Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Final Note & Directions - Fairview Park 5/14

It looks like a light turnout, but we'll still have a good group
Note that the Eureka Springs event has been delayed, and this is the ONLY current summer event
The weather looks good, and we have a covered shelter anyway
----------------------------
St. Louis/MOKan smart picnic
May 14, Columbia, MO, Fairview Park (Easy Directions below)
We're going to meet at 11AM

We plan to gather, cook, eat and socialize. Then we'll have a short drive to get familiar with the area, and arrange a group photo . From there, folks can visit on their own. NOTE - There are two well attended Farmer Markets, open from 8 to noon with produce and farm products.

• We'll meet in Fairview Park which has BBQ cooking facilities and a covered pavilion (just in case) We'll make sure everyone who answers has clear directions. The park is close to I70, and easy to find.
  • It will be a bring your own meat/grill item, drinks and cooking tools, with everyone bringing a pot luck style item.
  • We will bring paper products, disposable utensils, charcoal, trash bags, and a variety of condiments. Marcia will have fresh sliced onions, lettuce and tomatoes.
  • Thanks to Beth Mead of the Columbia tourism office, we'll have handouts & suggestions of places to visit in the area
  • The O'Hagans, a volunteer couple from the tourism group will give a brief talk and answer questions about the area.
[SIZE=+2]IMPORTANT!! - If you are coming, please send a note quickly to this forum with number in your party
[or to Andrew Teague at [email protected] for St. Louis area (or east of Columbia) or Bob Storck at [email protected] for Kansas City area [/SIZE](or west of Columbia)] CELL 816-943-0060 - Just in case

AND tell us what you're bringing for your pot luck item - here are suggestions: *we're light on these items

• snack item*
  • casserole/covered dish*
  • vegetables*
  • salad
  • dessert
Please bring enough for 6 or more people. Bring your cooking tools and serving utensils for your dish.
----------------------
Directions to Fairview Park 1001 S Fairview Rd, Columbia MO

From I70 take exit #124 onto N. Stadium/Rt 740
>> at top of exit ramp turn South,
>> (from St Louis, turn left, from Kansas City, turn right)
>> Continue on Stadium approx. 1/2 mile
>>
>> At Broadway turn right/west
>> Go about 5 blocks to S. Fairview
>>
>> Turn left/south onto S Fairview
>> go approx. 5 long blocks
>> Fairview park is on the right.
>>
>> Park along the street on right side or use Fairview School parking lot adjacent to the park

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well, we got all but 2 of the STL group coming with a couple of new! Little more than 10 cars total to the picnic, light but decent turnout. Come on last min people! :D

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Any other photo's? Look's like you guys had a pretty good turn out. Wish we could have gone!!! We had to move our daughter back from KU, to home yesterday. Curious how was the weather in Columbia? It was cold yesterday in Lawrence Ks.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
It looks like you guys had fun even if the turnout was lighter than you would have liked.

It was shirt sleeve and top down weather in Spring, TX.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
7 STL, 1 Columbia, 2 KC and 1 Texas (ran off before photo op).. :D
After being a nice 75-80F all week, it drops for our picnic to a nice 55F. The Sun peaked out for all of 5 min.

Thanks Marcia, that ice cream was great dispite the weather not cooperating! Gathered around the grill and eating it was amusing...

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Brisk!!

7 STL, 1 Columbia, 2 KC and 1 Texas (ran off before photo op).. :D
After being a nice 75-80F all week, it drops for our picnic to a nice 55F. The Sun peaked out for all of 5 min.

Thanks Marcia, that ice cream was great dispite the weather not cooperating! Gathered around the grill and eating it was amusing...
Special recognition is due to NeWave (Andrew Teague) for spark plugging this fun event, and to our hostess with the mostest, mews (Marcia Worrell) who found our excellent backup picnic site, assembled all the little details like ice, charcoal, sandwich dressing veggies and then got individual cups of home made honey ice cream from the farmer's market! Delectable!!!

The O'Hagans, David and Diane, graciously gave us individual input on the charms of Columbia, which they do every week as volunteers at the city visitor bureau.

I'll confess to a private benefit, when Marcia treated me to a custom omlette breakfast from culinary school chefs at the market ... ruined my lunch, but I didn't care!

Thanks to Jim Heidorn for his great photography which conveys a lot of the fellowship we enjoyed.

Cheers, Bob

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure why the photos are not showing up. I am able to click on them to show in a separate window, so I know that the links were good. I will also share the online library in case anyone wants to download them.

MobileMe Gallery

I give up on trying to get photos to post. I have even tried adding photos to my albums on here and it will not take. File size is small enough, and won't even upload 1 photo. This is one of the most difficult sites I am on when trying to load photos.

With the above link, feel free to download and use.

Jim

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Photos

Thanks for the great pix. The scan is impressive, and the crowd gathered around the charcoal cooker eating Marcia's ice cream is wonderful.

Cheers, Bob

41 - 52 of 52 Posts