Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Can't wait to see if some of you put Mercedes emblems on this one...

A tiny, Mexican-made, re-badged Japanese car sharing showroom and service drive space with S-class, AMG, and Maybach? I'd be seriously pissed off about this if I was a Mercedes dealer.

·
Banned
936 Posts
my concern is that "smart" really has nothing new, other than the "ED", coming out in the near future OR even in the concept stage.

what I'm afraid of happening is that instead of updating their current 1-model lineup or adding models, they've chosen to use other manufacturers models and simply label them as 'smarts'. this is EXACTLY what happened to Saturn. they're market campaign was "A different kind of car company", which became very successful. unfortunately they didn't update their lineup and had to rely, at first, on other GM models like the Pontiac G6, Pontiac Solstace to bolster their lines. when the small cars needed updating, they went to another GM line, Opel, and imported the new Vue and Astra. in the end, Saturn wasn't any different than any other GM line.......and that, in my opinion, killed them.

so it looks like to me that Jill is taking smart down the same road as Saturn, and we all know how THAT ended. :(

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Cant Argue with that Navy.

Except. Jill is dealing with the Line she was given. Smart's coming from Europe were not going to give her any more products for another 2-3 years to fill the showrooms. That is not smart USA / Jill's Fault.

Now they will have something different in the US even if nothing is coming from smartville and someone should get some credit for that

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
Cant Argue with that Navy.

Except. Jill is dealing with the Line she was given. Smart's coming from Europe were not going to give her any more products for another 2-3 years to fill the showrooms. That is not smart USA / Jill's Fault.

Now they will have something different in the US even if nothing is coming from smartville and someone should get some credit for that
Agreed, although it smells of Team Saturn, it is up to The Captain (Roger) to make the smart distribution network viable. After all, it is his investment at risk and he is responding as a savvy businessman in the midst of a very trying economy.

Today the smartville pipeline provides only one vehicle, this will double the number of models available at our local smart dealer!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Smart has to do a lot of improving to stay alive here in the US. If I would have had the option to buy a smart roadster, I might have still been a smart owner. Smart dealers need a big enough line that they can break away from Mercedes dealerships, when you buy a economy car you shouldn't expect to have to pay luxury care rates for service. Even Ford knows that having affordable service keeps customers coming back. Around here Ford, Toyota, Kia, Honda, and even VW runs service items (oil chance, new tires, alignment,etc) comparably priced with independent garages, which are up to 50% less than Mercedes dealers. Another problem with the local smart dealer is NO TRADES. You buy it, and sell your trade in. every other dealership I know of takes trade in's. So what if it is a rebadged Nissan, If you can't trade for it, might as well go to the Nissan dealer, They take trade ins.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
I think it is a move in the right direction. It is labeled as a sub-compact staying true to smarts being small, economical cars.

I'm just wondering if they will smart-a-tize them. (here I go making up my own vocabulary again) Is it going to have a body that has panels that are easily interchangeable? (sorry if it said it somewhere and I overlooked it). Is it going to have accessories that can be added in a fashion like the ForTwo?

Just like MBDNA said, it is going to multiply the product line at the dealer x2. Now to think about how many employees each smart dealer has? Will they need more because of these being added to the product line? Sales, probably not. Finance, nope. Service, I think so. Shouldn't have to hire too many more people but it should be more sales so that means more $$. Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
they've already said it won't be a re-badge. has anyone even read anything about Nissan's global V platform? 3 cylinder engine (with supercharged option)...

NISSAN | KEEPING SMALL CARS SIMPLE

it's a brand new platform. not a great stretch of the imagination to see it mimic the 2014 forfour looks.

some of you make it sound like you think they're gonna pull every 13th micra off the line and swap logos on the hood and truck them to smart dealers.

·
17,384 Posts
More employees means....a greater opportunity for me to get my dream job :D
Something's telling me that while being a M.D. sounds fun, a career with smart is what I really want.

I'm slowly coming to terms with that might actually being true.

And once I figure out it is true, it'll be hard to break it to the parents...

·
17,384 Posts
You know when news broke out months ago that the new fortwo will be based on the Twingo platform?

This is what is happening to smart, they want to expand but it will cost them, their cars will no longer be original but rather something wearing a bodykit...

I hate to say that about my favorite brand but I feel this is the direction being taken at this time.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
USA only! Whew, I was worried there for a minute.

Of course they could have offered some REAL choice in the fortwo (diesel, turb0, BRABUS Turbo and Tailor Made) but NOOOO, instead it's a Micra with a chicken head slapped on its nose. Swell.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Now i have questions:
-Where will it fit on a smart sized showroom floor? ( i guess no tridion display for this one)

-How many can fit in a smart center's parking overflow area?

-Will people label all of smart as Nissan's Scion? Oh you got the new fortwo? I heard they're all just rebadged Nissans now. (and you thought you enjoyed the cramped deathtrap remarks)

Or will they be sold through Nissan dealerships?

This car would have been a PERFECT Nissan Saturn.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Everything you ever wanted to know about the new smart Micra.

NEW Nissan Micra

In the UK, you get a choice of two interiors:
  • black on black
  • beige on black
:rolleyes:

We used to commute to school in my roomate's Micra. It was OK for congested Milanese traffic.

But this is no European car and I will not be buying one.

·
5,297 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
You know when news broke out months ago that the new fortwo will be based on the Twingo platform?

This is what is happening to smart, they want to expand but it will cost them, their cars will no longer be original but rather something wearing a bodykit...

I hate to say that about my favorite brand but I feel this is the direction being taken at this time.
Same platform doesn't mean same car !!!!

You know the new ford Ka
you see a fiat 500

Both are made on the same platform, built in same plant and you can tell anything you want about them, except they look like twins !!!

In such a cooperation, it is interest of both, that each car stay different and with the brand's codes.

mtc

K

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Same platform doesn't mean same car !!!!
Glad to see you back Keshyathree! And, good points to remember. The Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta also "share" a platform, but don't really look much alike in the styling department and have different engines and transmissions.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts