Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been waiting for a solution since the Apple iPhone 5 was released. My old radio was the Pioneer App Radio 1 which works great with the iPhone 4s and back. Pioneer however did not anticipate the digital video upgrade to the iPhone 5 from the analog video iPhone 4. My App Radio was useless for quite some time.

The new App Radio requires a Pioneer HDMI cable kit and an Apple HDMI TV Adapter for the Lightning connector (Androids require another Kit). The Pioneer App Radio 1 only had 2 outputs which limited the sound of my separates and JL Audio Subwoofer enclosure. The New Pioneer App Radio 2 has 4 channel outputs so my front channel is the main speakers (Pioneer Premier 6 3/4" Separates) and the Rear channel drives my JL Audio Sub Woofer.

This new system definetely woke up the sound, everything sounds so much better. I also have Dynamat installed to the outer door panel, which brings out the bass even more.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes: some have bemoaned the transition to the Lighting connector, in particular the BMW owners whose OEM stereo showed the iPhone's screen and which died on iPhone 5 because iPhone 5 outputs no analog video and requires instead an adapter (which actually houses the video output processor with its own OS!, even though it looks like just any old wire adapter...).

Nonetheless, as you've found out, the Lighting connector is, in fact, more expansible and more future-proof, with a higher quality final output level both for audio and video.

·
Registered
225 Posts
you like the radio. pioneer does not make the radio. first one was made by advent. the app radio 2 not sure. more software updates will be in your future. good thing pioneer pushes the software out to that first before they do there navi units.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have an AppRadio 3 on order. (and the Parking Brake Override Bypass)

I'm going to use the Jailbreak AppRadio Extension package for complete iOS integration.
(can use ANY and all apps then) Full multi-touch support as if it was an iPAD! :)

Using iPhone as my exclusive GPS device is the way to go. Screw the crappy built in GPS other units have. I won't miss my junky Kenwood DNX either

AppRadio Extensions 2.0 Beta - Full iPhone control - AppRadio, AppRadio 2, AppRadio 3 - AVIC411.com

I wonder what OBD-II Hardware this guy installed in his Smart to enable full DashCommand readouts of the Smart. (it's not in English)

Part 1)

Part 2)

Part 3)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts