Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed any? I found a source and would like to know if anyone has done this to their new smart yet or if there are other solutions out there. I'd like to do it, it sounds like fun! It is a bit pricey and I wouldn't count on warranty coverage on the engine after putting it on though... Here's what I found:

Good Morning Tony,

LORINSER offers a Plug & Play ECU Engine Upgrade for the SMART 453!

It adds 10hp and 25 ft lbs torque. Power comes in sooner at 5300 rpm for noticeable gains.

MSRP $1549.00

Installation time is approx 20 minutes.

Rick Bonich
www.tunersource.com

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Yeah, they're offering Lorinser for the 453 and 451 to all the Brand Managers. They reached out to me as well! I won't offer it because I don't want to be held liable for any warranty issues.

But I will refer any interested folks to Madness Autoworks though.

·
Registered
883 Posts
The Smart Madness ECU upgrade for the 453 is a plug and play module - don't see it voiding warranty if removed before any service is done.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So has anyone actually installed and tried one of these yet?

I'm looking at purchasing the Smart Madness ECU but was really hoping they would have a black friday sale on that...

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
$1550, that's a lot.

The cdi remap we use up here in BC was typically $400 CAD (sometimes a tad less) and gave about 20 additional HP and 30 Nm more torque. That was a better performance/price ratio than Lorinser.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yeah, they're offering Lorinser for the 453 and 451 to all the Brand Managers. They reached out to me as well! I won't offer it because I don't want to be held liable for any warranty issues.

But I will refer any interested folks to Madness Autoworks though.

Why isn't MB/smart offering a similar plan to BMW? Which is, BMW will remap
your engine and, all OEM warranties apply?

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
So has anyone actually installed and tried one of these yet?

I'm looking at purchasing the Smart Madness ECU but was really hoping they would have a black friday sale on that...

Cyber Monday maybe?

Why isn't MB/smart offering a similar plan to BMW? Which is, BMW will remap
your engine and, all OEM warranties apply?

We have an '08 E90 335xi in the household. There were a ton of accessories available. Lots of people modify their BMWs, so there's a larger, more lucrative, market?

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
I suspect the Renault engine can take a bit more, and 15 HP doesn't seem like all that much to handle, notwithstanding the importer's warranty position.

So maybe it will be possible to make a more BRABUS-y BRABUS if an "all mouth and trousers" version comes to North America, by remapping.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
All the vehicles with a TCe 90 should have a similar tune. Go looking for a tuning box for a Clio or the like. I have yet to see anything sold by Madness that could not be found for less somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts