Smart Car of America Forum banner

161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
...seat belts...?....seat belts....?...we don't need no seat belts...
...where's the engine at Mike???

Jetfuel....you're killing me...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Nowhere at the moment....waiting for some cash to build up so I can pay for machining services. Also waiting for my NOS cam to arrive on the slow boat from Germany.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Seat belts mounted

High temperature paint on the brake shoes - rear linings need to be changed

Whipped the brush holder out of the the SEV-Motorola alternator - dirty inside

Brush holder before cleaning

clean slip rings

Remounting. (the bolts holding the brush holder in are 1/8 inch, which is neither nor 5.5 mm. American parts!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Rear brakes mounted - handbrake connected and able to hold the car! A good step forward.

LR-brake.jpg
RR-brake.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Curious as to why you didn't install a new spring kit? There may not be a kit part number available but you could match up the springs from a picture guide & make up your own spring kits.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
They are new old stock springs and needed a coat of paint. Nothing wrong with them. I have another full set of NOS springs too but they too would be painted before installation. Replicas are available in Europe but they're not as good as the originals, tending to snap.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Front cylinders assembled:

Autopsy on the old oil pump - trashed inside. The new one is perfect but of a slightly different form. I will have to use a later type oil strainer with it. Luckily I have one, but I would rather use a new one if I can find one.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Brakes mounted.

It seems I may have lost or at least misplaced the brass connections between the front brake hoses and the forward brake cylinder. The hose can be screwed straight in but that's not correct. I'll find two of them somewhere.
Driver side front brake spring detail.jpg

RF wheel on.jpg

RF brake detail.jpg

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
My new camshaft from Germany should arrive soon as well as my new oil strainer from France. I'll post photos when they arrive. I have to contact an engine shop near Victoria to arrange for the valve seats, crank grind, engine block hot tank and balancing. I hope to have that stuff in the shop by late August.

The valve cover, timing cover, sump and one wheel are in the powder coating shop right now, all being done in gloss black.

I also ordered a set of 0.5 mm oversized main bearings from Peugeot so I will have all sizes available. I have three cranks so one should be good to go.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
This arrived from Sochaux France (Peugeot Classic) this morning. I have another shipment of stuff arriving from the same source in the middle of next week. The long-awaited camshaft will be bailed out of the post office by me tomorrow morning (some duties are payable on that because it was expensive). I'll post a photo when it is here.

Oil pump filter 2.jpg

Oil Pump filter new 1.jpg

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
$82 CAD is like 43 US cents (just kidding). Yes, it is all sales tax: federal and provincial VAT, combined.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #176 (Edited)
I ordered some 0.5 mm oversized main bearings sent from Peugeot but they sent the wrong ones - three main bearing lead-Indium 404 Injection mains 0.3 mm oversized (visible in the photo). So the correct ones have been sent today, and it seems they don't want the incorrect ones back.

Also in the shipment were the things in the photo. New stainless steel instrument panel trim for when I eventually build the Jaeger sports instrument panel, plus a spare oil pressure sending unit.

In the bag are some original type small diameter hose clamps for the heater hoses.
I also got some English language owners manuals of cars I've had (404C) or wanted (504C).

The latest bit (504 C owners manual, La Production Peugeot 1963 and a first edition 404 Cabriolet French language owners manual should be here soon.

I will work on extracting the sludge trap plugs from the crankshaft this weekend. Likely have to drill all 4 out.

A set of the missing brass banjo fittings for the front drums has been sent by a kind soul in France, a 404 Club member - free! I'll send him something as a thank you.
Sochaux parts.jpg

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Here are the powdercoated valve cover, timing cover and sump. Plus the spare wheel and coil holder. Looking good - despite the photo being taken in the light rain.

In the cardboard box is an 0.5 mm oversize set of mains from l'Aventure Peugeot, but two of them have chattering marks on them from bad storage so I have just ordered another set of NOS from a guy in Israel, who has good photos of the bearing surfaces.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Unrelated to the restoration but I got these today. English language 504 C manual (my Dad wanted to buy one when we lived in the Netherlands in 1971 but he was told it would be illegal to import to Canada, which I think was wrong because he was in the armed forces and could have brought a non-conforming car back). French language 404 cabriolet manual, first edition I think. 1963 catalogue of all the various vehicles Peugeot made in 1963.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
If anyone has tips for how to non-destructively clean cast aluminum - specifically, the throttle body, and two parts of the huge intake manifold - I'm all ears. They're a little stained and dirty-looking. It's raw cast aluminum. I suppose silver paint could help but I'm not sure I want to go there.

Apart from cleaning, the throttle body needs to be disassembled and cleaned out, just as a precaution. I have new bearings for the throttle plate axle, if needed. I probably want to plate some of the associated hardware as well.

But I'm going on holiday for two weeks so not much is going to happen, I expect, but if it does, I'll post it here.

161 - 180 of 208 Posts