Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have a 2014 Smartcar fourtwo coupe/pure with 14,000 miles on it that was a Car2go in its prior life. I’m really Happy with it and have fixed a lot of minor problems on my own. I like how easy it is to change things like transmission and engine oil as well as oil, air and cabin filters. My current problem is that my roof is peeling! There appears to be some sort of textured film/membrane on the roof that is getting water under it via small cuts or holes that I can only assume have occurred over time. I can actually press the moisture out thru the small holes in the film. Where the water can’t be pressed out it bubbles up in various spots with one area actually peeling off and revealing hard roof under the film. I’ve been taping over these areas using duct tape made by Gorilla which actually is about the same black color as the roof. This is only occurring at the corners and sides of the roof. Any thoughts on how to fix this. I’m guessing this membrane/film may be some sort of aesthetic covering similar in texture to what’s covering my dash. Dr. Ray :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
The roof underneath is a plastic roof that will develop micro scratches over time causing the adhesive for the vinyl covering to come loose.The only thing that an cure it is to replace the whole roof, or peel off as much as you can and paint it, or use a vinyl wrap.
I did a vinyl wrap on my Pure and it came out nice. The covering only lasts 5-7 years and then it starts to deteriorate. sometimes sooner or later depending on where and how the car is parked,

Bad news is they all do it eventually, good news is it is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
if you do a vinyl wrap dont try peeling as much off instead just sand the entire thing down. trust me it will be better for you and your pockets. you do not want to peel just some off and then wrap it because if something else peels it will cause your new vinyl to bubble up. when my old pure did it to me I wrapped the roof in marine grade vinyl/leather for a fun look but vinyl works well too because that was what I had on it first. Pick something carbon fiber or textured black for a close to stock look or go crazy with whatever wacky colors they have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The roof underneath is a plastic roof that will develop micro scratches over time causing the adhesive for the vinyl covering to come loose.The only thing that an cure it is to replace the whole roof, or peel off as much as you can and paint it, or use a vinyl wrap.
I did a vinyl wrap on my Pure and it came out nice. The covering only lasts 5-7 years and then it starts to deteriorate. sometimes sooner or later depending on where and how the car is parked,

Bad news is they all do it eventually, good news is it is purely cosmetic.
Did you post a DIY procedure about how you applied the vinyl?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,264 Posts
I watched a bunch of youtube videos and it worked good. Only problem I had was cutting the outside edge too small and when I heated it with a heat gun to set it, it shrank a bit and exposed the edge. I peeled it off and redid it with no problems. I used a thicker vinyl to help cover the spots where the original coating was peeled off.

I should have found a garage to work in as the sunshine got to my eyes doing it on the street. Taking t to a pro shop might be a better idea if they could give you a decent price.

https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41970&stc=1&d=1557931064

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I took my Smart to a auto wrap shop and they did not recommend wrapping the top because they didn't think it would stay on and also it would show the imperfections. They said to try spray Plasti Dip or spray plastic paint. Anybody here do either?

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,324 Posts
You could try having a truck bed liner material sprayed onto the top. It is textured enough to cover imperfections, is made to expand and shrink in the heat and cold, it does come in colors other than black, and should not be too expensive. Most spray in bed liners cost 3-4 hundred dollars, but the smart roof is so small, maybe 20% of the bed liner cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts