it will never be the same"...the whole process start with sanding up from 180 grit, which makes the plastic totally milky white, using a jitter bug sander, working your way up to 6k and even 10k grit, finish the whole thing with an anti-static coating and protective wax..
...can it be done on the smart?...I don't see why not...my 1c

jetfuel
AHHHH....maybe that's my problem. At work I do park my car about 400 yards away from running aircraft.....maybe it's the propwash and not the UV rays. :rolleyes:

I would think that this would be something that Smart would do if my eyes are playing tricks on me and it is actually on the upper layer of the roof. That being said, I could do the same myself.....might have some access to the items you just mentioned. :eek:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alan remember I asked Dave S. about the roof thing and he said that was a great question and wanted all my info but never got back to me on the subject. My whole roof is now spider webed.
AHHH, I got it mixed up. I thought he addressed it before you mentioned it. Well then, time for Sunbelt people to stand up and speak out if we're having problems. I do love the panoramic roof - don't get me wrong. It's one of many unique things that make the car what it is....UNIQUE.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
...not prop wash per say....but the fumes/exhaust/carbon emission of a prop jet/jet engine is worst than any acid rain you will ever encounter...and if it sits on the roof and your car gets morning dew it will more than accelerate the problem...
..BBB try this...after work run a white towel over one of the corners of the roof and see what color it comes back to....

jetfuel

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
For what it's worth (probably not much), some of the plastic safety guards on a machine I operate exhibit crazing. I'm not sure what type of plastic they're made of ... looks like plexiglas to me. The machine is six years old and hasn't seen the light of day since it was installed... any UV it has been exposed to might be from fluorescent lighting. I doubt that's s significant source of UV. The crazing is most obvious along corners, where the plastic was formed ... maybe by heating. So, there are other causes. Stress, changes in temperature, who knows what else?

·
He's not mine
9,619 Posts
...NCC...what's that plastic expose to?...cutting oils/chemicals/
Paper dust, vibration, mild cleansers. The equipment it houses uses grease and light oil but it is very uncommon for those lubricants to come into contact with the guards.

Question for Bumb-Bling: Is the crazing uniform across the roof, or more pronounced in certain areas?

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Ah, you poor Floridians... Now your pano roofs are looking just like those middle-aged women on the beach! :eek:

Seriously - sounds bad.

My smart is 14 months old, garaged at night, out in full overcast by day and no crazing.

1 - 20 of 1115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.