Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey forum friends
I have been starting to do some custom work on local smart cars lately. I thought I would start this thread and update it as I get more stuff done on various cars. I am still working on the first car but I already have a couple in line after that. If you live in MI or want to ship the car I am willing to do all kinds of stuff. From engine conversions to body mod's to crazy stereo systems and everything in between, the work will be unique and show quality!

This is the start of the first project car, it belongs to Bill O from www.itibitismart.com . Bill wanted to add some ambient lighting for the interior of his car, we ended up putting red LED lights in the door handles, door panels, and under the dash. We are going to be installing more this week, I will keep you updated.
While I was doing the lights, Bill installed a couple of badges in his tailgate, these badges have a bunch of information about his car and the smart company. He ended up recessing them in the tailgate. Everything is turning out really well...Here are some pics.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I like those door LED's, pretty slick looking !

Are they on all the time, or do they only come on when the tranny is in park (and ignition on) ? Having someone new in the car (who doesn't know where everything is) at night and you come to a stop, put it in park and everything lights up, would be the bees knees !!

I'd prefer the "park" method as I prefer the cab dark while driving. It's not like I need to know where the door handle is while I'm tooling down the highway.... :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We hooked the lights up to a switch that can be turned on even when the key isnt in the car (like at a car show)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Great job, I like the way it turned out. I just put in a remote starter on my 2009 pure coupe and now maybe some accent lighting is in order.

·
17,353 Posts
Holy cow Boeschbuilt! :)

Geniusparts and SmartMadness are now my favorites!!!

I won't tell who's number 1 of the two but I will give you a hint: red interior lighting, hayabusa upgrade...:)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got Bill's car finished, we ended up (dotting the eyes) on the itibiti logo on the back. Also, we put 18 LED's in the tailgate, turned out great!...check it out!!...

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Fantastic!!!!

Could you move to Tampa for me??? I love the look of the LED's but can't seem to get the electrical worked out....

Feel like a working vacation? :D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fantastic!!!!

Could you move to Tampa for me??? I love the look of the LED's but can't seem to get the electrical worked out....

Feel like a working vacation? :D
I am thinking I may show up to the national smart car rally next year with a canopy and a tool box and do some installs:hackitup:

If you want to see even more pictures they are here:
billo's itibitismart - itibiti's ambient led tailgate lighting
and here
billo's itibitismart - itibiti's ambient led boot lighting

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The Nationals? I still would like the exhaust but I can't install it.I had my cruise installed at the Dells meet and that was great.Does your exhaust still fit if I have the Curt trailer hitch?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not sure if the exhaust would fit with a trailer hitch. If I had to guess I would say no. If you want to send me some pictures of your set-up between now and then I will see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the brand new Cabrio all done, the customer (Steve) was very happy.
He already had a lot of cool parts that he had switched over from his last car, this is all of the stuff I did to it:
* H.I.D. headlights.
* Re-routed new antenna wire because the HID lights made the radio buzz.
* Mounted blue LED lights behind door handles, in map pockets, beside the gauge cluster, and a rope under the dash.
* Put 12 LED's in the trunk that come on automaticly when you open the tailgate. (this is a really cool mod, the pictures do not do it justice!)
* Two white LED's are in the glove box that come on when you open the glove box.
* Installed prototype Genius cold air intake.
* Installed Genius armrest and spotlight flashlight.
* Painted brake rotor hats, drums, and calipers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts