Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Round two of plated hardware:

Replated taillights that I got a couple of weeks ago, this time reassembled. One of the turn signal bulb bases had to be replated due to corrosion and all of the lens screws were replated too.

6 months ago I was desperate to find one of these. Instead I found an earlier version with the same threading that had to be turned down on a lathe to make it fit. Then a couple weeks ago, I found this.....in the same box where I found the others. So I had it replated for future considerations.....

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
I was away in Prince George last weekend with my wife but on the way we managed to squeeze some 404 action in: I stopped by John Coltman's house in Barriere BC and he gave me a bunch of NOS 404 parts, plus some old KF2 injection parts and lots of spare fasteners and hardware.

On the way back home I bought a huge sheet of rubber for making the pedal box gasket and inner fender rubber seals. Tonight I made a new gasket, took about 15 minutes. It's on the car already, on the studs in the footwell waiting for the pedal box to be mounted (months from now, I don't want the pedals in the way early on in the reassembly process).

Old one on right, my replica on the left.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Last weekend:

Dashboard's Pininfarina sign has been replated:

....and mounted on the dashboard's stainless steel trim panel. Note the stainless trim to the left of the instrument cluster, it's not original but I like it.

Water pump pulleys. The one with red insulation is the one I propose to use, because it's in better condition than the original with the cracked insulation. I painted both anyway. The old one still works fine.

Wiring harness reinstallation. The bit that pops through the rear bulkhead into the trunk was worrying me because it was a bear to remove but it slid back into place beautifully. You can barely see here the flat black concealing plate that the wiring harness goes through to get to the front. The fuse box has been clipped back into place below the A-pillar. Next step is to get the front of the harness installed. That should be somewhat more complicated!

Today I got my new remanufactured bumper irons (for the side front bumper mounts) for my Coupé, made by Richard Gretau in Bordeaux:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Think about how they would have installed the wiring harness at the factory. I was concerned about this when I completely dismantled and rebuilt one of my motorcycles, but it actually almost fell into place. It's designed to go together easily as it goes down the assembly line. (and that doesn't mean it will be easy to deal with afterwards!) If something is fighting you, you are probably putting something together in the wrong sequence.

Nice work, by the way.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Yes, that is good advice.

I think that the process was quite different than going in all as one piece. This is a pre-quick multi connector harness (which, in the 404, came in model year 1967) so it's a little more complicated. When I took the harness out, I did it in one piece, all wires still connected to the fuse box. But I think when the harness was installed at the factory, the sub harnesses went in individually and were connected to the fuse box later, once installed.

So I will likely disconnect them and do it that way.

All the wire ends are labelled with numerical codes as well as green tape flags I installed when removed, so I won't have to be married to the wiring diagram during reassembly.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Bit of work done over the past weeks:

Sending unit mounted (I found the screws!), put new o-rings on three screws that secure the unit to the tank

Front bumper mounted, slight adjustments required

Under bumper spoiler that was fitted to 1962-1966 404C models

Rear bumper mounted, license plate light, fuel filler, plus I improved the hood release cable, mounted the battery buffers and found the missing hardware for the windshield washers

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Holy cow, Mike... you’ve really made a lot of progress lately. You must be giddy with excitement with the finish line coming into focus. Happy??

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
It looks more impressive than it is....there is a LOT of other work to do as well! But she's looking like a car again. Pretty happy about that!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Tail lights are mounted with 3M non-drying putty in behind the vinyl gasket to keep water out of the trunk/rear fenders.* I also put new cage nuts in the rear side bumper mounts, sealed them also with 3M putty so they won't leak and temporarily installed the trunk lid seal, which is perfect!

·
Super Moderator
1,291 Posts
I spy a ponton Benz between the Smart and the Pugeot.

219 or 220?

Subs
My guess is a 190 because of the tail lights.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 14,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 4,000 miles
1959 220S cabriolet - just sold - it's on a ship on its way to Malta

·
Registered
148 Posts
A few pages back, there is an image of another Peugeot for color reference, and the butt of an old Benz is in the same photo.

I have a '59 219. Fer sale, too.

Subs

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Ah right, that's my friend's car. He thinks it was repainted too light a blue but she still looks good. Mine's a lot darker.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #80

Painted the steering column today. Looks pretty decent now. It was rusty in the lower engine compartment area.

61 - 80 of 132 Posts