Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, my smart car is peeling like a bad sunburn. when ya'll are saying "paint
your own" are you saying to get touch up paint and just paint it, then put a
clear coat cover on it? do you get the clear coat from MB or from a paint place?
I'm really starting to hate this smart car.

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
:welcome: to SCoA! :)

Your call; assuming your car is out of warranty smart USA is probably not going to help - but they might. Try posting your situation on their Facebook page or on smartusainsider.com It might be cheaper to replace panels than to have them all repainted.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The answer to your question depends on your skill/comfort level, and what color you smart is. Is it painted, or molded in color? MIC is easier to fix, you can simply sand the clear, and shoot a new coat of clear over it. A painted finish(any of the metallics) is more difficult, if not impossible. With the metallics, once the clear has peeled, all protection for the metal flake is gone. Any sanding you do will disrupt the metallic, and it will stick out like a sore thumb if you try and clear over it. Your only real choice here is a complete repaint. At that point, it may just be cheaper(and far easier) to order new panels.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
it's a 2009 and red. it isn't metallic. so a clear coat outdoor type will do it? it stays outside all year.
You need a good automotive urethane clear coat. From your posts so far, I'm assuming you don't have a good automotive spray gun or compressor. Eastwood sells a nice two part automotive clear in a spray can. Not my choice by a long shot, but it will work if you don't have the necessary equipment to do it the other way. You will have to sand the clear where it is peeling to get it back to where it's in good shape, then feather the edge, and prep the panel, then clear coat it.

This is obviously a very brief summary. I could fill pages on how to properly prep a surface to be painted. Do you research, search Youtube for Eastwood's channel, they have a lot of great how-to videos posted that will give you more info.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There's no sanding to where the clearcoat is in good shape on my wife's '09 red smart. It just keeps peeling farther and farther. The access cover is naked and the fenders are well on their way too. I'm thinking of a repaint once all the clear is gone, maybe for the wife's birthday. July will be the final payment on hers so the money I would set aside can be used for a paint job.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
There's no sanding to where the clearcoat is in good shape on my wife's '09 red smart. It just keeps peeling farther and farther. The access cover is naked and the fenders are well on their way too. I'm thinking of a repaint once all the clear is gone, maybe for the wife's birthday. July will be the final payment on hers so the money I would set aside can be used for a paint job.
Hmmm? Two peeling red 09's... Did smart have an issue with a batch? Peeling clear is most often a result of poor surface prep. Whether not cleaned properly, or not prepped right(e.g. sanded). Maybe the mold release wasn't properly washed off a batch? I'm not sure how smart preps the panels for clear coat. I'm sure they go through some kind of chemical bath to remove the mold release. With the paints I use, you can typically clear right over the base coat within 24 hours(usually within 20-30 minutes) without having to scuff the base. Just tack rag it, and spray. Not sure how it works with the MIC plastic panels....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
smartUSA is fully aware that there is a bad batch of rally red panels out there. I would suggest anyone having this issue to contact smartUSA and open a case file with them. They have been taking care of some of these issues case by case. It usually involves panel replacement after a service rep. inspects your vehicle.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Wouldn't new panels be cheaper than paint ???

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Probably. At one time MIC colors were about $800 for a set(metallics about $1300). I've seen them advertised on ebay for $1000 recently. You'll pay more than that to have a smart professionally painted. Shoot, with free labor, I can't do it for much under $400...:( Paint is getting rediculous.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Probably, but my wife is partial to purple and she's a Red Hatter so purple with the already red interior would be a nice surprise for her. She's already got 2 purple feather decals on the tridion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts