Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this rather interesting. I recently purchased a set of wheels from pepboys. They sent me an email asking that i post a review. So i did.
I actually posted a good review of the wheels themselves. However, i did mention that pep boys charges ridiculous prices to mount tires on those wheels. Their total cost to dismount my tires form the stock steelies, move the TPMS to the new wheels, then mount and balance the tires on them was $203. I found that to be excessive and said so, and posted what i ended up paying(at a dealer no less) to have the same work done.
Today i got the following notice. They rejected my review. Note the reason why. What that means is you can post any review you want, as long as it's not unfavorable. What a pile of crap!

Your opinion is very important to us and the Pep Boys community. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on ProLine 937 Dark Flat Black 15X6.5. Unfortunately your review did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site.
Rejection reasons:
directs business away

Here is the text of the review i (tried) to post. Everything i posted is factual. It would probably be a good idea to review their pricing to be sure it is competitive. Am i wrong to think this is crap? I know it's their website and as such they can reject anything they want, but why ask for reviews if you can't accept the good with the bad?

my review
"I picked up a new to me used car, but the steelies and hubcaps had to go!. It came stock with 15", and i wanted to keep it at the stock size. I am not a big fan of huge wheels with ultra low profile tires, at least not on my economy car.
So after doing lots of shopping around, i grabbed these. Pep boys was running the buy 3 get one free deal, so my cost out the door with PA sales tax was a little under $300. I ordered them on line and picked them up at the Allison park pep boys. Nice guys there, they even loaded them into my car for me. These wheels are a great deal cash and carry. They are not a great deal installed by pep boys. Seriously guys, an extra $203 to put these on my car? While the $33 for lug nuts isn't horrible, i got a set for $12. I took my car to a DEALER and they charged me $64 to dismount my tires, move the TPMS to the new wheels, and then mount and balance the tires on the new wheels. To be fair, the car was already there for PA state inspection, so it was already on the lift with the wheels off, but still, that's a huge difference. $76 Vs $203!!!! Had a taken it to a tire store, it would have been a few bucks less. SO while i can recommend these wheels as good looking and a great deal for under $300, that's only if you have them installed elsewhere."

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
Depending on the fine print in their website, you might have been subject to a lawsuit for a negative review - at least until this month, when the Consumer Review Fairness Act of 2016 became federal law. :)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Uh, the person did. The review got rejected because the author referenced the dealer and it's competitive price. Curious if you could resubmit and just note "elsewhere, for a lot less".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am sure i could resubmit the review omitting the art about how much pepboys charges for installation. The thing is, i simply stated the facts of pricing.
Here is their breakdown according to their website.
Installation $71.96 (that;s actually not that bad overall)
TPMS rebuild kit $97.99 (and this is where they hose you)
Lug nuts $32.99 (again, a little high but not horrific)

·
Banned
844 Posts
I am sure i could resubmit the review omitting the art about how much pepboys charges for installation. The thing is, i simply stated the facts of pricing.
yeah, Autobahn sells used TPMS off stripped, low mileage smarts for $50, you can get a new set on Ebay for $54 (4) NEW OEM Schrader for Mercedes Smart Tire Sensor Monitor TPMS Set OF 4

you might want to invest in locking lug bolts, just for peace of mind, nothing like going out to your car and see the nice wheels gone. I'm not sure of the market for custom smart wheels, but I had a neighbor with a late model Acura have the nice alloys ripped off his car, on blocks right in front of his house. (first time i've seen that in the 26 years i've lived here)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
That is high! Not worth the effort, but thank you for trying!!!!

Sent from my MT2L03 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new wheels are on my Prius C. 4 bolt rims, 15" not a highly "stealable" setup. The car lives in my garage, so no worries there. At work, i can look out the window and see it in the parking lot. I get in early enough that it's always sitting at the end of the row, and i have a clear shot from the window of my office.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
At least they gave you an answer. Last year I sent an unfavorable review (at their request) of a theatrical performance that, in my opinion, was nothing more than a sham by a cult to legitimize their movement. Of course they did not publish my review. When I looked at the other reviews there was not a single negative comment.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Almost makes you wonder that, in the event that they DID try to file suit against you for trying to leave a negative review, if you'd have been able to counter sue them for violating freedom of speech or something.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
The fact remains that they are a privately owned company and their website is there to promote sales and services. whether they print a good, bad or questionable review is up to them. If they decide to NOT print a review, that is their choice. As is their price structure. They need to pay the bills just like everyone else. You did your part in bringing it to light and that is about all you can do. further correspondences will not go anywhere and only drive you crazy. Not worth the hassle. Knowing their pricing scheme, I will check prices on other competitors when dealing with them now.

sounds like they wanted you to pay for the 'free' rims with the mounting and extras.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Curious, which vehicle, are you talking about. The Fiat 500, or smart car? I just read the same post on the Fiat forum.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well.... when in doubt, their own personal website isn't the LAST resort. If they're going to reject a negative review simply because it's negative.... post it elsewhere. Doesn't Google Maps have ratings for businesses? I'd even post there that they reject negative reviews such as yours simply because it may hurt their sales. "Let's make our business look better by making people think it doesn't suck."

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe he said it was on his Prius C which is neither a smart or a Fiat. Just making noise I guess.
Yep, i belong to both forums so i posted it in both forums. Same username in both forums so it's pretty obvious..LOL.
Jim i havent bothered to respond to them. Like you said, it's a waste of time. I am just letting my fellow forum members know of their prcactices is all...
And yes, that's how they offer the "get one free".....LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts