Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 09 rally red smart. My whole car is peeling also. Looks like it got sunburned and just peeled off. Nothing that I did would cause it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bubbling, now peeling...

:(
'09 Rally Red smart: clear coat started detaching from color infused panels on back and front of car. Small bubbles then started lifting, edges peeled all during winter 2013. Now it's spring and the entire front hood panel could be peeled off. It's a mess, unsightly and not covered by any recall/warranty by smart per the dealer here in Hampton Roads, VA. Add me to the list....

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I've got the same problem with my wife's '09 rally red smart, peeling the size of a saucer in spots. I use the same car washes & waxes on my '08 red and nothing wrong on the '08.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everyone that has 09 rally red smart should go the the SmartCar face book page and complain. You might get some action out of Mercedes. It surely can't hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
BTW I am going to keep all the old panels and try putting a rubber paint product, that you can peel off later on with no damage and see how that looks. Or sell the panels outright. They don't have any scratches, dings or gouges on them just no clear coat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Peeling clear coat

Francesca, I hope you get good results for your problem. My car is at the dealer right now getting all new panels.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! I'm waiting for Smart to get back to me at the moment. The top coat is peeling off in sheets...nasty looking. We've had a ton of rain and anywhere there's a bubble it's filled with water. What is so weird is how fast it happened. Like a change in temp just pulled it from the panels. The look is really unattractive and it's the ONLY complaint I've got about the car. I'll post when I hear what's going to happen next. I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rally Red Peeling Paint

Hey All:

It seems that the peeling paint is specific to 2009 Rally Red cars. Obviously a manufacturer's defect. We're not getting anywhere with the dealer and are looking for other owners to work with to get this resolved.

I'm about to post a video on YouTube and a website with the problem detailed. If you would like to add your car, let me know. I don't have any patience for companies who have evidence of a problem (one year, one color) and don't try to resolve it.

A little angry? You betcha.

So, looking to hear from anyone who finds this an issue.

Later,
Bonnie

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,748 Posts
Welcome to SCOA, sorry for your not-so-smart experience!

Sadly this is one of several obvious material defect problems that for the most part smart chooses to ignore?

You might choose to also post to Smart via Facebook as they are more into "social media" than the sometimes rogue SCoA Forum, YMMV.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/clearcoat-peeling-48755/

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2009 rally red four two has the same issue. The clear coat peels off in sheets. It’s mostly gone now. This started within the second year that I owned it. It’s obviously a paint defect. MB should take responsibility and fix it. I will never buy any other MB product nor recommend it to any one!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
My 2009 rally red four two has the same issue. The clear coat peels off in sheets. It’s mostly gone now. This started within the second year that I owned it. It’s obviously a paint defect. MB should take responsibility and fix it. I will never buy any other MB product nor recommend it to any one!
My daughters 1998 Accord, did the same thing. I see similar Honda’s with the same issue.

Your smart car, is 11 years old now. I bet Penske would have fixed it within the two-year warranty they offered back then. When the clear coat finish, started to peel off.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I recently spent a month sanding, polishing and reapply clear coat to my 2008’s roof. Like many, it was peeling and ugly.

During one of my visits to the automotive paint store, I asked a professional why this happens. he told me that in most cases, ultraviolet sunlight breaks the clear coat down over time, causing the peeling and chipping. There are UV blocking’s additives to help, but it’s only a matter of time and sun exposure that takes its toll.

The helpful expert I talked to recommended 2-part clear coat that cures much harder and, in theory, lasts longer. It’s marketed as “2K” (don’t confuse 2X - this just means there’s more paint in the can.)

The 2K spray paint has a glass vial inside the can that is broken using a plunger in the bottom of the can, then the entire contents list be used within 24 hours - after that it hardens inside the can. I found this paint covered very well, but the additional hardness proves a challenge to polish.

If you are going this route, cover EVERYTHING because overspray is a beast to clean up! Also, because of the glass vial inside the can, contents are only about 1/2 the quantity of conventional cans so plan on buying twice as many as expected. It’s also considerably more expensive, but I can say it works reliably and I’m
Happy with the results.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts