Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The black solid top panel (not plexiglass sun panel) on my '13 Pure is peeling. It's blistering like paint and peeling off. Is this to be expected? Plus it has a texture that is hard to clean and looks uneven. Any recommendations how to fix or refinish the panel? I was thinking of looking into a spray-on coating like used on pickup beds. Not sure if repainting is best option.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
The black solid top panel (not plexiglass sun panel) on my '13 Pure is peeling. It's blistering like paint and peeling off. Is this to be expected? Plus it has a texture that is hard to clean and looks uneven. Any recommendations how to fix or refinish the panel? I was thinking of looking into a spray-on coating like used on pickup beds. Not sure if repainting is best option.
Sadly, pretty much expected, along with crazing of the plexiglass if one owns a smart with the sunroof.

·
Super Moderator
17,722 Posts
Sadly it is expected behavior. However thankfully since you have the solid roof you can do anything you want to it. You can bedliner it, wrap it, or just shoot some Krylon at it. Most people seem to just get a wrap and call it a day.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had mine in my 09 wrapped in carbon fiber, then i had it sanded down and wrapped in bright red marine leather with super strength adhesive. Stayed perfect until it was time to trade it in. Id recommend a wrap as a leather roof isn't for everyone haha You can have it sanded down and then wrapped to adhere better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts