Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
It's just the prospect of having an unchanged Nissan Micra made in Mexico in US smart showrooms that is quite horrifying.

The longer-term platform sharing makes 100% good sense.

But slapping smart badges on a Mexican Micra looks like desperation on the part of Penske. Perhaps his terms for bailing from smart importation aren't as favourable as I imagined :D

·
17,384 Posts
Hey, maybe Penske could arrange some importation of the older smart models! (roadster, forfour, crossblade)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

«and a symbol of environmental consciousness»

Maybe for some. But frankly, ordering a brand new clump of steel, plastic, lead and cloth to be shipped all the way from France to the U.S. does not strike me as very environmentally conscious at all.

I'm pretty sure if I cared a fig about the environment I should have kept on driving my 1997 Australian car which was in tip top shape. But no, we wanted a convertible for the city, for our convenience, so we had all these resources mined, extracted, smelted, hydroformed, extruded, molded, refined, woven, baked, assembled, and transported across to the other side of the world.

What a corporate drone this woman is.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
The "corporate drone's" paycheck comes straight from the Captain, and she wouldn't be employed long if she went too far afield. It's all about money. Were it not for Penske, you WOULD NOT have smarts now. Try to remember that.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
. . . the plan is for it to have distinct smart attributes, from the world-class engineering to the styling cues, fuel economy benefits and overall low cost of ownership that is offered with the current smart fortwo. I read some of the comments calling it a “rebadged Nissan” or saying that it looks nothing like a smart. Keep in mind that the sketches we shared are just that, a sketch. This is by no means the final design.
We are less than a year from planning to have tires on the ground U.S. (Q4 2011) and we are still in the design phase?

Seems rather agressive?

smart USA soundboard =

·
17,384 Posts
«and a symbol of environmental consciousness»

Maybe for some. But frankly, ordering a brand new clump of steel, plastic, lead and cloth to be shipped all the way from France to the U.S. does not strike me as very environmentally conscious at all.

I'm pretty sure if I cared a fig about the environment I should have kept on driving my 1997 Australian car which was in tip top shape. But no, we wanted a convertible for the city, for our convenience, so we had all these resources mined, extracted, smelted, hydroformed, extruded, molded, refined, woven, baked, assembled, and transported across to the other side of the world.

What a corporate drone this woman is.
You know the fortwo is built using recycled/recyclable materials right? And that the car is 95% recyclable and that smartville is one of the greenest plants in the world?

And if such theory were correct, then how are you supposed to build a new car?

·
17,384 Posts
We are less than a year from planning to have tires on the ground U.S. (Q4 2011) and we are still in the design phase?
If I recall this is exactly how the forfour and roadster came to be the cars they are, their designs were rushed...

You can see it thoughout car history, while rushed cars can solve an immediate problem there are holes in their designs.

But I believe smart won't let another roadster/forfour tragedy (too high MSRP, not enough pros to outweigh MSRP) happen again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
back for some info

Hi all, and thanks again for interest to our tiny cars ;))

Just want to point out some details.

We are facing two different project and of course two differents results.

- cooperation with renault on next generation (3rd one) fortwo and "forfour"
As already stated by some of you, in this case we are in the direction of a complete new engenerring of the different models.
By sharing the developpment and later on sharing the purchasing of common parts, it is where we can gain some time and cost benefit.
But it is clear also for all, that the next twingo should not look like the next forfour, and it is not our intention clearly.

-coopération with nissan to quickly have a 5doors car on US market.

As far as we know they will start from a model and build-up what will make it a really, true smart.
It is more to see like an daptation. Doesn't mean automatically a re-badge.

What is the most timeconsuming by engeneering a car is not how it lookslike, inside neiter as outside. What is costly is the mecanics part, powertrain, the drive element, security element.
If you have already these parts, then you can gain some good time.

To the conclusion, of course this car will not be as "smart" as if it where completly engeneering from basis to top, but it is still an engeneering of smart.
With our idea, mojo, and all what make us proud to drive smart.

K

PS: appologies my mistakes, i am not native english speaker.

·
5,297 Posts
To the conclusion, of course this car will not be as "smart" as if it where completly engeneering from basis to top, but it is still an engeneering of smart.
Thanks, K.

Appears the members are not too far off overall on this up and coming model. It will be interesting to watch this develop to see what the final outcome will be. Please continue to keep us updated.

and...your English is well understood.

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Thanks K!
So, if I understand correctly:

—Nissan will allow Penske to introduce quickly a smart-specific but Nissan-based 5 doors on the US market only. Where is this one going to be built?

—Renault is working with Daimler to allow Smartville to build the new generations of fortwo and forfour (or whatever will come out then) with common parts.

Thank you!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks K!!!
Nice to hear from someone who has the real story rather than speculation.
Your input is very welcome.:)

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
Hi all, and thanks again for interest to our tiny cars ;))

Just want to point out some details.

We are facing two different project and of course two differents results.

K

PS: appologies my mistakes, i am not native english speaker.
K,

Good to hear a voice from distant smartville chime in on this subject and the two distinctly separate projects being undertaken by smart/Daimler and smart USA.

By in large, seems you have confirmed some of our speculation AND perhaps have given this thread a better focus!

Your smartville English is smart, thanks again.

Tom

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have to give credit to K from Smartsville. He answered an email I sent jim re the future of the diesel in Canada. He provided a clear although disappointing answer to my question. He is an asset to the Public Affairs team and renews my confidence in that the company is at least in touch with what we as end users want, even though they may not be able to provide it for various reasons.

Thanks K. You are welcome on this board anytime. Come and visit us on the Canadian Board sometime. We are here. Club smart car

By the way, your English is excellent.

John

81 - 100 of 124 Posts