Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Isn't the Scion IQ due out in the US sometime? Seems like a logical defensive play by Penske to get something with a back seat going.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"But this is no European car and I will not be buying one."

I think the days of single-continent car manufacturers are gone. global is as global does... Nissan is at least as european as Renault is Japanese ;-)

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you want to read a review of the newest Micra find a copy of the latest issue of "Car", the British car magazine. Nice long article about driving one through Asia.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
"But this is no European car and I will not be buying one."

I think the days of single-continent car manufacturers are gone. global is as global does... Nissan is at least as european as Renault is Japanese ;-)
Whereas you are correct that companies are global, national brands retain a certain je ne sais quoi.

The smart is unmistakably an European car in conception, economy, power, safety, performance envelope, price, features, and design. Those are the characteristics that separate it from what are typically known as "econoboxes" and "penalty boxes".

Well, the Nissan Micra is an econobox. This is why it won't even be considered by some. :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"The smart is unmistakably an European car in conception, economy, power, safety, performance envelope, price, features, and design. Those are the characteristics that separate it from what are typically known as "econoboxes" and "penalty boxes".

Well, the Nissan Micra is an econobox. This is why it won't even be considered by some."

I think they (Nissan, Renault, Daimler & smart) agree with you; they say they are differentiating it from econoboxes and will target the middle ground of the premium sub compact market. I read that as positioning it, like the mini, in the low to mid $20k range. (it has to cost more than a fortwo...) Different strokes, different folks.
I have no need for a back seat right now, but will wait and see what they come up with. If nothing else it should point the way to 2014. I imagine the platform is designed with electrics in mind as well (leaf) so there may be interesting things in the future. Regardless, I am grateful they aren't trying to build a smart crossover.
As far as poisoning the water, lots of VW parts in an Audi, etc. so nothing new here. As with most things it will come down to execution, and I think they have a good idea of what their brand stands for. (idea for what their brand stands?)

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts
Same platform doesn't mean same car !!!!

You know the new ford Ka
you see a fiat 500

Both are made on the same platform, built in same plant and you can tell anything you want about them, except they look like twins !!!

In such a cooperation, it is interest of both, that each car stay different and with the brand's codes.

mtc

K
Glad to see you back Keshyathree! And, good points to remember. The Mazda 2 and Ford Fiesta also "share" a platform, but don't really look much alike in the styling department and have different engines and transmissions.
Yes, that is true. However the new Twingo/fortwo will share the same mechanical components as said in many articles.

The only differences between the two will be where the engine is located and the fact that one looks like a smart and the other a Renault.

Or in other words, smart is once again taking a the forfour route and just taking a Twingo and a Micra and giving them a "smart" makeover.

Point still stands, they won't be a true smart, just another car wearing the chickenhead.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Still saying I like the idea of it. The ability to carry 4 people when needed and then the time when something needs hauled you just fold down the back seat. If it is outsized, leave the hatch up. Pretty much what I do now with my Yaris. (and a lot of the time with the smart, more than you guys want to know because of some of the stuff I haul in it:eek:.:cool:)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Still saying I like the idea of it. The ability to carry 4 people when needed and then the time when something needs hauled you just fold down the back seat. If it is outsized, leave the hatch up. Pretty much what I do now with my Yaris. (and a lot of the time with the smart, more than you guys want to know because of some of the stuff I haul in it:eek:.:cool:)
I thought today you were just hauling A$$ in your smart:rolleyes:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, that is true. However the new Twingo/fortwo will share the same mechanical components as said in many articles.

The only differences between the two will be where the engine is located and the fact that one looks like a smart and the other a Renault.

Or in other words, smart is once again taking a the forfour route and just taking a Twingo and a Micra and giving them a "smart" makeover.

Point still stands, they won't be a true smart, just another car wearing the chickenhead.
you guyz are amazing, really.....
if only car conception would be so simple....

So I will not argue anymore or try to explain...

If you really want to see next smart as a twingo, then farewell and have a nice day....

K

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Neon is talking about a different car.

Two things going on here

Renault.com - Strategic cooperation with Daimler AG
On April 17, 2010 the Renault-Nissan Alliance and Daimler AG
The successor to the current Smart fortwo, a new Smart four-seater and the next-generation Renault Twingo will be engineered on the basis of a jointly developed architecture
These are expected in 2013

Now to say the smart will be based on the Twingo would be like saying the Twingo will be based on the smart. as seen above they will engineer a NEW joint Architecture that will be the basis for both. It does not say they will be taking the Twingo and rebadging it any more than they are saying they will take the smart and rebadge it as a Twingo

Second thing is....
Smart USA and Penske didn't think they could wait for the mothership in Germany to give them more offerings so they worked out a deal with Nissan to rework the Micra to be rebadged as a smart to get more foot traffic into the showrooms

·
Super Moderator
29,206 Posts
you guyz are amazing, really.....

If you really want to see next smart as a twingo, then farewell and have a nice day....

K
When somebody at Smartville says the next generation fortwo is not a rebadged Twingo that carries some weight. Thanks K! :)

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Give me a second to find the url .... Geesh!!! :D

Merged.... with the existing... rather large thread.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
i guess i could've mentioned that I'm actually OK with the micra and am happy it's out there. And , you bet, i did wonder when Nissan would bring it stateside.

·
Super Moderator
17,598 Posts
Ahh, K works at smartville?!

My theories are now invalid...

I bow to you :)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
"you guyz are amazing, really.....

If you really want to see next smart as a twingo, then farewell and have a nice day.... K"

I for one, value your input here. unfortunately, it seems that some posters care more about having their greatest fears realized, than in reality (the details of which are unknown).

61 - 80 of 124 Posts