Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer Mercedes-Binz is giving Penske the boot as to sell the smart. They have been in discussion about it for awhile apparently but, this summer the changes will happen and we all will need to be going to Mercedes-Binz for our maintenance. I am happy for this; my maintenance station seems like a bunch of crooks to me. I have had so much trouble with them it's surreal. The only people who have stayed true to their word for me is the sales people. Smart will still be sold in the USA but, under Mercedes-Binz. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Tell me your thoughts about Penske getting the boot?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
This summer Mercedes-Binz is giving Penske the boot as to sell the smart. They have been in discussion about it for awhile apparently but, this summer the changes will happen and we all will need to be going to Mercedes-Binz for our maintenance. I am happy for this; my maintenance station seems like a bunch of crooks to me.
Wait until you see MB maintenance prices :eek:

·
5,297 Posts
Maybe some new thoughts; been a few weeks since anyone has commented.

Thread moved to the Transitions subforum for better exposure.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Wait until you see MB maintenance prices :eek:
I already do!! Just for Ha ha's I did a cost comparison between our smart and our 2010 Subaru Forester. The first year of service for the smart was $185 and the Subaru after 11 months of ownership has cost nearly $230 (4 oil changes and a minor service at 7500K miles) So with that in mind, smarts DO NOT cost all that much to maintain for at least the first year.:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I already do!! Just for Ha ha's I did a cost comparison between our smart and our 2010 Subaru Forester. The first year of service for the smart was $185 and the Subaru after 11 months of ownership has cost nearly $230 (4 oil changes and a minor service at 7500K miles) So with that in mind, smarts DO NOT cost all that much to maintain for at least the first year.:)
My smart dealer charged me $249.99+tax for the first service on my smart. They also charged me extra for tire balance and said I needed alignment. I now have only 12,000 miles on my car.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My smart dealer charged me $249.99+tax for the first service on my smart. They also charged me extra for tire balance and said I needed alignment. I now have only 12,000 miles on my car.
Hokey smokes!:eek: I hope they at least had a coffee machine there that you could use!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
either way, owning a Smart isn't the cheapest car out there, but who didn't know that? 6 one way, half dozen the other. All I need is a parts source (don't expect that to be cheap either!).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for pointing out my crummy spelling. English wasn't my first language and it's hard for me to spell. I did good just sounding out a word even if it is small and easy for you. As for it not being recent knows I didn't know. I don't hang out on websites or research all things smart even though I own one. I was told by someone who works for a smart dealership and was really excited only because Ancira wants to charge out the wazoo.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
So, if I subtract off the 7 hours of travel I'm about to incur this Monday to drive to the Smart Center closest to me as opposed to the Mercedes Benz dealer down the street, subtract the gas for the trip, the potential hotel bill if I must stay the night, etc. There is enough equalization that the Benz Dealership becomes attractive. Maybe when they become a supplier, their parts department will be friendlier. The last time I went in for smart parts, they looked at me like I was from another planet, and I was not wearing pink, no piercings, or tattoos. Just my usual ugly old self. What's wrong with Ugly?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, if I subtract off the 7 hours of travel I'm about to incur this Monday to drive to the Smart Center closest to me as opposed to the Mercedes Benz dealer down the street, subtract the gas for the trip, the potential hotel bill if I must stay the night, etc. There is enough equalization that the Benz Dealership becomes attractive. Maybe when they become a supplier, their parts department will be friendlier. The last time I went in for smart parts, they looked at me like I was from another planet, and I was not wearing pink, no piercings, or tattoos. Just my usual ugly old self. What's wrong with Ugly?
They looked at you like your crazy because they do not supply or work on Smart Cars at this point. They won't announce tell this summer about it.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Designer "jenes"

They looked at you like your crazy because they do not supply or work on Smart Cars at this point. They won't announce tell this summer about it.
I had a Mercedes part number that I wanted to order. They told me I would have to go to a Mitsubishi dealer in town to order parts, that they were going to be the local dealer.

:) The guys at that dealer had never even heard of a smart. :)
A What? Who makes it?
When we went to look at the smart we went wearing casual clothes, no not jeans.... The immaculately suited salesmen talking to each other around the perimeter of the showroom were unable to PERCEIVE that we had entered the showroom as were were not wearing designer label anything or Tuxes, so we could only be detected by the receptionist once she looked up from her desk where we awaited. We were then directed a block away to the smart center in a portable building. It has since been replaced with a grand showroom for Porsche with a small, side room (more like a closet) for smart.
Unfortunately the treatment we've received at the MB dealers both times feels so "better than thou" that it is icky. The engineering appeals to me not the designer label. To me the engineering is top drawer, with a reasonable price.
I expect the performance to continue to improve.

Where I work, I try to treat everyone as special. People come in wearing the rattiest home improvement clothes and buy 3 thousand dollar laundry pairs with Gold amex cards, at the drop of a hat. They will be looking at a $239.00 washer, but will buy the $1400.00 unit with the $229.00 pedestle and $100 service plan if you will show it to them and explain the benefits of true steam generators in both the washer and the dryer, and it is available in Nissan Cherry Red for just another $100. dollars. If they don't wish to spend that much, they will let you know, but if you don't show it, they won't know it, and won't go it.
Above all, you have to break the ice, make them laugh so they know you are approachable and not pushy. It makes for a fun time.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have to say that I'm always treated nicely at Mercedes of San Francisco. Even though my eyes bug out at the prices of new SL 550's, I use the same waiting area as the Mercedes folks. Here, they treat smart owners carefully, for tomorrow we might be shopping for something, um, a bit more upscale.... not me, personally, mind you, but I don't let them know that - that's a fact that has nothing to do with the transaction at hand. :)

@BB Benz - I grew up on the prairie, in coastal Texas. I remember that the father of one of my friends would always wear khaki work clothes into the car showroom when he negotiated for family cars (and they had a "family" plane for trips to Nebraska to check on farm holdings up there). My family kept an old Dodge with tail fins way past the "best by" date, on the other hand.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
you really can't tell who has money from the outside.
+1 - A lesson I learned from one of my father's college roomates. He was/is a self-made millionaire, from "common stock", and has never lost his middle-class values. At one point, he owned a high-end hotel in the Pacific NW, and was traveling on business, and showed up one evening, un-announced. He was in his normal non-business-meeting wear - jeans, t-shirt, beat-up sneakers. He was informed by the night manager that "his kind" would do better to look elsewhere, like the Motel 6. Jack managed to get the daytime manager on the phone, who promptly showed up (around the same time as the police, whom the night guy had called), and straightened out the issue. Night manager was suddenly out of work.
NEVER judge a book by its cover - it may be your boss!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts