Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a call from the dealership that my car will be ready for pickup sometime this month.

I will be paying cash and yet the dealer is requiring a volume of information that I feel should only be required if I were to be financing the purchase.
This is what they are asking for.
1. Social Security
2. DL #
3. DOB
4. Full name including middle
5. Current address/ telephone# and length of time there (must show at least 5 years)
6. Employment address/ telephone# and length of time employed (must show last 5 years)
7. Gross monthly income (before taxes)
8. How much are you going to put down?
9. Mothers maiden name
10. Position at job
11. Married? Dependents? How many? Ages?
12. Nearest relatives name, address, and phone #
13. Mortgage payment? Rent payment?
14. Two complete references (name, address, phone #)
15. Had any property repossessed?
16. Bankruptcy?
17. Pending lawsuits?
18. Military active?
19. Military reserve?
20. Military inactive?
21. Current vehicle financed with? Account #, address, and payment amount
22. Insurance provider? Policy #, address, phone #, agent name
23. Insurance ever been cancelled before? Reason?

I can understand providing name, address and SS#, insurance and drivers license but not the other info. In other words, 1,2,3,4,5 and 22 but the rest of it is invasive.

I have protested providing all of this but the sales person says that the government requires this info since 9/11. I have purchased 2 cars since 9/11 with cash and never been required to provide more than name address, ss# for cash purchase over $10000 form 8830 and dl and insurance info.

Am I missing something here?:confused:

·
Banned
661 Posts
I just received a call from the dealership that my car will be ready for pickup sometime this month.

I will be paying cash and yet the dealer is requiring a volume of information that I feel should only be required if I were to be financing the purchase.
This is what they are asking for.
1. Social Security
2. DL #
3. DOB
4. Full name including middle
5. Current address/ telephone# and length of time there (must show at least 5 years)
6. Employment address/ telephone# and length of time employed (must show last 5 years)
7. Gross monthly income (before taxes)
8. How much are you going to put down?
9. Mothers maiden name
10. Position at job
11. Married? Dependents? How many? Ages?
12. Nearest relatives name, address, and phone #
13. Mortgage payment? Rent payment?
14. Two complete references (name, address, phone #)
15. Had any property repossessed?
16. Bankruptcy?
17. Pending lawsuits?
18. Military active?
19. Military reserve?
20. Military inactive?
21. Current vehicle financed with? Account #, address, and payment amount
22. Insurance provider? Policy #, address, phone #, agent name
23. Insurance ever been cancelled before? Reason?

I can understand providing name, address and SS#, insurance and drivers license but not the other info. In other words, 1,2,3,4,5 and 22 but the rest of it is invasive.

I have protested providing all of this but the sales person says that the government requires this info since 9/11. I have purchased 2 cars since 9/11 with cash and never been required to provide more than name address, ss# for cash purchase over $10000 form 8830 and dl and insurance info.

Am I missing something here?:confused:
most of that is NOT required for a "cash" purchase, meaning greenbacks. anything else (including "cashiers" checks or "certified" checks) will likely require some type of further background. however, they never ever require your SS# unless they plan to run a credit report on you. if you are paying cash, you can refuse to fill out anything that you aren't comfortable with. The basic info stuff including address, titling name, DL# and insurance card are all that are required to make a "cash" purchase. if your sales person told you that, they are wrong. tell them to go fish.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Additionally, I would say feel free to get creative with your responses.
If it's obviously not a government form that has explicit legalese on it, have some fun.
If someone has no right to certain information, I feel they have a right to get whatever I feel like giving them. :)
Obviously don't get blatantly creative ;)
Also don't be shy about saying that you need to take the form home and lookup some of the information, don't force them to make you fill it out on the spot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Seems to me you shouldn't have to give them any info they don't need except for the car title. Give them the check and tell them you will wait for it to clear before you pick up the car. Your DL will have your DOB, and current address. You should only need proof of insurance if you finance the car and they have something to lose if you crash it, or it gets stolen etc. The rest they don't need. I agree with you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
IANAL (I am not a Lawyer), but I would certainly not consider most of that any of the dealers business. Preserve your privacy... or tell him you need the same information (SSN, etc) from him to complete the purchase. Since you are already familiar with the money laundering form (8830), demand an explanation as to what else the feds want and where exactly it goes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I paid cash for my Honda fit, If the cash is more than $9,999.00 the dealer told me they must send a form to the IRS about the transaction. The sales manager said it was related to the government trying to identify and control the flow of cash generated from sales of illegal drugs. They perferred a personal check and would only deliver the car after the check cleared. I explained I had just sold a car for cash and he could send whatever was required to the IRS, he did need names, addresses and SSAN. About a month after the sale, the dealer sent me a copy of the form they sent to the IRS. A few years before that we bought a Jaguar, there was a sign in plain sight that clearly stated no cars will be sold for cash.

·
Banned
661 Posts
I paid cash for my Honda fit, If the cash is more than $9,999.00 the dealer told me they must send a form to the IRS about the transaction. The sales manager said it was related to the government trying to identify and control the flow of cash generated from sales of illegal drugs. They perferred a personal check and would only deliver the car after the check cleared. I explained I had just sold a car for cash and he could send whatever was required to the IRS, he did need names, addresses and SSAN. About a month after the sale, the dealer sent me a copy of the form they sent to the IRS. A few years before that we bought a Jaguar, there was a sign in plain sight that clearly stated no cars will be sold for cash.
yes, all that is somewhat true, although i believe they are less interested with the drug money connection than the terrorist connection. however, the IRS form does not include anything about your work history, spouse, mothers maiden name, etc. that's a straight TRW app.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am so tired of everyone insisting on my SSN. It wasn't intended as a personal ID number, and shouldn't be used as one now. I refuse to release it whenever possible, and give them as lot of grief when the transaction stalls because of it.

And we wonder why identity theft is so prevalent anymore. :mad:

Oh yeah, most of the rest of it is none of their business either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The only data I provided was Names, addresses and SSAN. I don't remember if the source of the money was on the form, but I did tell the Sales manager.

I was never asked about the other things mentioned.

·
Banned
661 Posts
The only data I provided was Names, addresses and SSAN. I don't remember if the source of the money was on the form, but I did tell the Sales manager.

I was never asked about the other things mentioned.
source of the money is none of their business and i would think is some type of privacy law violation. can't see them asking that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I asked our dealer if a personal check would work for payment, here's the reply "As far as payment we will take a personal check as long as we can run your credit, otherwise we require a bank check." I'm guessing the credit check is to obviate the need for waiting for the personal check to clear before taking the car.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I purchased a $47,500 vehicle in January 2007. I did not give my dealer any of that information except what was necessary for the title.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your swift replies in support of my point. I don't think that any of this information is anyones business if I am not seeking financing. Furthermore, some of it should not be required for financing.

Just to be clear because I may have been confusing when I first posted this message, I am not really talking about a cash purchase as in greenbacks. I am not planning on taking actual cash to the dealer as in 160, 100 dollar bills. so the irs form for cash purchases over $10000 really is not at issue either.

I should have stated that I am not seeking financing. I will either write a personal check or cashiers check for the purchase. When I explained this to the sales person he did not back down. I can't find anything on the internet about a dealer requiring my mother's maiden name to purchase a car. Not to mention that they want 2 references. Am I applying for a job or the right to drive a car?

I am still confused as to why the dealer needs this information.

Here is his response

Yes, unfortunately whether or not you provide me with the info ahead of time, you will have to before we can complete your delivery. I like to get as much filled in ahead of time so that it makes the delivery quick and easy when you arrive. Otherwise I have to spend time inputting it while your here waiting. And yes, this is the standard for any car purchase whether or not you are applying for finance with us. The DMV needs most of the information for registration purposes and after 9-11 the government has gotten much more strict when purchasing anything large like a car.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I asked our dealer if a personal check would work for payment, here's the reply "As far as payment we will take a personal check as long as we can run your credit, otherwise we require a bank check." I'm guessing the credit check is to obviate the need for waiting for the personal check to clear before taking the car.
I bought a Scion xD in October 2007 and asked the Toyota/Scion Dealer if I could pay by personal check. They too said I could as long as they could run a credit check, otherwise they would require a bank check. They ran the credit check, I wrote the personal check and had my keys shortly thereafter.

Teapots (patiently waiting):)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here is his response

Yes, unfortunately whether or not you provide me with the info ahead of time, you will have to before we can complete your delivery. I like to get as much filled in ahead of time so that it makes the delivery quick and easy when you arrive. Otherwise I have to spend time inputting it while your here waiting. And yes, this is the standard for any car purchase whether or not you are applying for finance with us. The DMV needs most of the information for registration purposes and after 9-11 the government has gotten much more strict when purchasing anything large like a car.
He is handing you a line. Tell him to wait until the car comes in...

By the way, did you mention what dealer.

Teapots :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
phishing?

Thank you all for your swift replies in support of my point. I don't think that any of this information is anyones business if I am not seeking financing. Furthermore, some of it should not be required for financing.

Just to be clear because I may have been confusing when I first posted this message, I am not really talking about a cash purchase as in greenbacks. I am not planning on taking actual cash to the dealer as in 160, 100 dollar bills. so the irs form for cash purchases over $10000 really is not at issue either.

I should have stated that I am not seeking financing. I will either write a personal check or cashiers check for the purchase. When I explained this to the sales person he did not back down. I can't find anything on the internet about a dealer requiring my mother's maiden name to purchase a car. Not to mention that they want 2 references. Am I applying for a job or the right to drive a car?

Here is his response

Is this salesman going phishing? :confused: Certainly smells phishy.

·
Banned
661 Posts

Here is his response

If you are paying by personal check, they will run a TRW on you. you won't have a choice unfortunately. if it's a bank check and they can call and verify funds on the bank check, then you don't give them jack ****e other than registration info. i paid by personal check when i got mine and they gave me a credit form longer than the one for my mortgage. i left 90% of it blank and was very vague on the rest. i know my credit is good and don't need to justify anything. did not provide any bank account info other than the name. they can get everything they need for TRW with your SS.

i would ask to deal directly with the finance manger since that is who will be handling the docs anyway. it's good that the salesperson wants to be prepared, he's just going a little overboard.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
I paid cash too and

The dealer told me he needed info for "Homeland Security" WTF?

He handed me a credit application. I filled out my name, address and employer info and that is it. I did not sign the document. I didn't authorize a credit check or any of that bu*****t the form asks for.

They took my personal check on Sunday and delivered the car on Monday.

When it comes to filling out the paperwork, don't devulge and don't sign.

·
Registered
970 Posts
bonniejeans, are you in California? Maybe you can request a copy of whatever notice or IRS/DMV/Whomever statement that specifies that they 'require' this information? Who defines this as 'standard' if you are not financing through them? I certainly would not want to provide those details.

Maybe we can flip it around, bring a legally binding contract stating that if we provide this information they in turn will be bound not to share it or enter into their own database, and are liable if your identity is stolen or if you are otherwise compromised by leaking/sharing of your personal sensitive information.

·
Banned
661 Posts
The dealer told me he needed info for "Homeland Security" WTF?

He handed me a credit application. I filled out my name, address and employer info and that is it. I did not sign the document. I didn't authorize a credit check or any of that bu*****t the form asks for.

They took my personal check on Sunday and delivered the car on Monday.

When it comes to filling out the paperwork, don't devulge and don't sign.
did you provide your SS? if you did, i guarantee you they ran a TRW if you wrote a personal check. unless your dad owns the dealership :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.