Smart Car of America Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Jute-backed vinyl sound deadening glued onto cowl panel today. I also cleaned up the front brake cylinder springs and reassembled the rear brake proportioning valve.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,982 Posts
Baby steps....baby steps...can you see the light at the end of the tunnel??
As you reassemble yours I took mine apart Saturday...

Jetfuel....keeping busy is easy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I will cut more of the vinyl stuff like on the cowl for the rear trunk panel and the inside of the rear fenders in the trunk this coming weekend. I will also order some 5/16 inch cunifer tubing for the fuel feed line and fuel return line (fuel injected car, remember!). May install some of the brake lines and new hoses too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Bent up the 8 mm copper-nickel tubing for the 2 fuel lines - using the old ones as a template and zap strapping them together during the bending.

Then I mounted all the hard brake and fuel lines under the car. In the process I cleaned the garage floor, with my hair. 6 hours all in.
62238
62239
62240
62241
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Last week I finished the brake line fabrication and also made and installed the fuel lines.

Then today I had about 4 hours to get some things done, so I cut the inner rear fender protectant and trunk floor insulation, mounted it, put the rubber mat in and clipped it into place with the 4 large modern plastic clips (better than the rubber originals and easier to use!). Then I mounted the front fuel line retainer that holds the two fuel lines at the front end of the car, mounted the cage nuts on the road wheels and finally glued the seal to the fresh air intake.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Sander May's stainless steel replica exhaust, with NOS Peugeot heat shield installed. The diameter of the replica resonator is a bit smaller than the original in mild steel, so I had to make up a couple of small spacers in aluminium to allow the bands to clamp onto the body. Soon to be mounted on the car. The third photo shows one spacer, which is on the upper side of the resonator, so it's not visible from below.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
After yesterday's repair to the broken captive bolt on the foam backed lower dashboard pad, today it was successfully mounted:
Dashboard-pads.jpg

Light, horn and turn indicator controls installed, plus wheel of course:
Steering-wheel.jpg

Note the cover for the column shifter, part of the original Nardi floor shifter kit:
Steering-column.jpg

Trimmed the fresh air intake seal so the hood could close!
IMG-5720.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
A bit of light work after Christmas:

1) wired up the extra interior light so it is a map light only (independent of the ceiling light)...may decide to change that later so it works with the doors too.

2) mounted the electric screen washer pump behind the steering column and got some new tubing to fit, as well as a new ABS T-fitting. Installed a one way valve so it won't drain back when not in use.

3) developed a wiring diagram to connect the Swedish market two speed rotary wiper switch, which also has a push function to operate the screen washer. The first owner fitted two speed wipers when the car was a few years old but I didn't like the rocker switch he used.



Next I will tackle wiring up the switch or install the driver's door upholstery panel. May even attempt the rear window installation if I get ambitious enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
On Saturday the driver's door panel got mounted. You might think it's a 10 minute job, but it's not. The replica upper door panel is for a Cabriolet and required a whole lot of modification to fit.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Machined door jamb plates riveted in with original plastic rivets.




Stainless steel rear exhaust mounted with original Peugeot OE belts/hangers:




And the middle section is mounted too, held in place temporarily with a zap strap:




Flexible hose between floor and torque tube mounted to my homemade brake lines:





Right front brake hose mounted (the end is capped):




And left front (you can see the cap on the end in this photo):




Left front side bumper mount added. The cage nut had flown the coop many years ago and so getting the long bolt started into the nut I was hanging onto with a dab of butyl was a bit of a challenge but it worked better than my attempt with magnets!



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
F & F Safety Plate, the brand of windshield fitted to my car since at least January 1973, when...
windshield-brand.jpg



the last vehicle test was done (not required since 1983)
City-test-sticker.jpg



And the windshield is in!
Windshhield-installed.jpg
 
121 - 132 of 132 Posts
Top