Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dragon Photos/videos.

We folks who aren't there would love to see photos/videos as available. We understand that connectivity in the slums of Fontana is limited, and some such may not be possible until your return to civilization.

·
OTD2 lifetime Member
291 Posts
Well don't know about the slums.. but I am sitting in my cabin and have full Wifi signal. But then again I haven't taken any pictures yet.. been too busy hanging out with the other smarties in our air conditioned group room, practicing at the shooting range, eating good food and exploring Franklin NC, mining for gems, and driving with the top down with gorgeous weather.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
We folks who aren't there would love to see photos/videos as available. We understand that connectivity in the slums of Fontana is limited, and some such may not be possible until your return to civilization.
Things have majorly improved. I had no T Mobile coverage as expected but my smart phone had WIFI in any building including my Cabana room facing away from the pool. I was able to make phone calls via Wifi with no problem.
The Oak room is used for Bingo and dining such that the tables made it a little more difficult to move around and visit with different people. The pavilion was much more accessible and adjacent to the Car Wash station. If they build another Pavilion, it should have a car wash station and plentiful parking around it as well.
We can't be the only car club that appreciated the pavilion.
We missed you NCC1701, ATL smart Aleck, and MBDNA too.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
With Verizon my cell phone reception was at one bar at the Oak Suite in Fontana Village but at no service at my room. Cellular service was good on the Foothills Parkway.

Service at the front desk at Fontana was fantastic as Tammi was a great help for me in getting the rally instructions together after a computer problem stopped me in my tracks

Bill, Alison, and spouses hosted a wonderful gathering in an area that makes driving a smart car much more fun than it was designed to be.

I would like to thank all of you that participated in the car show and road rally that were sponsored by Smart Madness.

Fun people having fun in a funny little car...sounds like fun to me. The Smoky Mountain National Park, the Dragon, the Foothills Parkway, Moonshiner 28,and for some the Cherohala Skyway were the backdrop, our smarts were the transportation, but the crazy to dignified characters that come to Fontana for OTD made for one heck of a good time this weekend. Now if we can figure out how to control the pesky Wrapping Flu bug that bit too many smarts this weekend we can have more fun next year.
Mick

Attachments

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
More pictures:
Local wildlife in search of a good spot to take the group photo but finding chiggers instead. (Actually is Terri from Smart Center Knoxville who brought many goodies for some lucky smart drivers. Thank you Terri)

Some real wildlife showing an affectionate bull elk spotted along the road rally route.

A picture showing some contrast that can be seen just looking at the Smokies from the seat of a smart showing the rough square hewn post and rail next to the sleek straight lines of a metal railing in front of the undulating green mountains under a blue sky with unthreatening layered clouds.

Smarts on the Saturday Gap Run

Rich and Max in Max's beautiful 450 Cabrio with the factory black with silver hydro-dipped paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Whenever two smarts meet in a parking lot stories will be swapped and a party may break out. :spots:

Over the weekend, Helen may have worn every OTD polo in her wardrobe as she mourned not being there. We truly missed our wild and crazy smart friends! :burnout:

Then again, it saved me a stack of $100 bills in that auction for the Orange Crate . . . :whistle:

·
Registered
274 Posts
The Oak room is used for Bingo and dining such that the tables made it a little more difficult to move around and visit with different people. The pavilion was much more accessible and adjacent to the Car Wash station. If they build another Pavilion, it should have a car wash station and plentiful parking around it as well.

We can't be the only car club that appreciated the pavilion.
Honestly we didn't know we weren't getting the Pavillion till just a couple of months ago. Fontana made the decision to do the build out there after we signed the contract. The Oak Room was the only option we were given :shrug:

That said... there should have been a light in that parking lot... I had a clip on light on my list of stuff to bring but forgot it in FL. Also, the hope was that more people would sit outside on the porch area but the weather didn't really lend itself to that.

We weren't even home yet before we started discussing options for next year. Fontana has no plans at this time to build another pavilion so the search is on for an alternative location that can support both the size of our group (70-80 people) as well as some of the events that participants have come to enjoy (Thursday and Saturday night dinners) and we'd prefer an area that has access all the time so people can congregate as they come and go. It's a bit tricky but we'll figure it out.

I know Microtel has been mentioned in the past but the room there is smaller than the Oak Suite was.

·
Registered
449 Posts
IMO, apart from the Oak Suite not being suitable, Fontana works well. What about the "Carolina Room", or whatever it is, in the actual lodge? It seems pretty big to me. Those pesky teenagers had it for their breakfast when we were there, but I would think it could potentially work. Still not as convenient as the pavilion was, but it seems like it would have the space for the group at least, and probably could be accessible round the clock.

·
Registered
274 Posts
IMO, apart from the Oak Suite not being suitable, Fontana works well. What about the "Carolina Room", or whatever it is, in the actual lodge? It seems pretty big to me. Those pesky teenagers had it for their breakfast when we were there, but I would think it could potentially work. Still not as convenient as the pavilion was, but it seems like it would have the space for the group at least, and probably could be accessible round the clock.
Ironically, the Carolina Room was host to the first Saturday night dinner at OTD 2009. We had Dave S. from smartUSA fly in to talk to us. Great times. :( Unfortunately it's not an option for what we need.

There are spaces available but Fontana requires that you use their catering services if you rent them. That significantly increases the cost of the event past the breaking point. Our challenge is to find a space that can hold 60-80 people where we can bring in our own food or having catering services offered that are at a reasonable figure.

We've got some great ideas... and we've got plenty of time... maybe we can get it closer to Ottawa. :D

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Victor, I'm bummed out you could not make it this year. You always add some interest to these meets! I hope I'll see you again soon!
And, if you need more of the organizer things, I have a few more I can send you with pleasure!
Big hug to you!

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Loving the photos y'all! Nice to see that you at least got some rain. The Dragon is especially fun when wet & overcast (IMO of course), fewer bikers.

Hard to believe it's only been 13 months since the Nationals in Colorado ...
seems longer than that to me.

Dora, sorry I couldn't be there. Those organizers/dividers are an indispensable part of my car now, thanks!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts