Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why I limit my freeway driving in Houston in my Smart Car...

Just too many big trucks rooming the freeways of Houston...

Any small vehicle is at risk...

Unfortunately...the driver of this Smart is in critical condition...

FYI...the accident was not caused by the driver of the Smart Car...

·
17,372 Posts
Just too many big trucks rooming the freeways of Houston...

Any s̶m̶a̶l̶l̶ vehicle is at risk...
Man, you really aren't doing anything but supporting the "rolling coffin" myth. There's not a single car I can think of that'll do good against a semi tractor...

·
17,372 Posts

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, you really aren't doing anything but supporting the "rolling coffin" myth. There's not a single car I can think of that'll do good against a semi tractor...
I not supporting any myth or conspiracy...very simply stated ..the Houston freeways are extremely overcrowded with excessive truck traffic...in this driving environment...a larger vehicle feels more secure!

·
17,372 Posts
I not supporting any myth or conspiracy...very simply stated ..the Houston freeways are extremely overcrowded with excessive truck traffic...in this driving environment...a larger vehicle feels more secure!
Fair enough. :)

My mum's GMC Envoy XL is 19 feet of American 4x4...but that thing has the stability of a slow spinning dreidel. And looking at real life crashes and crash test results, will crumple like a can the very first chance it gets.

What I think this article really is missing out on, is the fact that the driver was ejected. Looking at the photos, the windscreen was 100% intact. A suction cup phone/GPS mount is even on there. There's no damage on the top of the Tridion Cell, so it didn't roll. There no way this person was wearing their seatbelt,

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Neon,
Normally I would agree with you, but in the photo of the rear end, it appears that the driver's seat is fully reclined, suggesting the car hit something going backwards (spun around?). This could cause the driver's weight to flatten the seat backward, and potentially allow the driver to be ejected through the hatchback as was noted in the article.

So, while I agree with everyone that we should wear seatbelts, it is not obvious to me that the driver was not wearing her seatbelt.

·
17,372 Posts
Even if the seat is hyper reclined like that, the seatbelt should theoretically keep the person at least in the vehicle. The lap part of the belt would have been tensed along with the shoulder part of the belt.

It could be possible that the ratcheting system in the seat failed due to excessive force, and somehow the driver was literally sucked out, but that just sounds really odd.

Guess we have to let the investigators figure out exactly what happened....

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK, kids - I drive the Houston freeways every day of the week and once or twice on the weekends. My thinking is that I am a smaller target. This is particularly true on roads under construction where the lanes are more narrow than normal. I also relish driving a car that offers some amazing engineering in its "crash box" design.

·
Banned
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, kids - I drive the Houston freeways every day of the week and once or twice on the weekends. My thinking is that I am a smaller target. This is particularly true on roads under construction where the lanes are more narrow than normal. I also relish driving a car that offers some amazing engineering in its "crash box" design.
Unfortunately in Houston...being a smaller target means they never see you when they change lanes!

In Houston being a "larger" target is preferable...too many F150's on the road!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts