Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
They are probably setting you up for financing. The dealers make a significant profit when they sell you their finance plan. This way they can run a TRW on you and be ready to go with the full court press when you are handed over to the guy selling credit life, disability,rustproofing,paint glaze, etc..... It's a profit thing.
That's precisely what he's doing. When buyer shows up, all the F&I bases are covered**- because you've provided all needed credit info.

The easiest way for a cash sale is to provide a certified cashier's check from your major financial institution and complete the sale during normal business hours. Dealership calls bank** confirms validity of check** and off ya go. I've done it here in CA with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I paid for mine in full(certified check)and all they wanted was my name and address. I can't see any need for anything else.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wrote a personal check for mine ,I told the business manager I could get a cashiers check if he wanted ,he said it wasn't needed ,the only 2 pieces of ID I gave hime were my drivers licence and insurance card , I honestly dont remember if he asked for my SS #

·
Registered
659 Posts
I wrote a personal check for mine ,I told the business manager I could get a cashiers check if he wanted ,he said it wasn't needed ,the only 2 pieces of ID I gave hime were my drivers licence and insurance card , I honestly dont remember if he asked for my SS #
I just got back from my dealer in Charlotte in preparation for my babies arrival tomorrow and he said basically the same, a personal check is fine, no credit check is necessary, and have my ins card. Pretty painless.

·
Banned
5,087 Posts
i'm not sure what the big deal is. can't understand why ANYONE in this day and age would even WANT to walk around with $15-20K CASH in their pocket:confused:

if you either write a personal check or give them a cashiers/certified check, all they would ask for is 'I.D.' such as a drivers license and your insurance card to show that you do have coverage when you drive off the lot. that should be it.

if they ask for more, "just say NO"....paying for it IN FULL today. i'm getting my financing set up in advance so that i can walk in and do the same....whenever THAT may be:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Round Rock told me on the phone I do not need to get final cashiers check ( I called for final price out the door so I could arrive with correct amount check) Said personal check is fine with ID and Insurance card....

My last Truck purchase the dealer would not take a credit card or personal check
Bank was literally across the street so no big deal

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
So you're going to get your smartie soon.....

Round Rock told me on the phone I do not need to get final cashiers check ( I called for final price out the door so I could arrive with correct amount check) Said personal check is fine with ID and Insurance card....

My last Truck purchase the dealer would not take a credit card or personal check
GOOD FOR YOU, FRED!!

You're gonna love it! Everyday I drive mine it seems to get better and better in all ways....like it is actually learning how I drive and being accomodating by smoothing out all the wrinkles.....:)

Good luck with it, Fred! Hope yours is as good as mine has been. Top mileage so far is 41.5 mpg...lowest was 36...I am not a granny driver, though....:rolleyes:

John

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
377 long and frustrating days....

car is actually there, I am in Seattle...arrgh

Thanks smartUSA for all the Insider info ( he said dripping with sarcasem)....... butt heads

Sincere thanks to all the SCOA folk who put up with my frustration...

I know it is/was a pain... but I calles it as I sees it... this has NOT been fun

·
Banned
5,087 Posts

can't say i blame them. the credit card companies charge a percentage, so why should THEY take the 'hit' when you can just bring a personal check?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Seattle dealer would take no more than 10% of final price on a credit card.

I had $15,000.00 in 1994 Benjamins, put the rest on the American Xpress. Had to fill out the IRS sheet, the rest I mainly left blank. They seemed surprised at "real money" had to call in a second dude to count it and initial the envelope and walk it to the safe together. Dam you'd think it was a million.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
No wonder I missed this thread. It's ancient!

I can't understand the need to use cash for such a large purchase.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have protested providing all of this but the sales person says that the government requires this info since 9/11.

Your sales person is spewing more "bovine fertilizer" than a herd of cattle that've gotten into the Ex-Lax...

All they need is the appropriate information for titling the car. Period. End of sentence.

If they insist they need it because "the government says so," make them produce a written copy of the law that mandates it. I'll bet you my next paycheck that they can't, because NO SUCH LAW EXISTS. If they still insist, tell 'em "forget it" and walk away. No sale. There are other dealerships that don't play fast 'n loose like that.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
It's been a law for quite a few years that cash transactions over $10k require extensive documentation. If you're not financing a car and paying with a personal check, that works sooooo much easier than cash.

Section 6050I (26 United States Code
(U.S.C.) 6050I) and 31 U.S.C. 5331
require that certain information be
reported to the IRS and the Financial
Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN).

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
A little off topic: I recently attempted an online purchase for just under $1400. The merchant first required a Fax of my driver's license along with both the front and back of my debit card. I was requesting delivery to my business address, different from my billing address. So, they then requested a Fax of something with my name accociated with the shipping address I'd given ... and I complied. THEN, they requested a Fax of a recent utility bill (which would not show the shipping address). After almost a week of this BS, I agreed to have the order shipped to the billing address. That started a greivance with UPS, which is another story. The online merchant got a sale off of me, but I will never buy from them again, and have not helped their word-of-mouth reputation. I placed a more substantial order with a different company for a similar amount who only required live telephone confirmation. No, I wasn't plopping paper money down on the counter in a brick & mortar store in either case. But, I wasn't using credit either. And, the difference in proceedure from one merchant to the next is striking. In the former, if they needed those three faxes of four items to confirm the order they should've told me that from the start. Instead of an initial request, followed by a second request, and then a third request and finally, a change from my preferred shipping address before they would ship. I guarantee they will not have me as a repeat customer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Good lord. I wrote the dealer a personal check and just had to give them info for the title and insurance info and took Tiny Red home with me that day.

Sounds like some serious BS and I'm afraid I'd be asking serious questions as to why they wanted that info (as in 'no chance, jerk').

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
NCC - I used to have an online merchant account with Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc. The processors will sometimes require ID verification for purchases shipped to an address other than billing, but the merchant knows this up front - they should have made that clear. The verification is to protect the merchant from a chargeback in case of fraud; without that documentation you can call them up and say you never ordered the product, and they'd be up a creek.

I bought two cars for cash (personal check) in '91 and '92 with no real hassle... my first experience with financing a car was in '97 and that documentation was more thorough. I never had to answer most of the OP's questions... that dealer's going too far. SSN is a government ID used for social security; the fact that the banking industry has gotten away with using it despite rules to the contrary is amazing. There's no reason to identify someone by SSN for a cash purchase except for more recent terrorism and money laundering laws - which they should be able to document. Drivers license should suffice for insurance; some states require insurance on day one.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Checks are fine.

Again, the deluge of questions is for large cash transactions in the form of... cash. Personal checks have a trace-back to the person providing the funds so the information is available if the DEA, homeland security, or the IRS have a need to look closer at an multitude of suspicious transactions.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.