Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,391 Posts
smart owners are their own worst enemy...

37 signatures on Skippy's petition as of this morning. The message to smart USA and smart Germany is pretty clear - there's no interest in the forfour coming to the USA. :(

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
With all due respect to the OP and the cause - I don't sign petitions that IMHO may not be for the greater good?

Reality check - we have a NICHE brand on life support in the U.S. that in six years has been unable to grow the dealer network, a business decision and huge inve$tment that most M-B dealers appear hesitant to make.

The next LARGE hurdle stateside for smart and smartUSA is to survive a "lame duck year" as they roll ED out nationwide AND await the introduction of a new 453 fortwo. This will require that the remaining smart Centers increase their inve$tment in infrastructure (ED charging stations) and parts to support our 451, ED and the ALL NEW 453 fortwo.

IF you were to bring the Twingo forfour variant you only add to the inve$tment required of your local dealer in both parts and new car inventory - probably a hard sell?

It may be best to "stay the course" until we see just where the new 453 fortwo takes the brand in the U.S. BEFORE even contemplating a need for a forfour or for me, a roadster?

Just my two cents . . . :2cents:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
A petition for a 4/4 is senseless. A few enthusiasts will discover the petition, and fewer will sign it. This will give the appearance of a lack of interest. The last petition got a handful signatures... what do we expect this time – two handfuls? I'd love to see the 4/4 here, but a petition is no basis to judge its potential popularity.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I got an idea. Petition Roger Penske to do it all over again! If anyone can bring the forfour to USA, it is him.

He's got experience setting up shop from scratch and bringing me my '08 fortwo and completing all the servicing of my fortwo for the first half of my car's mileage; so I know he can do it.

*Bonus: Service your 453 fortwo by his dealerships instead of MB, yay!:Thankyou:

·
Registered
665 Posts
:(
I got an idea. Petition Roger Penske to do it all over again! If anyone can bring the forfour to USA, it is him.

He's got experience setting up shop from scratch and bringing me my '08 fortwo and completing all the servicing of my fortwo for the first half of my car's mileage; so I know he can do it.

*Bonus: Service your 453 fortwo by his dealerships instead of MB, yay!:Thankyou:

I have to wonder if MB is considering the forfour in an ED version. While still not coming to North America, it might make sense in Europe and maybe other countries.

Then again if GM launches the Bolt EV in 2017 in North America in all 50 states ( Canada too?), there might be a business case to be made for a forfour ED to be brought here.

I might be a bit behind the times in my learning, but when GM rolled out the Bolt in Detroit and Chicago at the beginning of the year, they touted some really impressive numbers.

A 200 mile range and an 80% charge in 45 minutes. To be built in Michigan at the Orion Assembly plant and at a price of roughly $35,000 before any state grants.

Even if we don't get a forfour ED here, the technology that has been uncovered by LG might find it's way into the fortwo and that would really be impressive.

I'm quite happy with the range of the Munchkin, but there are times when a little more distance wouldn't hurt and also a little more room to let 'the kids' enjoy the ride too. Yeah a two door and a four door, in ED flavour, does appeal....MB can you make it so?:wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I for one would not sign it cause that may end the 2 door model and I would be out of a new car. We haul ours sideways on back of an HDT. Nothing else on the market is short enough for this.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't think the forfour would do at all well, as it competes directly with proven sedans like Toyotas and Hondas. It's not as unique as the fortwo, and has none of the fortwo's appeal. People forgot how bad Fiats were and bought lots of them. Now Fiats rate at the very bottom of the list in customer satisfaction. The same thing may happen if Americans buy enough Renaults, like the Twingo (forfour).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3209738/Survey-Recalls-make-Americans-satisfied-cars.html

·
Banned
844 Posts
I don't think the forfour would do at all well, as it competes directly with proven sedans like Toyotas and Hondas. It's not as unique as the fortwo, and has none of the fortwo's appeal. People forgot how bad Fiats were and bought lots of them. Now Fiats rate at the very bottom of the list in customer satisfaction. The same thing may happen if Americans buy enough Renaults, like the Twingo (forfour).

Fiat ranks last 2015 American Consumer Satisfaction Index | Daily Mail Online
the only reason i'd buy a forfour is to drop out of the "rat race" and drive for Uber (or another service). then it would be a "write off" with depreciation, maintenance and all that good stuff. >:D

·
Registered
3,293 Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3209738/Survey-Recalls-make-Americans-satisfied-cars.html

I think this is the closest I read to my understanding why the forfour is not planned here. It would be too close, and hence competes with Mercedes' own lower/cheaper than C-Class CLA-Class. Why buy that when one could just get a CLA instead? (I think I read this point in one of the car magazines....)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts