Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a used smart that had some peeling on the driver side door.
It looked like the way clear cellophane tape yellows and then starts to peel with age.

Now the spot has grown considerably after just a couple of months. It's not paint peeling and I know the doors are dent resistant plastic, so I assume it has something to do with the plactic finish coming off.

Is there any way to repair (maybe sand and paint?) this or do I have to replace the whole door skin?
Any help would be appreciated. Love my car.
Ropetrick

·
Registered
14 Posts
2013 passion red. I had to paint the whole car. The clear coat peeled. Wash the car with a pressure washer and discover new peeling problems. I had to DA the clear coat (where is properly adhered to the paint is tough to remove), adhesion promoter, primer, paint and clear coat. Mercedes Benz will not cover under warrantee. I just received a call from Mercedes Benz Puerto Rico offering the new models. I told them this is the most unreliable car I have ever owned in my whole life (60 years now). 23,000 miles. Problems with transmission servo (two times), door hinge driver side excessive noise due to loose welded component on hinge, sway bar bushings gone and the clear coat problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Sad to say but that is not something that only happens on smarts, I have had a few cars (different brands) that have had paint problems over the years. your other option would have been to replace the panel. not sure what would have been less expensive with having to DA the panels you have vs replacement. I believe replacement panels here in the USA are around $800 plus shipping (?) Sometimes you can find used parts and save a bit of money too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any such deterioration would be covered under the rather long factory warranty which is 48 months from the first delivery and 50,000 mile whichever comes first and is fully transferrable to subsequent owners! Mercedes-Benz owns the Mfg Co. which built the car and has deep enough pockets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts