Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a new one. Never seen this posted before. I was washing the car today, and notice this. Peeling paint on the front left bumper inside grill area. I thought at first it was a rock chip that started this. Peeling from the inside out. Car going on 5 years old. Wish the panel were colored all the way though. Hope it doesn't get worst, down into the bumper area. (It will). Also the shiney finish on the piano black rear roof spoiler is deteriorating.

The plastic glass roof still looks new.:)

·
17,384 Posts
Could it be a defect in the paint that took five years to manifest itself?

On the driver side B-pillar I discovered an odd defect in my paint. There's a pinhole in the clear coat (possibly down to the metal) that's no bigger than a pixel on an iPhone 5 screen. It's so small you have to reflect light off the surface at centimeter range to see the imperfection. It looks as if someone took a really hot sewing needle and poked that one place...odd...

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Front fender on Ebay is going for 250 dollars. Plus labor. Cheaper then repainting it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
My car has always been garaged too.

That is why your roof is fine. Regarding the paint, you could get a small amount of clear coat from the hardware store and paint one or two layers over where it is pealing to stop it. Or get a new panel.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I have seen my black piece above the rear window get cloudy from time to time. First time it happened I talked to the dealer in Bloomington and they told me to use a cleaner wax on it. Took care of it in a short time of rubbing. It has returned after a few months but I just clean it and it looks fine. I have the bleck panels on my car and it sits outside 100% of the time, no problems with clearcoat bubbling or peeling.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have seen my black piece above the rear window get cloudy from time to time. First time it happened I talked to the dealer in Bloomington and they told me to use a cleaner wax on it. Took care of it in a short time of rubbing. It has returned after a few months but I just clean it and it looks fine. I have the bleck panels on my car and it sits outside 100% of the time, no problems with clearcoat bubbling or peeling.
I've done that a couple times. Looks really good, then turns cloudy after a couple washes. I've notice the same thing on other cars too. The shiny B pillar trim turn really cloudy. Plastic's can stand up to the UV I guess.

I was thinking my paint is peeling cause the body panels are very flexible, its coming off from the inside edge. The panels were only painted on the front side.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Have you considered touching it up? Dealers sell touch up paint and clear coat kits. I think I paid about $25.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I've read here about the seperating clear coat on multiple Rally Red cars. Tuesday I saw another first hand. It was bubbling on multiple panels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
all the paint fell off

I find posts about a peeling spot of paint but on my 09 pure, all of the clear coat on the red paint fell off. I am not talking about a little spot or two but all of the clear on one color. It started with a bubble in the clear, then several bubbles and within a few months, the clear was flapping in the wind whenever I drove the car. It looked truly like a some sort of clown joke car going down the road. I called Smart and they claimed they have never had a problem like that before. They said it must have been something I did. All of the clear that was on the red paint was removed by hand peeling. There is no way in hell I, or anyone else can cause that to happen. It must be a defect and I can not be the only person in the world with this problem. I read somewhere about a paint recall on that year, but the factory rep I spoke with said there was no such thing as a recall involving paint and actually laughed at me. It is not funny when I just paid $2000 to have the car totally repainted. It was so expensive because you can not use the same grinders on the plastic panels as a normal metal panel. Everything had to be hand done. I appreciate any replies. phil

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Quality Control just isn't what it use to be....:D

Just in time manufacturing or as I call it, "in the nick of time" is leading to WAY more problems than solutions...Products are being brought to the market place before they have had time to bake, even half way...:rolleyes:

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Please tell me you didn't have it painted red. It would have been cheaper to buy a new set of panels. I would have seen it as an oppurtintiy to personalize/customize the car.....albeit expensive.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Please tell me you didn't have it painted red. It would have been cheaper to buy a new set of panels. I would have seen it as an oppurtintiy to personalize/customize the car.....albeit expensive.
Not sure if you are talk'n to me or someone else, but if so the answer is no..
Looks exactly like I bought it, except for 5 lug wheels and a BIG black honk'n air scoop on the side...

·
17,384 Posts
I find posts about a peeling spot of paint but on my 09 pure, all of the clear coat on the red paint fell off. I am not talking about a little spot or two but all of the clear on one color. It started with a bubble in the clear, then several bubbles and within a few months, the clear was flapping in the wind whenever I drove the car. It looked truly like a some sort of clown joke car going down the road. I called Smart and they claimed they have never had a problem like that before. They said it must have been something I did. All of the clear that was on the red paint was removed by hand peeling. There is no way in hell I, or anyone else can cause that to happen. It must be a defect and I can not be the only person in the world with this problem. I read somewhere about a paint recall on that year, but the factory rep I spoke with said there was no such thing as a recall involving paint and actually laughed at me. It is not funny when I just paid $2000 to have the car totally repainted. It was so expensive because you can not use the same grinders on the plastic panels as a normal metal panel. Everything had to be hand done. I appreciate any replies. phil
You're not the first one with this issue.

I think there are three others on this forum with that same issue. All of them 2009 rally red. 2009 was the introduction year for rally red. Maybe a few of the first cars had defects?

Also, why did you have the car repainted?
A brand spankin' new set of panels will cost you half the price you paid to paint the car.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Not sure if you are talk'n to me or someone else, but if so the answer is no..
Looks exactly like I bought it, except for 5 lug wheels and a BIG black honk'n air scoop on the side...
I shoulda said philiprelmore. :)

I was tired. Walked about 10 miles yesterday at this car show I'm at for the weekend.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're not the first one with this issue.

I think there are three others on this forum with that same issue. All of them 2009 rally red. 2009 was the introduction year for rally red. Maybe a few of the first cars had defects?

Also, why did you have the car repainted?
A brand spankin' new set of panels will cost you half the price you paid to paint the car.
Panels plus MB install cost. Over 100 bucks a hour. Not too many folks are going to challenge replacing panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I had any idea the panels were that cheap, I would have gone with the panels. The color runs through the panels. The expensive part was the hand work. All I want to do is sell this thing. I paid $10.400 for it and put nearly two grand in paint and work. I want $9.5K for it and it only has 15,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts