Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
17,346 Posts
I spy Barney, Jetfuel, Krusty, and Jwight! :)

Kinda hoping to see Fred's iQ though...

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
Mallory Square can be fun at sunset.
I see the tethered TV Marti transmitter is still floating above Cujoe Key! Or is it Pine Key, I don't remember, it's been so long... :D

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
The International Broadcasting Bureau supervised by the BBG (Broadcasting Board of Governors, a special unit of the Congress), and before that USIA asked the USAF to come up with a proposal for TV and Radio Marti.
Television transmitters had to have "direct" view of the targeted audience: Cuba. Cujoe Key and the tethered blimp was the winning solution.
The irony was that to reach the Cubans TV Marti was using local frequencies while their own programs were off the air. There's more, but I won't tell it here: boring. :D

As of 2004, all TARS sites except one were equipped with the 420K aerostats. The exception is Cudjoe Key, which uses two smaller, but otherwise similar, Lockheed Martin 275K blimps. One carries the L-88(V)3, a light-weight L-88 derivative, while the other is used to transmit the "TV Marti" TV program into Cuba.[2]
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tethered_Aerostat_Radar_System

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Those are some very cool photos, and BTW that photobucket link was very annoying. Anytime i clicked to the next photo, it kept playing that silly coffee ad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts