Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection: built by Pininfarina, powered by a 1.6L Kugelfischer injected 404 engine, Nardi floor shifter for the C3 type manual. They're lovely cars to drive - 404s were my daily driver for 10 years through the 1980s.

I've owned this car for more than 28 years and I am having it restored. Mechanical work is being done at home; bodywork by Coachwerks in Victoria BC, an award-winning shop that specializes in 300 SL restoration.

November 26, 2016 - dismantling:

November 28 - NOS body panels to media blaster

December 7 - Shell on flatbed, on its way to the media blaster

December 20 - shell is back from the blaster

January 7, 2017 - floors removed

January 14 - floor reconstruction with NOS parts underway

January 20 - new suspension bushings installed, new hardware, repainted steel suspension arms

January 28 - left rear fender off, internal rust repairs underway, new fender skin ready, floors are completed

February 10 - both rear fenders welded on, internal repairs completed

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
February 18 - major front end surgery is underway

February 25 - test fitting the new fenders after internal reconstruction has been done

March 25 - inner fender/strut towers rebuilt, plus area below battery box

March 31 - the shell has been reconstructed completely, time for the paint preparation

ETA for being back on the road is 2018, probably later in the year, but possibly spring 2019. Transmission needs new bearings and the engine needs a light rebuild (it will get a full rebuild anyway).

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
A worthy project for a gorgeous classic. So glad that you're doing it right.

Do you have a color & material concept to finish it?

Looking forward to watching the journey!!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A worthy project for a gorgeous classic. So glad that you're doing it right.

Do you have a color & material concept to finish it?

Looking forward to watching the journey!!
Thank you.

Yes sir, I do have a colour in mind, it's the original colour called Bleu Foncé 1057 (Dark Blue 1057), a solid blue that is a shade or two lighter than navy blue. I was not a fan of the Blanc Arosa 1132 (Arosa White 1132) that the car came with.

For the interior, the original matching interior would have been light grey cloth seating. I am thinking of light grey leather instead. Could also be convinced to do light grey Alcantara (I think the leather would be cheaper!).

The paint should be done in about a month or so.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A bit of trivia about the car. It's a long story so I'll skip the details, but I am in touch with the sons of the dealer in Bramalea Ontario Canada who sold this car when it was new. They remember it because:

1. it was the only 404C their dealer ever sold - these were $4800 cars in 1966-67;

2. the sons used to work at the dealership;

3. their parents drove this very car across Canada to Victoria BC to deliver it to its buyer, after he had used it for a short time in eastern Canada in 1967.

One of them has taken a keen interest in the car and its restoration and he has gone to the trouble of making me a few original dealership stickers, so I can have one on the left rear panel! He will set eyes on the car for the first time in 50 years this summer.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did post a condensed version of this process here. If you would like to see more detail, some of the most intimate steps of the reconstruction process are hosted on Coachwerks' website. Click on Updates 1 and 2 for the detailed photos:

Arrival

I can also offer up some details on the mechanical work from time to time, if it's of interest.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I made a short visit to Coachwerks today, despite having the f'ng flu. The entire body has been painted in epoxy and the insides have been painted in Dark Blue. The car was covered in plastic so I couldn't get a good shot, but the attached photo (first one) indicates the colour reasonably well. Dark Blue (Bleu Foncé) 1057, is the official name of the shade and the shop used my official Peugeot colour chip card from 1966 to match it.

For comparison, here in similar lighting conditions is a photo of the Coupé of my friend Tim in Victoria BC, he told me that the colour his car was painted 25 years ago was about one shade too light. So I think they've got it right.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
It will be a stunning color, setting off every nuance of the car's handsome lines – a perfect Peugeot color.

So much for the theory of a month until paint time, no?

Feel better!

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Steven.

The blocking of the main exterior panels still remains to be done so it will be a couple more weeks I should imagine, before a top coat is applied. But seeing some fresh colour on the car was a treat after all these years of her being one step away from the scrapyard, sitting in my garage!

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
..that's a beautiful blue tone...and with the gray leather will be stunning....

Jetfuel.....thanks for the pics....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is not a lot to report on the bodyshell other than it has the anti gravel undercoat on it now.

Friday afternoon I reassembled the struts, with new grease seals, new roller bearings for the steering swivels, new rubber boot and new upper cups. *That factory spring compressor is fantastic!

·
Registered
8,976 Posts
..great news....progress.....
...stay focus my friend...
...I know what is like to be surrounded by auto parts that require attention...it's not easy to stay focus....one can loose track with sooooo many parts and even with short term tasks...

Jetfuel....can't say it enough.....stay focus with " today's " task....

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Work continues. Wow does the blue ever look dark when the car is in the shop! It's the same paint that you see on the last page in the engine compartment!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts