Smart Car of America Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I always like to try that tact with the IRS.
The IRS wouldn't ask for information like my mother's maiden name. If they do, they can piss up a rope.

Despite the IRS's best efforts, one is still innocent of any crime until proven guilty in a court of law.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
And I'll just bet that next comes" I pay your salary", and "I'll have your job". To which I always replied, "Your name is nowhere on my check", and "Take it".
Getting back on track, if you are dumb enough to walk into a car dealer with 15 to 25K on your person, the IRS is dumb enough to DEMAND to know where it came from. If you pay by check, all they need is name, address, and proof of insurance. If you're borrowing (begging for) money, they can pretty much ask for whatever floats their boat.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
A lot of what can be required is driven by state law - there are 11 (at last count, to my knowledge) states that have made it illegal to ask for SSN for anything OTHER than SSN business (and that counts the IRS). South Carolina requires proof of insurance before the sale can be completed. Other states have other requirements. And yes, for 10k+ transactions, there is a homeland security requirement to report it. In the case of banks, they often have to hold the check being deposited for an obscene period of time (10 days, with incremental release of funds across that period) - all to prevent laundering of money (it doesn't) and financing terrorists (it doesn't).

Welcome to the new millenium!

·
He's not mine
9,611 Posts
NCC - I used to have an online merchant account with Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc. The processors will sometimes require ID verification for purchases shipped to an address other than billing, but the merchant knows this up front - they should have made that clear. The verification is to protect the merchant from a chargeback in case of fraud; without that documentation you can call them up and say you never ordered the product, and they'd be up a creek.
Of course I am aware of that. But, that does not describe the experience I had with this particular merchant. Perhaps my description was too muddy. End of tangent.

·
Banned
214 Posts
I just received a call from the dealership that my car will be ready for pickup sometime this month.

I will be paying cash and yet the dealer is requiring a volume of information that I feel should only be required if I were to be financing the purchase.
This is what they are asking for.
1. Social Security
2. DL #
3. DOB
4. Full name including middle
5. Current address/ telephone# and length of time there (must show at least 5 years)
6. Employment address/ telephone# and length of time employed (must show last 5 years)
7. Gross monthly income (before taxes)
8. How much are you going to put down?
9. Mothers maiden name
10. Position at job
11. Married? Dependents? How many? Ages?
12. Nearest relatives name, address, and phone #
13. Mortgage payment? Rent payment?
14. Two complete references (name, address, phone #)
15. Had any property repossessed?
16. Bankruptcy?
17. Pending lawsuits?
18. Military active?
19. Military reserve?
20. Military inactive?
21. Current vehicle financed with? Account #, address, and payment amount
22. Insurance provider? Policy #, address, phone #, agent name
23. Insurance ever been cancelled before? Reason?

I can understand providing name, address and SS#, insurance and drivers license but not the other info. In other words, 1,2,3,4,5 and 22 but the rest of it is invasive.

I have protested providing all of this but the sales person says that the government requires this info since 9/11. I have purchased 2 cars since 9/11 with cash and never been required to provide more than name address, ss# for cash purchase over $10000 form 8830 and dl and insurance info.

Am I missing something here?:confused:
mbmahattan would not accept cash for a 2018 Smart ED in February of 2018, period.

The day a Manhattan dealer would not accept cash was the day for me that we are at the tipping point. If you carry excessive amounts of cash, there is only one reason for it. You are a criminal and guilty until proven innocent.

During the remainder of 2018 I did notice that many business' are not accepting cash at all.

So I have to believe they would rather accept a bad personal check. Kidding.

Our government is making it hard to use cash. In every area of the gov war against, (put word here) it is plain that all is vanity.

I hope you didn’t feel slighted because you shouldn’t. It is certainly not your fault. It is not worth going through all the documentation or putting your name on anything that isn’t absolutely necessary.

I would recommend you stop the purchase. Wait. Go to a different dealer in a few months with a certified check. Just my thoughts and the way I live. I wouldn’t put my ideas on anyone.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.