Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is more for the cali folks who have experience with PG&E electric rate plan:

which one better tiered plan(E1)?

or their EV-A plan? (home and electric vehicle combined, since i don't have dedicated meter for electric vehicle) how reduced rates do we get?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm on PG&E's EV-A plan and saving a huge amount versus the standard tiered plan. But your mileage may differ. If you don't have an electric vehicle the EV-A plan will work out to be more expensive than the standard schedule. In my case, I have a 240 volt level 2 EVSE and thus am able to do all my charging in the off-peak hours of midnight to 7 a.m. If you only have the 110 volt EVSE and can't take advantage of the off-peak pricing the savings are diminished. I have a Volt and a 40 mile each way commute. So I'm doing a full charge each weekday night. Each charge is equivalent to about a gallon of gas and I'm paying about 45 cents for each night's charge.

I just looked at the PG&E website and it appears I was grandfathered into a slightly different plan than is currently offered by PG&E. I suggest setting up an Excel spreadsheet and doing some what-if calculations.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Is it a Time-of-Use plan, with both the EV and the house on TOU, with flats rates depending on when you use power, or is it a tiered plan?

I went on SDG&E's whole-house TOU plan and it saved me a bunch of money, but at my house no one uses power between noon and 6pm when the expensive rate applies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts