Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the best way to find out is to ask, I asked both Minneapolis and St. Paul if it'll be legal for a fortwo to park perpendicularly in what's normally a parallel spot. The answer? No. It encoded in statute, and it would have to be changed in order to allow it.

478.10. To be parallel to curb. No person shall stand or park a vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway, headed in the direction of traffic, with the curbside wheels of the vehicle within twelve (12) inches of the edge of the roadway, and not closer than four (4) feet to another vehicle parked at the curb, except as provided in section 478.30. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 411.010)
State law references: Similar provisions, M.S. § 169.35.

478.20. To be parallel to edge of roadway in absence of curb. Upon streets and highways not having a curb each vehicle stopped or parked shall be stopped or parked parallel with and to the right of the paved or improved or main-traveled part of the street or highway. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 411.020)
State law references: Similar provisions, M.S. § 169.35.

478.30. Angle parking. Upon those streets which have been marked or signed for angle parking, vehicles shall be parked at the angle to the curb indicated by such marks or signs. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 411.030)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And St. Paul, now

Just got my reply back from St. Paul: also a "No."

The response from St. Paul also added that both of the Twin Cities do not allow multiple cars, even if they fit, to park in a single metered space.

And as the major cities go, so also go the inner-ring suburbs.

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Now there's some forward thinking flexibility!!! Just one of many other issues we early adopters will face being the first kids on the block with somethin'...Goes with the territory. :(

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Any kind of unusual parking like that is bound to get you in trouble. Either with the cops or an annoyed fellow parker. Not worth the risk. Just imagine how easy it'll be to get into a normal parking spot and enjoy it! :)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Any kind of unusual parking like that is bound to get you in trouble. Either with the cops or an annoyed fellow parker. Not worth the risk. Just imagine how easy it'll be to get into a normal parking spot and enjoy it! :)

Yeah....you won't even have to pull up alongside the car in front and then back in with all that craziness and juggling the wheel...be able to just pull right in forward and park....That will be great!

·
Registered
798 Posts
The scary parking issue is head in parking when you have a big a** vehicle on your right. You back out slowly to get out of the space and onto the street--you can't see around the truck or whatever next to you and no oncoming cars can see you in the smart. So, will we will have to park with the end of our smart in line with the F-350 or Tacoma just so we can be seen?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just in the past couple weeks a friend received a parking ticket for not parking close enough to the curb, in an angled parking space . When downtown, I was definitely planning on leaving my smart tail near the end of the space so that other vehicle drivers do not become frustrated by moving up several more spaces only to find my smart taking up the desired space. (backing up downtown is not smart)

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
Another question to ask is:
What about two Smarts in one marked parking space ?

Are we renting the space ?

·
Banned
3,834 Posts
City of Williamsburg

The City of Williamsburg, VA ordinance is this:

"Sec. 11-183. Manner of stopping.
(a) Unless in an emergency or where otherwise indicated by signs or markers, or to allow another vehicle or pedestrians to cross in front, no vehicle shall be stopped in any street except close to and parallel with the curb of the street.
(b) Except as hereinafter provided, all vehicles parked on any street in the city shall be parked parallel to the curb, headed in the direction of travel, and with the right wheels of the vehicle within 12 inches of the curb, where the same exists. Where there is no curb, the vehicle shall be parked with the right wheels of the vehicle within 12 inches of the edge of the roadway or paved shoulder thereof, headed in the direction of travel. Where definite parking spaces are marked, vehicles shall be parked within the spaces so marked and shall conform to regulations concerning the time and manner of parking, where the same are posted.
(c) No vehicle shall be stopped with its left side to the curb except upon one-way streets.
(d) This section shall not apply to vehicles owned or operated by merchants while actually receiving and delivering merchandise, nor to vehicles stopped in loading zones in compliance with section 11-194."

The City does not have any metered parking nor angled parking on public streets, so that doesn't apply. Also, though it is addressed, there are no parallel parking spaces with pre-determined lengths. The City has been this way since the mid-, late-1600s.

·
Registered
90 Posts
more than one in a space

I owned a german Ford Fiesta in school, and always sqeezed it into spaces in downtown DC. Often it resulted in more than one car in a space. I did this after meter hours and never got a ticket. I guess they never knew which car "snuck" in and which was already there.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The scary parking issue is head in parking when you have a big a** vehicle on your right. You back out slowly to get out of the space and onto the street--you can't see around the truck or whatever next to you and no oncoming cars can see you in the smart. So, will we will have to park with the end of our smart in line with the F-350 or Tacoma just so we can be seen?
How about one of those orange flags on a long stick that bicycles use? Just mount it sticking straight back so that it flutters as you begin to back out! ;)

tm

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
How about one of those orange flags on a long stick that bicycles use? Just mount it sticking straight back so that it flutters as you begin to back out! ;)

tm
Just be thankful that you are 5" taller than in a mini, and that your eyeballs are closer to the back of the car than in a SUV. Hopefully if you back out slow, you'll see around the parked cars, eventually.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just in the past couple weeks a friend received a parking ticket for not parking close enough to the curb, in an angled parking space . When downtown, I was definitely planning on leaving my smart tail near the end of the space so that other vehicle drivers do not become frustrated by moving up several more spaces only to find my smart taking up the desired space. (backing up downtown is not smart)
If his car was as short as a mini or Miata and the tail was not sticking out, I would go fight the ticket as it is more of a safety hazzard to have the car all of the way forward. I always park my car with the back even with the majority of cars. It keeps the other people from hittin my bumper that back in to the spot in front of me and also keeps people from getting frustrated that there is not a spot available and keying my paint job.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since the best way to find out is to ask, I asked both Minneapolis and St. Paul if it'll be legal for a fortwo to park perpendicularly in what's normally a parallel spot. The answer? No. It encoded in statute, and it would have to be changed in order to allow it.

478.10. To be parallel to curb. No person shall stand or park a vehicle in a roadway other than parallel with the edge of the roadway, headed in the direction of traffic, with the curbside wheels of the vehicle within twelve (12) inches of the edge of the roadway, and not closer than four (4) feet to another vehicle parked at the curb, except as provided in section 478.30. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 411.010)
Wonder how they feel about motorcycles. Parking perpendicular is often the best option for lots of reasons. Sometimes it's the only option. Ever ridden a BMW K12? Really poorly designed kick stand (too tall). If there is ANY camber there is no way to park parallel or it'll tip over.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been doing that with motorcycles for years...

A few other tips that might cross from bikes to Smart:

Stay in the center of your lane at a traffic light or some idiot is bound to try to "squeeze" by you.

Assume that you are invisible. I also own a 1972 Triumph Spitfire (a rather small car in its own right). I have more people pull out on me when I am in the "Spit" than when I am on a motorcycle.

Leave yourself a "bubble of safety" on freeways. IOW, if possible leave room front, rear and sides. On a bike it is easy to accelerate into that place. I'm afraid that with the Smart I will have to think much farther ahead due to its lack of acceleration and top speed (w/respect to a MC). At least with the Smart there will be more protection should the unfortunate happen...plus I will stay dry in the rain!!

Of course I will not give up motorcycles...gotta have something for that "speed fix."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Unenforceable?

The response from St. Paul also added that both of the Twin Cities do not allow multiple cars, even if they fit, to park in a single metered space.
It seems to me that this rule is unenforceable.
If two cars fit into a single space, BOTH cars can claim, "I was there first! Its my space!", and put blame on the other car.

Unless the officer actually sees the second car pull into the space, the drivers of both cars have an excellent defense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts