Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the dealer install a AVIC-F900BT. It came with Bluetooth for my I-Phone, Backup Camera for backing out at the store, Sirius Radio for those long trips, GPS since I don't like asking for Directions and a DVD player when you want to go to your car at lunch and watch a movie. I love it. I think it really adds to the smart experience. With the adapter it fits well into the dash. It's one of the first things people see when they look at the dash, and I really think it makes a good impression on people. I would recommend it for everyone. You just have to remember to put the parking break on to set the destination. It took me two hours of trying to add my home address and then I gave up and read the instructions. RTFM, Read The Freakin Manual. One problem, the radio doesn't work with the I-phone plugged in to the USB slot even though they say it will. I read where the I-phone wont work when you upgrade to I-phone 2.0. I hope Pioneer will come out with a patch. The Manual doesn't say it works with the I-phone, but pioneer's web page does.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the same, there is a way to overide the Parking Brake (not break) mode, so hat your "Co-pilot" can navigate for you. It's on eBay, search for Avic F900BT and there will be several sellers for this modification. I use me iphone 3G via bluetooth, no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same, there is a way to overide the Parking Brake (not break) mode, so hat your "Co-pilot" can navigate for you. It's on eBay, search for Avic F900BT and there will be several sellers for this modification. I use me iphone 3G via bluetooth, no problem.
Please don't do this. those ebay listing for avic bypasses are scammers selling you a guide thats avalible free online. At avic411.com they have a full bypass guide with pictures for the F series avic's. It's a very, very easy modification.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had the dealer install a AVIC-F900BT. It came with Bluetooth for my I-Phone, Backup Camera for backing out at the store, Sirius Radio for those long trips, GPS since I don't like asking for Directions and a DVD player when you want to go to your car at lunch and watch a movie. I love it. I think it really adds to the smart experience. With the adapter it fits well into the dash. It's one of the first things people see when they look at the dash, and I really think it makes a good impression on people. I would recommend it for everyone. You just have to remember to put the parking break on to set the destination. It took me two hours of trying to add my home address and then I gave up and read the instructions. RTFM, Read The Freakin Manual. One problem, the radio doesn't work with the I-phone plugged in to the USB slot even though they say it will. I read where the I-phone wont work when you upgrade to I-phone 2.0. I hope Pioneer will come out with a patch. The Manual doesn't say it works with the I-phone, but pioneer's web page does.
which dealer did you get ur smart from?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have bluetooth on my current car and people I talk to complain about the audio quality. What are you finding with this model? Another question has to do with ipods. I would like the system to remember where I was on my ipod when I turned the car off. Does this unit remember or does it always go to a default location?

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
If this headunit only works when the handbrake is on, it must be connected to the handbrake switch for it to know when it is on. Surely all you have to do is take that wire and either earth it or apply 12v for it to think the handbrake is on.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I never understood why they won't let you set the nav while driving, what if a passenger wants to use it? It's one of the reasons I've been holding back on the new MB C-Class. I have the last C-class with nav and it works all the time, the new C-Class nav, which is a ridiculous $3K, won't let you set a destination while driving either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 700bt and I can use the nav functions just fine while moving. I did not do the install, so I don't know how they wired it, but I can do absolutely everything with the unit while moving, so it is possible, at least with a 700bt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
any one hook up an avic themselves? i cant seem to get the harnesses to like each other, ie the sub and tweeters being controlled as rears and the door spearkers as fronts...

·
Registered
225 Posts
^^^ i bet i know the person who installed the 900,sat radio,ipod, and back up camera :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:. you did not happen to get a yellow smart with black racing stripes did you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Someone told me this unit takes over 2 minutes to boot up. Is that true? If this is the case I changed my mind about it. That is unacceptable.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Whoaaaaa 1999 for the medium line of that unit. I paid $800 and 23 for the harness. I did the install myself. I even jumpered the unit so that I only have to ground the mute wire along with the ebrake wire. You should look on Avic411.com. That site has everything from hacks to installs and map wiring for certain cars. Anyhow I got it all set up and working..

·
Registered
274 Posts
I installed an avic z-2. It's amazing how some things can be controlled only with the brake on yet I can scroll for 10 minutes to find a song on my iPod. I can make voice command phone calls by saying call favorite and an number, but I can't make a voice call by saying call so and so. I also can't access the phone book while driving. I just don't get why it's ok to touch the screen 30 times to find a song, but it's not ok to touch it 2 or 3 times to find a phone number or a nav point? The hack for mine required software hacking and I didn't want to do it. I thought about getting the z-3 for my next car, but I'm definately going to have to do better research before plunking down that much cash again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed an avic z-2. It's amazing how some things can be controlled only with the brake on yet I can scroll for 10 minutes to find a song on my iPod. I can make voice command phone calls by saying call favorite and an number, but I can't make a voice call by saying call so and so. I also can't access the phone book while driving. I just don't get why it's ok to touch the screen 30 times to find a song, but it's not ok to touch it 2 or 3 times to find a phone number or a nav point? The hack for mine required software hacking and I didn't want to do it. I thought about getting the z-3 for my next car, but I'm definately going to have to do better research before plunking down that much cash again.
AVIC411.com :: View topic - AVIC-Z2 Pre/Post-June Bypass Files

The z2 bypass seems to be inserting a cd, and grounding the parking brake. Not a whole lot of risk there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts