Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on new shoes and would like "last minute" input from the crowd that uses them :D

I know about the slight rubbing in front on hard turns, etc.

My REAL question.....now that you have been running them...would you do it again ????

chief......rolling on semi-slicks :eek:

·
Premium Member
673 Posts
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on new shoes and would like "last minute" input from the crowd that uses them :D

I know about the slight rubbing in front on hard turns, etc.

My REAL question.....now that you have been running them...would you do it again ????

chief......rolling on semi-slicks :eek:
2 of my 3 smarts are running this size tire. I will definitely replace them with this size in the future. The most rubber between your wheel and the road! :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I've been running 185/60-15's on the front and 185/65-15's on the rear since just before the Denver nationals and will definitely replace them with the same again when they wear out. The speedometer is off by about 4 mph and the odometer is off by about 6-8% from stock so mileage is better than indicated. I made a mistake and tried 185/65's on the front and they are too big for the front but are perfect for the rear. If anybody is interested I have 2 185/65-15 Michelin Energy saver tires with less than 100 miles on them for sale, make reasonable offer. I bought 4 but had to replace the fronts with 185/60-15 Bridgestones because the Michelins rubbed too much.Chumly

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been running 185/60-15's on the front and 185/65-15's on the rear since just before the Denver nationals and will definitely replace them with the same again when they wear out. The speedometer is off by about 4 mph and the odometer is off by about 6-8% from stock so mileage is better than indicated. I made a mistake and tried 185/65's on the front and they are too big for the front but are perfect for the rear. If anybody is interested I have 2 185/65-15 Michelin Energy saver tires with less than 100 miles on them for sale, make reasonable offer. I bought 4 but had to replace the fronts with 185/60-15 Bridgestones because the Michelins rubbed too much.Chumly
PM sent :)

·
17,350 Posts
Love you Neon... but you DID read the thread title...right :wink:
Hence why I said "wider (but thinner)". 195 is always an option as well for the OP. :)

Edit: Which is YOU! :D Oh...bad brain, bad brain! :eek:

·
Registered
110 Posts
How about 195/55/15 a little more sidewall and a little more width. Does anyone run this size. and are you happy with it.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Been running 185/60-15 Michelins since Whiteout was a few months old. They are quiet, they handle so much better than the Conti's. While I only have 11,000 miles I know they are doing a great job. There is a slight rubbing, but only a few would be able to find it and the only if they were looking because it doesn't show. I did play with pressures quite a lot and finally ended up with 36# all around. I suspect I could get hands off driving if I played with the toe, but it's not worth the trouble. Yes they get my vote for ride, handling, noise and wear.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input :)

ONE LAST QUESTION ON THE SUBJECT ........

Since I'm going to the 185/60's all round and I have a "spare" 155/60

Will this trigger ESP since there is a -5.97% difference ?????

Thanks to all :D

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Just a WAG, but I'd say yes with that much difference. One way to find out....:)
I'd agree. Seems to me that I saw a 2-3% tolerance figure quoted somewhere, but I can't find it now. But, 6% would just seem to be asking for trouble.

What was the difference on that snow tire set you had trouble with, John?

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
The wheels & tire sizes are slightly different than stock - 5 in. rims in front, 6 in. rims in rear. Stock tire size in front, the rears are 175/65 vs. 175/55 so a little taller.
What a workout finding that old thread! :eek:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts